Home Cigar 101

What I do wrong.

I have been smoking cigars for about a month. I smoked cigarettes for 20 years, and quit 17 years ago.

Of course, I have nothing aged or rested yet, I smoke 'em as I get 'em. I've got some put back. 2 x 100 count humidors with good cigars, a tupperware with some crap cigars, and a lock box with some $2 stuff. Getting 61 good cigars from CCom tomorrow.

I'm smoking 4 or 5 cigars a day, too much?

I hold the cigars between my index and middle finger sometimes.

I hold the cigar between my teeth sometimes.

I inhale a little bit. Gives me a bit better taste and feel for the cigar.

I smoke 'em down past where the ring was.

I offend my dog with my cigars.

I smoke while driving.

So, comments, suggestions?

-Chuck

Comments

• fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    My limit is about 4 a day and that can skew your palate. I do not care how you hold your cigars, I leave that to snobs. Instead of inhaling try blowing a little of the smoke back out your nose for enhanced flavor. On a good cigar I will remove the band on it and smoke it till it burns my fingers, the dog is on his own and I love to smoke cigars while riding around in my SuperDuty truck. Welcome to the group
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em. 2 or 3 a day usually. Start out mild in the morning then whatever, don't inhale though, arrgggg. Welcome
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Hold the cigar like Tim in the picture below; for the love of God, don't hold it like a frenchman with the fingers in a "V" shape

Also would recommend against inhaling; instead, try retrohaling (youtube or search on these forums). Passing it thru the nose is what gives you flavor, not your lungs
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards brother!

Do whatever makes you happy and however you enjoy them! They're your cigars, so whatever you do is right for you.
  • MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    2 a day sometimes 3 and welcome to the forum. I gave up cigarettes 6 years ago but sometimes inhale out of habit. The guys are right though about blowing a bit out your nose, it really works
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    1. Welcome

2. I smoke 2-4 cigars a week, but I'd smoke more if I had the time. Smoke as many as you like, they'll make more.

3. Tell your dog you'll quit smoking cigars when he quits licking his a$$. That'll knock him off his high horse.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Heavy:
    3. Tell your dog you'll quit smoking cigars when he quits licking his a$$. That'll knock him off his high horse.
    HAHAHAHA!! That's going in the signature line!
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    most I have ever smoked in a day is 4...more than that my palette gets overloaded. I wouldn't inhale...imo.

"Long ashes my friends."

• RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    if i smoke 3 in a day its a good day, i tend to like the Bigger smokes that lastv a long time. I cant afford it that way though ... I smoke 4-8 a week unless im in some kind of cruising mode. NO NO In the Beamer.... occsionaly get away with one in the Beater on the way home from the B&M but smokin in the car is a no no. I dont care how you hold it i seem to find myself holding the CIgar Juts Like TIM!
    THE BEARD IS the MAN!
    Welcom to the Boards!
  • RasputinRasputin Posts: 7
    Dog sees me picking up after him in the RV park, I think he is confused about what a cigar is.

Part of my ritual is smelling the Spanish Cedar on the cellophane wrapper.

I do hold 'em like the guy with the beard. And retroinhale through the nose. My cuts are getting good and straight now with practice and a good cutter.

Sometime in the evening I get to the point where I've had enough cigar, usually the end of the 5th cigar of the day.

I guess this ain't rocket science and some of the rules I saw are for snobs.
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Rasputin:
    I guess this ain't rocket science and some of the rules I saw are for snobs.

Exactly, and the parts that are rocket science... Well, thats what the more experienced BOTL here are for; Education and Inspiration.
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Rasputin:
    Dog sees me picking up after him in the RV park, I think he is confused about what a cigar is. Part of my ritual is smelling the Spanish Cedar on the cellophane wrapper. I do hold 'em like the guy with the beard. And retroinhale through the nose. My cuts are getting good and straight now with practice and a good cutter. Sometime in the evening I get to the point where I've had enough cigar, usually the end of the 5th cigar of the day. I guess this ain't rocket science and some of the rules I saw are for snobs.
    I just wanted to help a brother out before the fire and brimstone begins raining down on you. "The guy with the beard" is just "The Beard". FYI

Don't want to offend The Beard or any of his loyal followers.

• kaelariakaelaria Posts: 572
    Rasputin:
    I'm smoking 4 or 5 cigars a day, too much? I hold the cigars between my index and middle finger sometimes. I hold the cigar between my teeth sometimes. I inhale a little bit. Gives me a bit better taste and feel for the cigar. I smoke 'em down past where the ring was. I offend my dog with my cigars. I smoke while driving. So, comments, suggestions? -Chuck
    The ONLY thing you are doing 'wrong' is inhaling. Cigars are NEVER meant for inhaling - not by the blenders, the manufacturers or retailers. NOTHING about a cigar is intended to reach your lungs and you get NOTHING positive from doing so. As mentioned the reason you taste more by doing so is not from inhaling but from pushing the smoke through your sinuses, which you do not need to inhale to accomplish. Everything else on your list is 100% personal choice and there are NO RULES about any of it. Everyone is different and has a different palate. If yours can handle that many a day without being worn out, then you are fine! Many people smoke 2-3 times that, many smoke far less. You can hold it ANY way you like. Only snobs and homophobes tell you otherwise. You can smoke them as far down as you like - same answer. Personally I like my smoke cool so I stop when it gets hot. Sometimes that's at the band, sometimes the nub - it depends on the cigar. When they get to a certain temperature point the flavors start to wash. I like ending on a good note.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    Rasputin:
    Dog sees me picking up after him in the RV park, I think he is confused about what a cigar is. Part of my ritual is smelling the Spanish Cedar on the cellophane wrapper. I do hold 'em like the guy with the beard. And retroinhale through the nose. My cuts are getting good and straight now with practice and a good cutter. Sometime in the evening I get to the point where I've had enough cigar, usually the end of the 5th cigar of the day. I guess this ain't rocket science and some of the rules I saw are for snobs.
    I just wanted to help a brother out before the fire and brimstone begins raining down on you. "The guy with the beard" is just "The Beard". FYI

The Beard and The Fellowship of The Beard appreciate your catching that mistake. The wrath of The Beard is a horrible thing to behold.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    I still say it's wrong to hold the cigar with the fingers in a "V" like the french do - smoking a cigar like that is like raising your pinky finger when you take a sip of scotch from a tumbler, just very effeminate.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    xmacro:
    I still say it's wrong to hold the cigar with the fingers in a "V" like the french do - smoking a cigar like that is like raising your pinky finger when you take a sip of scotch from a tumbler, just very effeminate.
    I hold my cigar like I hold my c*ck. The whooolllle hand ;) masculine enough for you?
  • DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    ironhorse:
    xmacro:
    I hold my cigar like I hold my c*ck. The whooolllle hand ;) masculine enough for you?

THATS why he smokes only nubs, makes more sense now... ;)
  • jfacianejfaciane Posts: 242
    What I do wrong? Buy too many cigars and run out of room in my humidor while expecting a shipment of 23 more cigars with nowhere to put them! I know, I know guys, buy a bigger or another humidor
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    j0z3r:
    bacon.jay:
    Rasputin:

The Beard and The Fellowship of The Beard appreciate your catching that mistake. The wrath of The Beard is a horrible thing to behold.
    Thus is the truth spoken from the disciple's Jay and Joe
  • JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    ironhorse:
    xmacro:

THATS why he smokes only nubs, makes more sense now... ;)
    Ba-zing!
    Light 'em up.