Home General Discussion

humidor problems

I'm having problems with my humidor, maybe someone here can help.

It's a 75 count, and I've got 2 xikar jars for humidity. My house is rather dry, but I've bought a humidifier for my office, where the cigars are stored. It's been running about 6 hours now.The RH of the room is about 72%. If I close the humidor box, the RH inside the humidor drops to 54%. It's a digital hygrometer, and fairly accurate.

I wiped down the box with distilled water when I first purchased it.

Why is it that it's dropping so low inside? What can I do to save the cigars? It actually seems better to leave the box open, as the hygrometer shows 70% by the cigars.

Comments

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    The xikar is a slow release jell, and this may be slower than you want for your obviously dryer cigars. these cigars may be to dry to humidify rapidly without damage. You must introduce humidity slowly.. Keep the box shut, with the cigars in it for a few days, it may be tough but they will come back slowly not in a hour or two. I don't think turning your office into a steam bath is going to help those cigars..Box closed, time.. Lots of it.

• Heh, thanks for the advice. The cigars are actually all good right now. I had run out and the box was empty, so I bought some last night. They were at 70%ish at the B&M cigar store, so I'm actually trying to avoid them dropping to 45%.

I didn't realize thexikar is slow release though. I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    also it may not be properly seasoned. Just wiping down the Humidor wont introduce enough humidity. I recommend a very different way to season.

set a shallow dish of distilled water in there untill the RH is consistently over 70% ( more than 24 hours at 70%) then add the Gel and take out the dish.

in the meantime put your sticks in a zip loc and suck all the air out. they should keep for the 2-3 days (at most) that this will take.
  • Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    Kuzi is right on...
    I just seasoned my new 300ct but I let it season for about 6 days to make sure then slowly started adding my ciagrs. Right now i've only got about a third of my smokes in and every day or so I will add more. So far, so good. Also make sure your digital hygrometer is cal'd properly.