Home Cigar 101
Options

Refigerate cigars?

gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
I'm going to visit my kids for a couple of days in Colorado (about 95 degrees where I am going), taking about 5 sticks in my herf-a-dor. As they do not have air conditioning, was wondering if I should put the herf-a-dor in the refigerator (since it is supposedly air tight and only for a couple of days) or if the sticks will be ok for the 48 hours or so I will be there. Thanks....

Comments

• Options
    Andrew_DzikoskiAndrew_Dzikoski Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    They should be just fine but I would advise letting them sit out for an hour before you light up.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    That seems like a reasonable solution for a few days to me as well. I agree that you should probably let them sit out before lighting up as well.

Also I'd advise making sure you charge your humidification device very well before putting it in the fridge as the lower temp will lower the RH.
  • Options
    JonathanEJonathanE Posts: 401
    If the mass of water in the air stays constant during a temperature drop then the RH goes up actually. The hotter the air is the more water it can "suspend" so the RH decreases with tempeature increase.

The deal with standard refrigeration cycles (compressor and evaporator) is that they cause a lot of condensation to take place which dries out the air, driving down the moisture content with an end result of decreased RH despite the temperature drop which would normally increase the RH. That's why thermoelectric coolers make the best coolerdors, because they do not affect the mass of water in the air via condensation.

JDE