Home General Discussion

Tar

I just finished a hemingway, great smoke, and noticed mid way through some tar on the head that I have never really noticed on other smokes, although im sure it was there. Just wondering what causes this just the oils burning? Thanks in advance - Thomas

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Typically a couple of things can cause this. Smoking too quickly is usually the cause but it also happens frequently in cigars with tapered heads or a cigar that is punched with a smaller gauge punch bc all of the smoke is channeled through the head cause the tar to build up. However other causes I've been told about can be an over-humidified cigar, an extra oily cigar or poorly rolled cigar(one that causes all the smoke to be channeled through a small area).

To prevent this you can try a couple things first smoke slower, second you can use a paper towel and dab the tar from the head, finally if neither of those work try cutting a little more off the head hoping to open the cigar up a little more.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    Typically a couple of things can cause this. Smoking too quickly is usually the cause but it also happens frequently in cigars with tapered heads or a cigar that is punched with a smaller gauge punch bc all of the smoke is channeled through the head cause the tar to build up. However other causes I've been told about can be an over-humidified cigar, an extra oily cigar or poorly rolled cigar(one that causes all the smoke to be channeled through a small area).

To prevent this you can try a couple things first smoke slower, second you can use a paper towel and dab the tar from the head, finally if neither of those work try cutting a little more off the head hoping to open the cigar up a little more.
    yes

and one more thing....
    do your best to smoke as dry as you can. no slobber if you can manage it.
  • kuzi16:
    madurofan:

yes

and one more thing....
    do your best to smoke as dry as you can. no slobber if you can manage it.
    Speaking of slobber. Have you ever seen the head of Jimmy Bingo's cigars? He makes a Conn. look like a Maddy. It's disgusting.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
  • rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    These Filthy Hands:
    Speaking of slobber. Have you ever seen the head of Jimmy Bingo's cigars? He makes a Conn. look like a Maddy. It's disgusting.

I have friends like that. I never understood why exactly they did that. It is pretty gross.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Yea I've seen a few guys that do that. It is pretty gross. Even more gross is the guys that don't even smoke a cigar they just sit there and chew on it. Literally chew.
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    AH! thank you this makes a lot of sense especially consider i punched it and pinched it a little in my teeth towards the end. Gracias for the responses compadres! - Thomas