Home Cigar 101

72/72

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
I noticed today the temp and humidity in my humi was 72 degrees/72% humidity. Should I take action?

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I noticed today the temp and humidity in my humi was 72 degrees/72% humidity. Should I take action?
    A 72/72 does not worry me. Any humidor will fluctuate. Right now I have humidors at 69/70, 70/70, and 66/70. Your humidor is on the high end of acceptable., I only REALLY worry if humidity reached 75. Temp is always 68-74 which I don't worry about.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot depends on personal preference, IMO. Temp should stay at 70 or less to assure that beetles(if any) don't move around looking for a mate. As for RH, I have 65% beads but I actually prefer it when it occasionally drops to around 62%. Sticks seem to burn better for me at that level.

Marty

• boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    yeah I'm a 70/70 kind of guy so a few degrees or % points either way and I wouldn't worry about it. i second the 75/75 being a danger zone.

I gotta say though the hobby is about relaxing, so if your stressed, just pull out the humidifier for a bit. . . . . no big deal either way.
  • The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think 72 is too bad, mine shot up a little this month too. I've also noticed with summer coming I don't have to re-charge my beads as often as the humidity rises in the house. When the temps get high I will put the humi's in the cellar, per the advice on this forum. During the latest warm-up (74 degrees in humi) I brought them down cellar after supper and the temps went down overnight to 68. Summer in New England, me thinks it's going to be a roller coaster ride for temps and humidity.
  • y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Keeping them in a darkened area won't have any adverse effects on them, will it? I decided to put the humidor in my basement and see if the and temp comes down at all.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the humidity is more important in my opinion. in the summer i have been known to let my sticks get to 68% and 78* and i have not had an issue. i would never dream of letting it get past 73% or so