Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Corona size Connecticuts

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
What's everyones take on Connecticut wrapper cigars in the corona vitola? I had a MoW Virtue in the conny wrapper tonight and didn't care for it much at all. I know the Virtue isn't one of the best connies out there, but the one I had in the toro was far better. Anyone tried anything else in that size. The best connecticuts I've had thus far are the Oliva Conn. Reserve in the londsdale and the G2 churchill. Curious to know if there are any good corona connies.

Comments

• Options
    MonteWhiteMonteWhite Posts: 200
    Of course, one of my favorite Connecticut wrapper cigars is the Montecristo White. The court (tubed - 5.5 x 44) is awesome. I've had the toro and churchill in addition to that, and I think the court is the best of those two. There is also the Especiale No. 3, which is the same vitola, but just not tubed, but I haven't tried it. I think the Montecristo White is a must try for those who like Connecticut wrapper cigars. I also do not like the MOW Virtue, but there are plenty that love it. I just find the pepper kick in that cigar to be odd.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    MonteWhite:
    Of course, one of my favorite Connecticut wrapper cigars is the Montecristo White. The court (tubed - 5.5 x 44) is awesome. I've had the toro and churchill in addition to that, and I think the court is the best of those two. There is also the Especiale No. 3, which is the same vitola, but just not tubed, but I haven't tried it. I think the Montecristo White is a must try for those who like Connecticut wrapper cigars. I also do not like the MOW Virtue, but there are plenty that love it. I just find the pepper kick in that cigar to be odd.
    Yes! It was a strange peppery flavor, especially in the corona I just had! Give the toro a try if you can. I found it much more satisfying.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    The EPC New Wave Connie in the Stellas vitola, and the Davidoff Grand Cru no. 2 and 3 are amazing.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Yep I'm one of those who likes the Virtue.. May want to give Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne a go. Or the Gurkha Park Ave..OH hell disregard neither one is available in a corona
  • Options
    dbeckomdbeckom Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Gurkha Symphony and the 601 Black Label Connecticut are my favorite two Connies. I haven't had several of those others mentioned.

"Any cigar smoker is friend, because I know how he feels." Alfred de Musset

"A fine cigar is just like a woman. If you don't light it up just right and suck on it with a certain frequency, it will go out on you." Unknown

“A pipe is to the troubled soul what caresses of a mother are for her suffering child.”  Indian Proverb
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    Yep I'm one of those who likes the Virtue.. May want to give Perdomo Reserve 10th Anniversary Champagne a go. Or the Gurkha Park Ave..OH hell disregard neither one is available in a corona
    +1 I love all three mentioned, although I'm probably a bit of a rare-bird in that I still enjoy a nice connie quite a bit.

The 5Vegas Gold nugget (pettite corona) is pretty good for a quickie. One of my favorites is the Ashton original, but I've never had that in a corona.

Oh yeah, try the C.Com Purple Label in the corona. I've had a couple of those and think it does well in that vitola, plus you can get them dirt cheap so it's no loss if you don't care for them.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    If they made the Park Ave in a corona I'd be a happy man...too bad Gurkha's not gonna listen to what the people want like AJ Fernandez does...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    The only two I can think of that I've had are the Virtue and 5 Vegas Gold, I liked both of them a lot. In fact it was the best 5 Vegas Gold I've ever had. I enjoy the Virtue, even in corona, but really like the mini salomon the best. Now that I think of it I need to try more conny coronas!
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    I thought the Virtue corona was fantastic! But then I also have a box of them in the lonsdale... The Ccom Purple in corona is awesome, need a box of those for sure. Oliva Conny is great as well...
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    For real though, once CCom gets them in stock, you guys have GOT to try the EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut in the Stellas Petite corona size... $4.50 per stick, and one of the most flavorful Connecticuts I have ever had. They are solid medium bodied, and have have tons of flavor. None of the papery hay that a lot of lower quality, run of the mill Connies have (which tend to give all Connie wrapped sticks that reputation). They have a touch of that fruity character that Dominican tobacco gives, as well as a bit of musk that certain aged tobaccos give.
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    For real though, once CCom gets them in stock, you guys have GOT to try the EP Carrillo New Wave Connecticut in the Stellas Petite corona size... $4.50 per stick, and one of the most flavorful Connecticuts I have ever had. They are solid medium bodied, and have have tons of flavor. None of the papery hay that a lot of lower quality, run of the mill Connies have (which tend to give all Connie wrapped sticks that reputation). They have a touch of that fruity character that Dominican tobacco gives, as well as a bit of musk that certain aged tobaccos give.
    Dude, that sounds right up my alley. These are now officially on the 'must try' list. Thanks for pointing them out.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I'll scoop some up, givin the opportunity, thanks
  • Options
    Duder2Duder2 Posts: 926
    docbp87:
    My B&M got some of those in, may have to give it a whirl...