Home Cigar 101
Options

Beetles in transit

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
Question. I got a great package from a BOTL today that came overseas and was in transit for at least two weeks. When it was dropped of today, it sat in the 75 degree weather all afternoon and the package itself was very warm, as well as the cigars inside. Could beetles hatch in the high heat while in transit. If they did, would I be able to tell? Should I put them in my humi right away or isolate them for a while in maybe a tuperware container with a humi pack?

Comments

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    75 degrees isn't ideal but its not really that high in temp...some people isolate ALL incoming cigars for a bit...up to you...
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Yeah, like DD said, 75 isn't much to worry about. Personally, I wouldn't be worried. If you're worried and wanna do it anyway, toss them in a ziplock bag (no humi pillow; squeeze out the air first) and toss in the freezer for 48 hrs, then move to the refrigerator for 48 hrs, then into your humi
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I do the same thing Diamond Dog suggested. I put all my cigars in isolation and keep them there for about a month ( often longer) untill I am confident they are not a risk.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Please God Isolate those bastards! The last thing I want is to be the cause of a infestation in your Humi!!!
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Hmm...how could you tell I was speaking of your graciousness? I'm going with the 48 hrs in the fridge. I'm sure they'll be fine.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Start smoking
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    While the ambient temp was only 75 degrees that box was probably closer to 90 due to the sun. I would isolate them for a bit.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Below 70 degrees beetles don't move around. Above 70, they can move around and look for a mate. If you're at all concerned, I 'd go the freezing route for a couple days with another couple in the fridge to thaw them gently. After that, you should be good to go.

• Options
    Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Below 70 degrees beetles don't move around. Above 70, they can move around and look for a mate. If you're at all concerned, I 'd go the freezing route for a couple days with another couple in the fridge to thaw them gently. After that, you should be good to go.

x2, when you start investing into lots of cigar and build quite a collection, I have a hard time not freezing my cigars...it's a pain and maybe overboard, but good insurance for me...just my two cents :)
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Forget all that, just start smoking like the rest of us old fools. 4 or 5 a day and they will be gone before the little buggers can do any damage. LOL
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Forget all that, just start smoking like the rest of us old fools. 4 or 5 a day and they will be gone before the little buggers can do any damage. LOL
    I like the way you think!

• Options
    YankeeMan:
    fla-gypsy:
    I like the way you think!

Well, I must be a wuss 'cause I don't think I could stand smoking 4 or 5 a day. It's all I can do to handle an occasional 2 per day. Don't think my mouth and/or taste buds would take it.

Other than that, though, you've probably got a good idea.

Marty

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I watched a rep unload the event's cigars out of his trunk here in New Orleans. He had driven from Atlanta, to Biloxi, here, and was heading to Houston next. People die in this type of weather. I questioned him and his reply was that cigars are heartier than most people think. Excuse me? They may be heartier than one would surmise from reading posts on this forum, but this guy was giving the sticks an early demise. I didn't buy any.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Did you remember to pull them out of the fridge?
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    Did you remember to pull them out of the fridge?

I'm confused, DS. To whom was your question directed?

Marty

• Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    y2pascoe:
    Hmm...how could you tell I was speaking of your graciousness? I'm going with the 48 hrs in the fridge. I'm sure they'll be fine.
    48 hours in the fridge isn't going to do anything. Needs 48 hours in the freezer, THEN 48 in the fridge. Not that you have beetles. Unless you see some evidence of them, then I wouldn't worry about it.
  • Options
    JCizzleJCizzle Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    fla-gypsy:
    Belee dat.
    Light 'em up.