Home General Discussion
Options

really cigar.com? 0.5$?

Ok. So this was my first purchase from cigar.com. And the 26cigar jar was just down my ally. I nevet havde more the 10 cigars. And a jar seemed perfect. So i got the 99.95$ deal. Well in check out it said i needed 0.5$ to qualify for the 25$ free gift? .........Really? 0.5$? What do they sell thats less then a doller? I mean i understand there a buissness trying to make money. But that should be close enough to qualify. Why must i drop 6 more dollers just to get something im 5 cents away from? I dont no. Maybe im part jewish and dont nk yet. But thats just silly in my mind. I droped 100$ and they still want more?

Comments

• Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Marketing...gotta love it. Try the Sol Cubano Sumatra or the CCOM Brazillian, theyre really good smokes that dont cost much and trust me, the Cuvee cigars are worth the extra .5 cents!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wmaxham:
    Maybe im part jewish and dont nk yet.
    lets leave the stereotypes out of this please.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to bet if you called they'd waive that $0.05 and give you the free gift. Unless its an online only deal, even then its worth a shot. Ccom is famous for hooking people up. The problem with ordering online is you're dealing with a computer program and not a person. A program has hard constraints $100 means $100 but a person on the other end of a phone has the flexibility to go "close enough" or like they've done many times for me, "hey if you like those you'll love this, and I'll throw in a 3 pack or 5 pack for $xx.xx(some ridiculously cheap price)".

The history behind the Jewish stereotypes is actually an interesting history lesson. In Europe before WWII in many countries Jews were not allowed to hold many jobs and were forced to do one of two things, open a restaurant(which could only serve other Jews) or become creditors. In opening restaurants (which for the most part became "Jewish Delis" because of the limited supplies they were allowed and the difficulty in acquiring a facililty that would actually seat enough people to be called a restaraunt) the stereotypical Jewish Deli was born.
    Second they became creditors because many Christians looked at the job as unholy and sinful so it left a nice void for the Jews to fill, of course the fact that they were lending out all of their money led to their being very tight with the money that was left for themselves. Through this the stereotype was born. I knew I'd get to use some of these obscure college classes I took one day.
  • Options
    i am aware how that stereotype started.... my Jewish wife told me. im not really upset about the stereotype itself because i understand it. I am, however, a bit disheartened that "Jewish" has such a negative connotation. I do not want to perpetuate that view. I dont feel that it is appropriate to use any racial stereotype to describe an action/line of thought in any situation ever.

if i told someone they were acting "black" i would be a racist, but somehow saying someone is "acting Jewish" is ok.

I dont do double standards.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    i am aware how that stereotype started.... my Jewish wife told me. im not really upset about the stereotype itself because i understand it. I am, however, a bit disheartened that "Jewish" has such a negative connotation. I do not want to perpetuate that view. I dont feel that it is appropriate to use any racial stereotype to describe an action/line of thought in any situation ever.

if i told someone they were acting "black" i would be a racist, but somehow saying someone is "acting Jewish" is ok.

I dont do double standards.

This doesn't just apply to Jews this is true of any race except black. You can talk about acting white and how white people can't dance, jump, etc. You can talk about Asians eating cats and dogs. So on and so on.

Wait, a red-headed Jewish girl. I don't know whether to congratulate you or worry for your life.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    This doesn't just apply to Jews this is true of any race except black. You can talk about acting white and how white people can't dance, jump, etc. You can talk about Asians eating cats and dogs. So on and so on.
    I assure you that i dont do any of those things. I cant speak on behalf of others but the fact of the matter is, i dont do double standards. I do my best to treat everyone as i want to be treated... starting with treating every person as an individual. we are all people. we do have cultural differences. im ok with all that. i just think adding a negative connotation will always do more harm than good... even as a joke.

madurofan:
    Wait, a red-headed Jewish girl. I don't know whether to congratulate you or worry for your life.
    i assure you, you should congratulate.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    I assure you that i dont do any of those things. I cant speak on behalf of others but the fact of the matter is, i dont do double standards. I do my best to treat everyone as i want to be treated... starting with treating every person as an individual. we are all people. we do have cultural differences. im ok with all that. i just think adding a negative connotation will always do more harm than good... even as a joke.
    I didn't mean you in particular I just meant its typically socially acceptable to make stereotypes about any race aside from blacks. I don't mean this negatively at all, just an observation. I won't say I never tell an off color joke or such but for the most part I agree with what you said
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    i assure you, you should congratulate.
    Well congratulations. I'm envious.
  • Options
    btmislesbtmisles Posts: 125
    I have looked at this thread a couple of times not sure I need to say anything but I agree with kuzi (and was tempted to say something even before he posted) but bottom line...It is just a dumb, unnecessary comment that provided no substance to the post. Why even say something like that on a forum of people you don't "really" know?
  • Options
    btmisles:
    I have looked at this thread a couple of times not sure I need to say anything but I agree with kuzi (and was tempted to say something even before he posted) but bottom line...It is just a dumb, unnecessary comment that provided no substance to the post. Why even say something like that on a forum of people you don't "really" know?
    I agree with you BT but it furthers my point of this being socially acceptable. Many people are comfortable with these types of stereotypes.

I edited my earlier posts to eliminate a joke that given how serious this thread got probably won't be seen as a joke and I didn't want it to be taken out of context.
  • Options
    long and short:
    i am not offended but it is poor taste.

at this point im gunna go with the "forgive and forget" theorem.

• Options
    kuzi16:
    long and short:
    i am not offended but it is poor taste.
    My comments or the original post?
  • Options
    original.

no worries though. like i said. forgive and forget.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    original.

no worries though. like i said. forgive and forget.
    Man I was about to guy cry and stuff. I was thinking I might have to smoke a Gurkha tonight to make amends or something!
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Man I was about to guy cry and stuff. I was thinking I might have to smoke a Gurkha tonight to make amends or something!
    You know, I got pretty offended at...whatever it was that you wrote. You might have to smoke two.
  • Options
    musiciannameddave:
    madurofan:
    You know, I got pretty offended at...whatever it was that you wrote. You might have to smoke two.
    LMAO. I don't know if you know the backstory to why I said that or not but here it is either way.

Mostly as a joke Kuzi and I have for quite some time now gone back and forth as RP vs. Gurkha with him being the Gurkha side of the debate.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Too bad I picked up that beast 5 pack deal a few weeks ago..
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    guy cry, lol