Home Cigar 101

Cigar smoking temperature

What is the lowest temperature you can smoke a cigar outside and have it burn normally?

Thanks!

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    as cold as your fingers are willing to let you. IT will be far too cold for you before it is too cold for combustion to occur naturally.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    lol, well unless it's windy. Temps around me were about 24 and I had some issues smoking a cigar, kept going out, it was also a little windy. it was 2 cigars actually, a cao lx2 and rp 1990.
  • Hi there! I'm very new here myself but would like to toss out a couple of thoughts related to Twita's question:

I'm from Minnesota and I have noticed cigars can get pretty 'stressed' in colder weather. I think there are some humidity issues involved. First, even though air temps are low, humidity levels can be high in outdoor winter air. I have found the cigars I have smoked in temps of 10 degrees F or less will get really moist towards the end. Also, delicate wrappers are prone to splitting/cracking partly from the expansion of the filler by what seems to be a moisture build-up as referenced above.

I'm certainly not an expert and will defer to those that have the experience and knowledge but my opinion is cold weather can be pretty hard on the cigar - to the point I don't even enjoy them. Also, I find if I store my cigars at 60% humidity in the winter they are less apt to get stressed if smoked in cold weather. Cigars kept at 70%, in my experience, are all but doomed - especially if they have a delicate wrapper. I have found the best cold-weather smokes to be maduros.

Any comments?

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I think you're onto something there, Otter. The humidity would be the problem (if there is any), not the temperature itself.

That said, I would think the problem would be just the opposite of what you describe. Colder air is drier air. (This is one the things that makes air conditioning work.) If it's cold enough, and you smoke for long enough, the wrapper is going to start drying out, burn funny, get brittle, and possibly split.
  • Thanks for your comments, Urbino. I think you put my mind on the right track. I had stated winter air can have high relative humidity but, as you indicated, winter air is dryer. Cold air holds less moisture than warm air so, even if the 'relative humidity' reading is at 80% in 10 degree weather, there is precious little moisture in the air.

This is my 'revised' theory: Several things will happen to a cigar stored at 70% humidity when taken into cold, dry air. As you stated, the wrapper will start to dry out rapidly, making it much more prone to splitting and cracking. Also, as the wrapper is drying, it is shrinking.

Inside the cigar, once lit, the filler is still holding a 70% humidity level. When the cigar is being smoked, the moisture in the burning filler is being 'released' as steam and drawn through the body of the much cooler cigar. The cooler cigar filler fills with condensation and can't hold all the humidity -  the filler starts to get 'soggy'. This also makes the cigar swell more making the wrapper even more prone to cracking.

I will get half-way through a cigar in cold air and can barely keep the cigar lit. It tastes pretty nasty at this point. Upon 'dissecting' the half-smoked cigar I find the filler is damp and smells like 'donkey toe'.

Does this seem reasonable?

• j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Interesting thought on the cold + humidity. I haven't had that problem myself as I live in a more arid climate, so when it gets cold there is not much of a humidity change. That said, the coldest temp I've had a cigar in is probably the low 30's, which is pretty cold for Southern California, and really cold for me...I'm a cold weather sissy, I put a jacket on when the temp hits about 60. :)
    Otter Tail Joe:

Thanks for your comments, Urbino. I think you put my mind on the right track. I had stated winter air can have high relative humidity but, as you indicated, winter air is dryer. Cold air holds less moisture than warm air so, even if the 'relative humidity' reading is at 80% in 10 degree weather, there is precious little moisture in the air.

This is my 'revised' theory: Several things will happen to a cigar stored at 70% humidity when taken into cold, dry air. As you stated, the wrapper will start to dry out rapidly, making it much more prone to splitting and cracking. Also, as the wrapper is drying, it is shrinking.

Inside the cigar, once lit, the filler is still holding a 70% humidity level. When the cigar is being smoked, the moisture in the burning filler is being 'released' as steam and drawn through the body of the much cooler cigar. The cooler cigar filler fills with condensation and can't hold all the humidity -  the filler starts to get 'soggy'. This also makes the cigar swell more making the wrapper even more prone to cracking.

I will get half-way through a cigar in cold air and can barely keep the cigar lit. It tastes pretty nasty at this point. Upon 'dissecting' the half-smoked cigar I find the filler is damp and smells like 'donkey toe'.

Does this seem reasonable?

Sounds very reasonable to me, Otter. Lots of steam inside a cold, dry wrapper leads to soggy filler and split wrapper.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    very good thoughts guys.

...but if you are sittin outside in -5 trying to get your smoke on, you have bigger issues than burn issues.
  • Hi there, Kuzi - I wanted to take a moment to thank you for your cigar reviews and all the information you share. Thank you! I've enjoyed reading your information - and have learned a great deal.

As far as winter temps, it is 24 below zero as I right this. (That is the outside air temp, I'm not actually outside . . .) However, we try to stick to our routines up here and not allow a little cool weather to derail those things we hold dear. That said, I have retreated to my shop (a.k.a. 'the man cave') for greater smoking enjoyment in the winter months. I have a radio, a wood stove, and a bid ol' pile of split oak. It doesn't get much better. Happy New Year to all!

• Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    freezer burn...lol

I know from my own experience that ambient temp and humidity can cause issues. When I was in Iraq with dry heat, I had issues with burn and flavor loss. The smokes would burn hotter/quicker than usual even with larger ring gauges and the dryness of the air would suck the moisture out of a cigar just taken from the humi. Prime example, I smoked my first Nub over there (thanks Maddy) but it did the opposite of what it was made to do, it burn hot and quick, essentially half way through the smoke it was 'burnt' and no longer worth a single puff.

However, when I was in Cancun, wet heat, I had burn issues of a different sort. It was so moist out that I couldn't keep my cigar lit. Draw was tight, flavor was lost due to relights and so much moisture. That happened to 2 smokes, an RP I-press and a 'cuban' Trinidad I got at the resort. The RP was relit about 5 times and I only got half way through the thing. With the Trinidad, it was not kept well by the resort, a bit dry, but turned out to be a decent smoke somehow even with a few relights. My guess is that the Trinidad picked up just enough moisture during the smoking that it made it worth the try.

Also, being in GA, I find that cooler temps and lower humidity have led to better smoking experiences overall.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    24 below zero!! Dude, if it gets to 24 above zero I don't go outside. Its supposed to FEEL like its in the teens tonight and I'm thinking of cancelling my new years plans.
    Like I said...freezer burn.
    Otter Tail Joe:
    As far as winter temps, it is 24 below zero as I right this. (That is the outside air temp, I'm not actually outside . . .) However, we try to stick to our routines up here and not allow a little cool weather to derail those things we hold dear.
    I admire your gift for understatement, Otter.
    Bad Andy:
    However, when I was in Cancun, wet heat, I had burn issues of a different sort. It was so moist out that I couldn't keep my cigar lit. Draw was tight, flavor was lost due to relights and so much moisture.
    Yup. I have that problem here, sometimes, in the summer.
    Same here in GA but not quite as bad as I had it in Cancun.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Hey Otter Joe, where are you that it is -24, just so I never get stuck there in a month that has an " R " in it...
  • Kaspera - I'm hunkered down in Minnesota - Land of 10,000 (frozen) lakes. It isn't all that bad - really - once you go totally numb from the cold. And the cold isn't all that bad either because it does get rid of the bloody mosquitoes that tend to swarm us in the 'non-R' months. Cheers!

• TWITATWITA Posts: 2
    First of all, I hope everyone is having a happy and safe New Year's Day. I only joined the forum a couple days and am very appreciative of everyone's responses. That said, it is expected to be in the low 40's to mid-30's this eve and I plan to burn my first one (Padrone 2000) of 2009. Thanks again to all.
  • I have not had any burn problems related to the cold weather (although it hasn't been lower than 15-25 F outside while I'm smoking), but I do notice a slight shift in flavor on some of my favorites. It seems like some cigars taste less peppery and slightly more leathery to me when its cold. Don't know if that is due to the different temperature air being pulled in, differences in my breathing, or just my imagination.
    THere is also the effect of dry air on your palate...I think that may have been part of my problems in Iraq.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    MaduroScott:
    I have not had any burn problems related to the cold weather (although it hasn't been lower than 15-25 F outside while I'm smoking), but I do notice a slight shift in flavor on some of my favorites. It seems like some cigars taste less peppery and slightly more leathery to me when its cold. Don't know if that is due to the different temperature air being pulled in, differences in my breathing, or just my imagination.

Twisting this thread a bit. Branching off MaduroScott's post about temp vs. flavor. I keep getting bombed/trading all these wonderful cigars (thank you all), and I dont want to smoke anything new outside in sub 32 temps because I think it has a affect on the flavor of the cigar. I want to really be able to taste and enjoy the cigar i'm smoking. Anything I smoke in these temps I always want to revisit when temps turn warmer so I can see what they really taste like.

I am pretty new to the cigar crowd and dont know if this is a common thing. SleevePlz sent me a couple "winter smokes" but I havent tried either one yet, so there they sit in the humi waiting for warmer weather. Damn you Michigan winters!

Another issue i'm having is im running out of ammo. I dont want to bomb/trade things I havent smoked because I dont know what im giving away. Problem is I havent smoked enough cigars to provide the variety in bombs/trades. I dont want to keep bombing/trading the same ol' $hit.

Thoughts/suggestions?
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    ddubridge:
    MaduroScott:
    I have not had any burn problems related to the cold weather (although it hasn't been lower than 15-25 F outside while I'm smoking), but I do notice a slight shift in flavor on some of my favorites. It seems like some cigars taste less peppery and slightly more leathery to me when its cold. Don't know if that is due to the different temperature air being pulled in, differences in my breathing, or just my imagination.

Twisting this thread a bit. Branching off MaduroScott's post about temp vs. flavor. I keep getting bombed/trading all these wonderful cigars (thank you all), and I dont want to smoke anything new outside in sub 32 temps because I think it has a affect on the flavor of the cigar. I want to really be able to taste and enjoy the cigar i'm smoking. Anything I smoke in these temps I always want to revisit when temps turn warmer so I can see what they really taste like.

I am pretty new to the cigar crowd and dont know if this is a common thing. SleevePlz sent me a couple "winter smokes" but I havent tried either one yet, so there they sit in the humi waiting for warmer weather. Damn you Michigan winters!

Another issue i'm having is im running out of ammo. I dont want to bomb/trade things I havent smoked because I dont know what im giving away. Problem is I havent smoked enough cigars to provide the variety in bombs/trades. I dont want to keep bombing/trading the same ol' $hit.

Thoughts/suggestions?
    1: keep smoking. That is, after all, why we do this... the love of smoking good cigars.

2: if you need more cigars, shoot me a PM. I can solve that problem for you.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    FYI It was about 10 degrees the last two night in NY with winds at 10 MPH and I enjoyed two very good cigars withouth flavor problems. Last night I enjoyed a MOW orignal and it was great very oily perfect burn, draw, and combustion. I am well prepared for the weather in NY, Zippo handwarmer was a great addition along with my under armor hood. Only problem I had the last couple of nights is my beverage froze before I did. As long as your smoke have been in ur humidor for a least a week I would go forit there should not be any problems just make sure to keep you lighter warm. I would recommend going with a med to full or full bodied blend in the colder months.
    Thanks Todd. Not exactly what I was looking for but I will keep smoking, and no I dont need more cigars. I have pleanty I havent tried already.
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    i agree on loss of flavor, but i wonder if it has more to do with the fact that I tend to smoke much faster when it is cold because i want to get my smoke on, but get back inside where it is warm.

I did this on saturday night. Smoked a macanudo cafe and didn't like it at all.....in retrospect, i smoked that thing REALLY fast. I probably blew through the 2nd 3rd really quickly and didn't let it develop.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    brianetz1:
    i agree on loss of flavor, but i wonder if it has more to do with the fact that I tend to smoke much faster when it is cold because i want to get my smoke on, but get back inside where it is warm.

I did this on saturday night. Smoked a macanudo cafe and didn't like it at all.....in retrospect, i smoked that thing REALLY fast. I probably blew through the 2nd 3rd really quickly and didn't let it develop.
    +1
    I think you're spot on with that assessment.

(Not saying it hasn't happened, but...) I've never noticed temperature having an effect on the cigar's flavor. I find that as long as I'm bundled up and can stay warm --- I'll smoke the cigar at a normal pace and I've not noticed a change in flavors due to temp.

The only issue I've had in cold(er) weather is, sometimes, when it's bitter cold and the RH is absurdly low, I'll have some wrapper issues (like cracking) ... but I've never noticed a change in flavor as the result of this.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

no wrapper issues as of yet...Probably the speed factor plays a slight roll. I just cant get into truely enjoying a cigar in lower temps. I guess there is alway March.
  • I'm also in Michigan and I find plenty of wrapper issues in these colder temps. I think the cold air sucks the moisture out of my smoke that has been sitting in a nice warm and moist environment. So...I wait until at least 40 degree's arrives before trying to ignite and enjoy one of my fav's and sometimes that might be pushing the envelope a bit as well. So maybe "ddubridge" is correct...March will arrive soon...Is it March yet....
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I find that if I'm smoking outside that if I let my cigar rest outside for 15-30 minutes before lighting up that it really helps with the burn.
  • challes2000challes2000 Posts: 1
    Thank you for all your comments. They really have helped me a lot. I live in CT and started smoking cigars in August and they tasted so good that I am hooked for life. Now that it is winter here it is cold and in CT the outdoor humidity is high outside. Now every cigar I smoke tastes like crap. I even bought Perdomo 10th anniversary that comes in a ready to smoke special humidity pack so you can smoke it immediately upon opening. Even this became damp after a few minutes and went into the garbage. I'm going to try some cigarillos and see if the much smaller size will help. It's going to be a long winter for me.