Home Cigar 101
Options

Building a cigar?

beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
Dwelling on this stick that I'm smoking, noticing the changes as it progresses down the length and just wondered. Has anyone rolled a cigar with different leaves along the length of the cigar? Say big ligero flavor at the foot and milder further down? Just curious. Figured someone here might know.

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I'm pretty much a noob myself, but I know some other brothers here can answer that for you, but from reading around a bit myself I think its because cigars aren't rolled that way, the leaves are rolled in a few certain ways but its bunched long-ways so it burns correctly. I think kinda like the leaves are rolled in individual tubes or bunched and rolled so the air passages are in the direction of the length of the cigar, not horizontally across the tube or it prob wouldn't burn at all.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on cigar rolling, but I suspect it's because most of the nutrients in every leaf are in the center of the leaf as opposed to the tips. That may be what affects the flavors.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Wayne touched on it a bit. Each leaf has a "sweet spot" where most of the flavor/nutrients reside. Also, when bunching the leaves, the buncher will start with whole leaves, one at a time, fan them in his palm and when done picking the blend, will tear off the excess at the end and bunch it back in. Therefore, parts of the cigar may end up with slighly more ligero because an extra bit of that leaf ended up in that portion of the cigar. Tough to explain, but watch some youtube videos of cigars being bunched and you'll see what I'm talking about.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    Dwelling on this stick that I'm smoking, noticing the changes as it progresses down the length and just wondered. Has anyone rolled a cigar with different leaves along the length of the cigar? Say big ligero flavor at the foot and milder further down? Just curious. Figured someone here might know.
    there is such a cigar. it is the viaje 50/50. the blend actually changes half way through. if i am not mistaken the second half is much stronger than the first.

as far as sweet spots and what not, you should read through my blending 101 thread found in my signature. the second page deals quite a bit with this concept. it also show how different vitolas are more complex than others and why.

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    there is such a cigar. it is the viaje 50/50. the blend actually changes half way through. if i am not mistaken the second half is much stronger than the first.

as far as sweet spots and what not, you should read through my blending 101 thread found in my signature. the second page deals quite a bit with this concept. it also show how different vitolas are more complex than others and why.

I did a quick Google search and found that they made at least 2 (meaning I only saw 2) different 50/50's, a black label that goes basically from full to fuller and a red label that goes from medium to full. Definitely an interesting idea, I'd love to check one of those out someday!
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Ken Light:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:

I did a quick Google search and found that they made at least 2 (meaning I only saw 2) different 50/50's, a black label that goes basically from full to fuller and a red label that goes from medium to full. Definitely an interesting idea, I'd love to check one of those out someday!
    they arent amazing but they are decent. and the distinction in the blends happens very fast. for me it was a 50/50 black and the transition ( if i remember correctly) took 3-4 puffs. it may actually take longer but when i started to actually notice the change it was done changing after 3-4.
  • Options
    It would appear then that such a cigar might be better constructed with the cut leaves. I don't know. Maybe its like the guy who wants tobacco ice cream. Just lookin for new stuff to try.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    It would appear then that such a cigar might be better constructed with the cut leaves. I don't know. Maybe its like the guy who wants tobacco ice cream. Just lookin for new stuff to try.
    you mean short filler?
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    beatnic:
    THEY HAVE TOBACCO ICE CREAM?!?!?!?!
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    beatnic:
    THEY HAVE TOBACCO ICE CREAM?!?!?!?!
    you didnt see the thread in the non-cigar section?

if you have an ice cream maker you can make it yourself.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    you mean short filler?
    Yes. I guess it would be possible to have different grades all the way down.
    FWIW I have broken open several filled cigars and they were all different. Some were fine, fine pieces and others bunched up, broken and torn leaves. I know Ccom has different fillers for their house blends. I was just wondering if anyone had tried.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    you mean short filler?
    FWIW I have broken open several filled cigars and they were all different. Some were fine, fine pieces and others bunched up, broken and torn leaves. I know Ccom has different fillers for their house blends. I was just wondering if anyone had tried.
    short filler cigars are mostly made with "scrap" and are made by machines. getting the filler to transition would be difficult at best.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:
    you mean short filler?
    short filler cigars are mostly made with "scrap" and are made by machines. getting the filler to transition would be difficult at best.
    Not necessarily. The ccom House Blends that I have dissected had mixed sized filler in the middle, several layers of hand rolled, long leaf binder and a hand rolled wrapper.
  • Options
    that is mixed filler, not short filler.
  • Options
    Short, mixed, filler, pieces, parts. Hell, call it whatever. I just posed a question on if anyone had known of anyone who has done it. I think I'll go down to the factory and have a roller make a special mixture for me.
  • Options
    bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:

My shop owner rolls one he calls the Change-Up. He rolls it with either 2 or three different wrapper leaves along the length of the cigar.