Home Cigar 101
Options

Golf, Cigars, and Whiskey

DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
OK, I am going to play golf in the desert tomorrow and I am looking to get some suggestions on what to smoke. I have all my stuff together, and now I'm packing my Herf-a-dor. It will be 88 degrees, and 32Rh. It is the first time I will have gotten to play golf in about 6 months, so even though we are only playing nine holes, I could be out there a while! Since we cant have whiskey the drink of the day will be... DFAC Sweet Tea.

Comments

• Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to today's newsletter, if you're on the beach, you should smoke something a little fuller.

If you play golf like I do, you'll spend a lot time in the sand!

• Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Smoke something simple - nothing high-end since your mind will be on all your shanking than on the stick.
  • Options
    dwayne3307dwayne3307 Posts: 272
    I play golf a lot and rarely smoke a cigar while playing, i find they tend to get in the way. I don't play golf for the fun of it though so maybe that's why. I'd go with something average for your on-course smoke, something that if it fell out the cart while driving you wouldn't freak out over it. Then when you hit the 19th hole, enjoy something nice since you can sit back and relax a little.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    dwayne3307:
    I'd go with something average for your on-course smoke, something that if it fell out the cart while driving you wouldn't freak out over it. Then when you hit the 19th hole, enjoy something nice since you can sit back and relax a little.
    +1.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    My biggest piece of advice... Have a hell of a time! Enjoy the golf, cigars, and Sweet Tea! I'm sure a break and to get away for a bit is always welcome. Have a good time and enjoy the relaxation!
  • Options
    Ok, I will be in the sand a lot, but not as much as in Saudi. When I played there last time you had to carry astro turf with you. Packed into the Herf-a-dor are: 1 Bahia Blu; 1 DevilsWeed (for the LT I am going with); 2 Cain 'F' Nubs; 2 Gurkha Crests for afterwards if JCizzle shows up. Along with my Cigar Clip, lighter, cutter, and tan boonie. Puro, your right. This will be an awesome break and some time away from base!
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Well I'm a little late on this topic but here goes anyway. Definately take an average smoke with you. Something you enjoy that has constant flavor profiles, nothing that changes alot as you smoke it. Make sure it's something medium bodied because heat, physical activity, and full-body usually don't make a good trio. I also recommend longer cigars: churchills, toros, salomons. One of these usually last me around 7-8 holes, so I take 2 cigar with me each time. If you plan to play a lot of golf and smoke a lot of cigars like I do, you must get a cigar minder clip!!! Makes the whole experience so much more enjoyable.

My usuals for the course are: Oliveros XL Bold, Gran Habano Corojo #5, Gran Habano Siglo 3 (with the old bands), 5 Vegas Gold or Classic, smoked a Nica Libre today.

• Options
    Photobucket
    Qatar Golf Club

I smoked the Bahia Blu, had the sweat tea which tasted like sunscreen (too much sweat I think). Great cigar and crappy golf. but I did win a $40 bet with the lt by hitting the ball (with a 7 iron)171 yards uphill (actual yardage closer to 183) and around this grove of trees
    Photobucket
    to land on the fringe of the green, and sink it for par (after slicing onto the other fairway)!

LT wanted to be in this shot so bad he stuck his finger in front of the lens!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Looks like a hell of a day! Glad you got to enjoy a day on the course. A bad day of golf is better than a good day or work anytime!
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    PuroFreak:
    Looks like a hell of a day! Glad you got to enjoy a day on the course. A bad day of golf is better than a good day or work anytime!
    Iunno man... I've had some pretty piss-poor days on the course.....ah hell, on second thought I don't get to smoke stogies and drink at work, so it's all good! lol
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Nice man. That's quite a 7i shot you had.
  • Options
    I couldn't ever get that lucky with a shot again. The bet was that I couldn't make the shot and stick the green which I didin't. He was so impressed with the shot, because I told him exactly what I was gonna do, that when he saw it on the fringe he said I'll pay half. You have to remember it is $83 for 9 holes of golf here.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    DSW, I saw the name of this thread and was all over it like a fat kid on a cupcake.

Those are 3 of my favorite things in life. 183 with a 7i is a big boy shot my friend. I thought I was long(inconsistent as *** tho) 183 I'm hitting a 5i!!! Most pros are hitting a 6 for that distance.
  • Options
    It is not consistent by any means! and I really bladed the crap out of it. I cant be positive of the distances, but we were using GPS in the golf cart. What I told you is the LT's version of the story. I'd say it was no more than 160, but he swears it was 180 something. It was by far the lucky shot of my life (especially considering what we had riding on it).
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I know I missed the suggestions part, but just thought I'd share what I take with me to the course:

3 Padron Executive Maduros.

They're great at keeping the bugs away too!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..