Home General Discussion

New to site

Ok I am new to this site and fairly new to smoking Cigars. I have only been smoking them for about three years. Last night  I smoked a Macanudo 1968, it was alittle stronger than what I normaly smoke. But all in all it was a nice smoke.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Welcome aboard afserv1. If you have been smoking for three years then you are more of a veteran then a lot of us around here.
    Lots of good discussion and debate here. Lots of very fine people as well. Pull up a chair and get comfy.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome afserv - I second the above post
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    nice to see a fan of the mild-medium cigars. though i prefer more full bodied there are plenty of mild cigars that have a great flavor. I feel that mild cigars are often overlooked.
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    kuzi16:
    nice to see a fan of the mild-medium cigars. though i prefer more full bodied there are plenty of mild cigars that have a great flavor. I feel that mild cigars are often overlooked.
    Its interesting you say that kuzi cause just today i was thinking about how ive been stuck on full bodies cigars and havent had a mild in awhile, but i remember the last mild i had being extremely flavorful so tomorrow i think im going to run over to the b&m and pick up a few mild cigars just for kicks, any suggestions of your favorite mild cigars? pus the most mild you have ever had as i am picking one up for my grandfather who will only smoke the most mild of cigars :)
    the gurkha regent is listed as mild. one of my faves.... Fuente 8-5-8 candela is pretty good.

cusano 18 conn.

5 vegas gold.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd second kuzi's recommendations and also add that I think the Gran Habano #1 Connecticut is a very tasty mild cigar, similar, I feel, to the Cusano Double Conn.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board, be careful, spend too much time here and youll be looking for a bigger humidor!

I like the RP Conneticut for an uber-smooth smoke
  • Nub Conn. La Aroma De Cuba Edition Especial. Flor De Oliva Gold.
  • tshawtshaw Posts: 178
    Thanks for the replys everyone, yea i was thinking of giving him just a regular la aroma de cuba, i havent yet had the edition especial yet i need to considering the regular is one of my favorite cigars and its pretty mild, i want to try the regent too :O agh decisions decisions
    i like the original line alot. I havent had the special edition yet either.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Welcome aboard.

I don't have a particular preference on strength (though I tend to avoid the madly strong), but I find several of my favorites are in the mild-medium range. Here's some: AVO Domaine, Montecristo White, Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real, La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994, Camacho 1962, and the Fuente Candela that kuzi mentioned.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    afserv1:
    Ok I am new to this site and fairly new to smoking Cigars. I have only been smoking them for about three years. Last night  I smoked a Macanudo 1968, it was alittle stronger than what I normaly smoke. But all in all it was a nice smoke.
    Hey afserv1.. Welcome, Thats what I like, You don't come in through the Newbie door, you start your own welcome thread.. Macanudo gets picked on from time to time here, but I do like the 1968, and will never turn one down any of their sticks... They are a very dependable smoke and a great starting point for people new to cigars.
    urbino:
    Welcome aboard.

I don't have a particular preference on strength (though I tend to avoid the madly strong), but I find several of my favorites are in the mild-medium range. Here's some: AVO Domaine, Montecristo White, Romeo y Julieta Reserva Real, La Aurora 1495 Cameroon 1994, Camacho 1962, and the Fuente Candela that kuzi mentioned.
    Hey urbi, La Aurora Cameroon 1495/1994 mild -medium ? I would not put the word mild near that cigar. I've had a few that really kicked my @ss if I didn't eat something before i smoked 'em. But, I really love that cigar.. I had one today. Very nice.( this one only had a few months on it) I picked it out of the wrong humidor.
    I'd put the 1495 blend more in the medium-full range, and probably closer to full at that. A very tasty blend, both the cameroon wrapped variety and the normal.
    Really? I haven't had one in a while, but I don't remember finding them at all strong. Of my list, I'd definitely put them and the Camacho at the top end of the mild-medium spectrum, but don't think of either as stronger than that.

I guess this just goes to show, again, that cigars are personal. (Some more personal than others, eh, Mr. President? wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

BTW, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Domaine when you get to it, Kas. I know you like the standard AVO.
    urbino:
    Really? I haven't had one in a while, but I don't remember finding them at all strong. Of my list, I'd definitely put them and the Camacho at the top end of the mild-medium spectrum, but don't think of either as stronger than that.

I guess this just goes to show, again, that cigars are personal. (Some more personal than others, eh, Mr. President? wink-wink, nudge-nudge)

BTW, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the Domaine when you get to it, Kas. I know you like the standard AVO.
    Jeezuz H. Urbi, Avo Domaine is Medium butclose to full, Camacho doesn't know the meaning of the word mild, I didn't smoke that pretty Domaine you sent yet, But, had one a few weeks ago that I really liked. Did you notice a tight draw on most of the Avo cigars you have had ? That may be what disguises the full nature of this cigar. I tend to smoke my cigars " hard " from time to time and that is when I really get the effects of fuller bodied sticks.
    urbino:

ooops !
    Interesting urby, you've got me wondering how you define strength in a cigar. I always go with how I feel in my head and gut, usually a strong cigar leaves me a bit light-headed and feeling somewhat heavy in the stomach. I've never had a mild-medium Camacho and I know many regard them as making some pretty full bodied cigars, so I find it peculiar that you rate them as such. Maybe the strength doesn't have the same effect on you or you don't quite perceive it the same as others...a real head scratcher indeed.
    My thought s exactly joe, Urbi, what would you call Full, if you ever had one. I have been friends with cigars for about fifteen years and love em mild as well as Full, but if I get dizzy, or feel like puking, that is full bodied regardless of taste or flavor profile. Camacho, Punch, La Aurora 1495 1994, Hoya De Monterrey and CAO Brazillia.. have all done this. There may have been others but these come to mind. Oh yeah, The La Flor Dominicana Mysterio, that kicked my ess too.
    Well I'll be deep fat fried. You guys have me wondering if my strength scale is all off. I use the same measure you do, Kas: the more it makes me lightheaded or, at the extreme end, unsettled in the tummy, the stronger I consider it.

I haven't had an HdM in years and years, so I can't speak to that one, but none of the others you list have ever made me ill, or even lightheaded. I'd call the Brazilia medium-strong. If I made up a scale from 0 to 100, where 0 = mild, here's some other examples of where things would fall:

CCOM Blue Label - 0
    5 Vegas Gold - 5
    AVO Domaine - 20
    R&J Reserva Real - 25
    Monte White - 30
    Cusano 18 Dbl Conn - 30-35
    La Aurora 1495 1994 - 40
    Camacho 1962 - 45
    5 Vegas Series A - 50
    AF Hemingway - 60
    5 Vegas Classic - 60
    Gran Habano VL - 60-65
    Monte Media Noche - 65
    RP 1992 - 70
    Graycliff Originales Especial - 75
    H. Upmann - 75-80
    Padilla 1968 - 80
    AF Don Carlos - 80-85
    Gran Habano 3 Siglos - 90 (the strongest I've had)

The only cigar I've had since I started smoking them again that made my stomach queasy was the 3 Siglos. I enjoyed it thoroughly, aside from that.
    I have smoked many Gran Habano 3 Siglos, as they are one of my new favorite cigars. I have never once gotten dizzy or unsettled in the stomach from them. I always really take my time with them, which makes me think that how we smoke a cigar, determines the strength of that cigar to some degree. If I smoke in my car on the way home from work, any cigar can become full bodied if I try to fit it into a time frame, but that same cigar will be more like a medium to me in my back yard on a warm summer night, over a relaxing hour and a half.
    Bizarre. That's all I'm sayin'.
  • Hows it going guys I too am new to the site. I have been smoking cigars for about for a little over 6 years now. just wanted to drop a hi to everyone look forward to discussing topics with you guys as well as learning new things.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    welcome aboard hansmid-prepare to learn
    Hansmid:
    Hows it going guys I too am new to the site. I have been smoking cigars for about for a little over 6 years now. just wanted to drop a hi to everyone look forward to discussing topics with you guys as well as learning new things.
    Hey Hansmid,
    Happy Holidays and welcome to the group..