Home Cigar 101

Conservagel question...

jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
I know...but I did do a search and read first. I can't do what everyone else has done because my problem is differnt.

So...my 65% converagel beads come, I place in an old stocking cause they didn't send the mesh bag. I got some toothpicks instead! Whatever. I charge them up by misting them, roll the stocking and misting evenly until most are slightly see thru. Check the beginning rH in the winedor and its a blissful 68% rH. Right where I like it. I throw in the conservagel beads. Leave for a day and check...80% rH. Uh oh. I removed the beads. Left the door open to air out a bit. I looked at the beads and they are dry! So dry that when I move the stockind around, there is dust coming from the beads and they are all white again as if they have dumped all moisture. Decided to wait for a couple days and let the rH settle before I tried again. 2 days go by and I gave it another shot. I went with charging method #2 I found by reading the search results. I found a small dish placed some of the beads...not all...and put some water directly on them. Let them fill then placed them with left over beads and mixed in. I let the stocking rest for a bit to ensure the outside was dry. Check the rH before it goes in and its at 70%. The beads looked nice and it felt good so back in it goes before bed. Checked it in the AM and its back up to 80% rH again!

Shouldn't the beads have lowered the rH since they are 65% beads. At lease keep rH down a bit and not sky rocket it to 80% rH every time. If the rH of the box is higher than the rH of the beads, the beads would either not release moisture since rH is higher than the beads or draw moisture from the air and lowering the overall rH of the box.

Wineador info: 18 or 21 bottle winedor. 3 large Spanish Cedar shelves. Approx 70 cigars inside, approx. 160 total capacity. Using a digital hygrometer. Temp sits at 66'-67'.

Comments

• laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jr_p951:
    I know...but I did do a search and read first. I can't do what everyone else has done because my problem is differnt.

So...my 65% converagel beads come, I place in an old stocking cause they didn't send the mesh bag. I got some toothpicks instead! Whatever. I charge them up by misting them, roll the stocking and misting evenly until most are slightly see thru. Check the beginning rH in the winedor and its a blissful 68% rH. Right where I like it. I throw in the conservagel beads. Leave for a day and check...80% rH. Uh oh. I removed the beads. Left the door open to air out a bit. I looked at the beads and they are dry! So dry that when I move the stockind around, there is dust coming from the beads and they are all white again as if they have dumped all moisture. Decided to wait for a couple days and let the rH settle before I tried again. 2 days go by and I gave it another shot. I went with charging method #2 I found by reading the search results. I found a small dish placed some of the beads...not all...and put some water directly on them. Let them fill then placed them with left over beads and mixed in. I let the stocking rest for a bit to ensure the outside was dry. Check the rH before it goes in and its at 70%. The beads looked nice and it felt good so back in it goes before bed. Checked it in the AM and its back up to 80% rH again!

Shouldn't the beads have lowered the rH since they are 65% beads. At lease keep rH down a bit and not sky rocket it to 80% rH every time. If the rH of the box is higher than the rH of the beads, the beads would either not release moisture since rH is higher than the beads or draw moisture from the air and lowering the overall rH of the box.

Wineador info: 18 or 21 bottle winedor. 3 large Spanish Cedar shelves. Approx 70 cigars inside, approx. 160 total capacity. Using a digital hygrometer. Temp sits at 66'-67'.

Hi Jr. Your problem sounds like overcharged beads. It is a mistake made VERY ofter with these beads. The beads are charged pretty well when they arrive. To add moisture to them initially I found it easiest to put them into a container with a bowl of water and leave them for a couple of days. They will absorb the moisture they need up to but not over the limit. When misting or adding water directly to them it is almost impossible not to overcharge them.

You can put them back into the sock and hang them out to dry or use a hair dryer ON LOW!!!! and blow them dry. I have heard of putting them on a cookie sheet and putting them into a LOW HEAT (Under 150) oven. They gave off so much humidity because they were overcharged and were not working inside the range of RH they were designed for. Try drying them out and just let them soak up water through the air by placing them inside a container with a bowl of water and leave them for a couple days. It works great and is much less hassle in the end. Good luck, keep us posted.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    I had this exact same problem with my beads too. As Laker said, I way overcharged them. I just left them sit out for a couple of weeks until they dried out in front of the air conditioner and fan. I put them back in the fridgeadors (a pound of 65% beads in each one) and they've been holding a beautiful 65% since. At first, I thought I got rooked out of the money for the beads thinking they didn't work. They should just tell ya that they're pretty much charged to where they need to be when you buy them. If I'm not mistaken, they work both ways as far as drawing in excess humidity to maintain 65%.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    Update...

I removed the beads from the wine cooler. Used the wife's hairdryer on warm/low and slowly dried them out. She was watching some garbage on tv and watching beads dry out was a much better option. Once they were pretty white and dusty again, I laid the pouch out in front of a fan. I left the door of the wine cooler open for about 6 hours to air out some of the humidity. The next morning, I put the beads back in the wine cooler and waited to see how it balanced out. Before bed last night it was 68% rH. This morning it was 71% rH. A little high for my taste but fine. We'll see what happens. The drain plug is still open (but the beads are covering it) so maybe I'll tape it. Thats the only variable left. Idealy I would like for it to settle out a little bit lower, around 68% rH. The temp stays pretty constant at 66' or 65'. Overall its doing much better!
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    When adding beads, the environment takes time to settle.....typically 70% of the beads or so should be clear, throw them in and lit them sit, keep it closed as much as possible and everytime your mind tells you to chedck them, ignore it......give it a good week, it takes time.....
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Diamondog:
    When adding beads, the environment takes time to settle.....typically 70% of the beads or so should be clear, throw them in and lit them sit, keep it closed as much as possible and everytime your mind tells you to chedck them, ignore it......give it a good week, it takes time.....
    I know the next time I purchase beads I will be intorducing them into my humi or coolerdor as they come with NO charging. These things are trained to stay within the range they are set at and with all the problems BOTL have had in the past with overcharging them the first time out. I think I will just introduce them, then add a bowl of water into the space and let them soak it up as needed IF needed.
  • JudoChinXJudoChinX Posts: 775
    I experienced a similar issue just yesterday. Bought a couple pounds of beads for my new coolidor, and after adding them to the container already holding a dish of water, RH went up to 75. Pulled the dish of water out, then took 3/4 of the beads out to dry in the air a bit, and put them back in. It's now at a perfect 70 like it should be.