Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

5 Vegas Cask Strength 2

Before I get into the thick of this, know that this is all part of training my palette, so you probably won't find the same insight that you might see in other reviews. Also, these are notes I took by hand while I smoked. Because of that, some of the sentences may be in short form.

Construction - Beautiful, reddish brown wrapper. Flawless. Tight seams, no cracks, shiny, oily, looks great box pressed.

Pre-Light - Off the foot I'm getting leather and spice, then a ton of sweet chocolate. Tight draw. Hope that opens up. Oak and spice on the pre-draw.

1st 3rd - Burn started off uneven (a small run) but that's almost fixed itself within the first half inch. Not getting a ton of smoke, but there's quite a punch. Lots of spice in my mouth and throat. Bitter chocolate on the palette with more sweetness on the retrohale.

2nd 3rd - Draw is opening up. Leather, spice, and cocoa are still present, but more balanced. Before, spice and chocolate were in the forefront. Getting some great cinnamon off the retrohale.

3rd 3rd - Cocoa is back to the forefront. Definitely a strong cigar. Hits me in the head and gut. Burnt almond and oak compliment the chocolate.

This was the toro (6x52) and had been resting in my humidor since 06/16/10.

imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love these. I get the leather, oak and cocoa, and to me a sense of sweet curry and paprika. Like a barbecue.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Good review sir, & the pics are really awesome. Though I did have to say "EWWWW" when I saw that ACID band on the table, or what looks like an ACID band.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Excellent review man - short, sweet and to the point as they should be. Answered most every question anyone would have about the stick without getting all Cigar Afficianado on us. LOL I am a fan of this stick as well, makes me wonder what the differences are between it and the original Cask Strength. Got a box of these aging, cant wait to see what a year or two does for them!

• Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Good review sir, & the pics are really awesome. Though I did have to say "EWWWW" when I saw that ACID band on the table, or what looks like an ACID band.
    I'm pretty sure thats the 5 vegas foot band, Nice review, I think the cigar wrapper is pretty special too, ..
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    blurr:
    Haha! I live a strictly ACID free life. That was indeed the food band from the Cask Strength.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    blurr:
    Haha! I live a strictly ACID free life. That was indeed the food band from the Cask Strength.
    +1,
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    JudoChinX:
    blurr:

Whew, that makes me feel better. Just making sure. I thought for a second maybe they come with a footband, so you can tell I haven't bought any CSII's yet.
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Excellent review
  • Options
    VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a huge problem with your post----------why is that beautiful glass of adult drink as full at the end of the cigar than pre light?????;)
  • Options
    JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    Vulchor:
    I have a huge problem with your post----------why is that beautiful glass of adult drink as full at the end of the cigar than pre light?????;)
    Don't worry. I finished it after all was said and done. A great bourbon (Bulleit) but it seemed to overwhelm some of the subtleties of the smoke.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Great review. I love these cigars, especially with a year or more under their belt - like yours! They are great candidates for aging.