Home General Discussion
Options

5 Vegas Cask Strength

Does anyone have any thoughts on this cigar? I'm a fan of the 5 Vegas line, and I'm not sure how this one ended up in my humidor. Just curious if anyone has tried it.

Comments

• Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    cheyman:
    I'm not sure how this one ended up in my humidor.
    Ahh.. you've got it! I was wondring where I left that thing! Thanks for finding it... I was starting to think somebody had smoked it. I'll shoot you my addy. Thanks again!
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    dutyje:
    cheyman:
    I'm not sure how this one ended up in my humidor.
    Ahh.. you've got it! I was wondring where I left that thing! Thanks for finding it... I was starting to think somebody had smoked it. I'll shoot you my addy. Thanks again!
    And I knew that was coming...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    An original Cask Strength, or a Cask Strength II? I've had the CS II and it was very good, full bodied and oh so tasty. I haven't had the pleasure of the original.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I have one coming in the boutique sampler i ordered.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    just got one in that boutique sampler...i'll have to try it soon
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    the cask strength (the first one) was one of my favorite cigars 5 vegas put out.

I wish i had more. they are becoming harder and harder to find. Im fairly sure ill never be able to smoke the original again.

thank god there is a 5VCS II !!
  • Options
    cheymancheyman Posts: 157
    How do I know if it is a I or II? Is it clearly marked?
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    The original has a red label, while the new release is kind of a burgundy color.
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    Should have mentioned that the original (red) cask uses a "gran reserva" label (Much like the one used on the 5V classic label, while the new one uses a completely new label.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I won an auction for ten of the II's. Gotta say they are my favorite 5 Vegas smoke yet! I wish SOMEONE would sell these by the box! (Hint, Hint!)
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I have about 6 of these but have not tried them yet.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump.

just read a post by Kuzi on a different thread about the original Cask Strength vs CS2. Didn't want to hijack that thread so I thought I'd ask here....what's the difference between them - taste/flavor/strength wise?
    I love the Cask Strength and didn't realize there were different "versions" of this cigar. I've noticed the "2" in the name before but never thought much of it.
    I'm assuming I have the CS2 since they were purchased within the past 6 months and have the maroon-ish label, even though they don't say "2".

Any info on the difference between CS1 and CS2 would be much appreciated, and anyone know where I can grab some CS1s. I'd love to see how these compare.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    the original was supposed to be a one time run LE. i have a feeling that there was a specific vintage leaf that was in there that made that cigar what it was. the original CS was so popular that 5 vegas made it a regular production line. it is very similar in taste but that particular blend is no longer there. the original was a bit smoother and a bit rounder. the finish was not quite as spicy. the second edition (current cigar) was originally marketed as the "Cask Strength II" and if i am not mistaken, the second band used to say "Cask Strength II" not just "Cask Strength" like it does now.
    cigar.com has them listed correctly as the "Cask Strength II"
    hope that helps
  • Options
    Yes that helps and is exactly what I was looking for.
    Also, do you know what year(s) the original CS was produced? Also was it the same, box-pressed toro, vitola as the CS2?

Thanks again Kuzi!

• Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    Original CS and CSII side by side. I love the original and they are probably my most coveted cigars in my collection. I had one about three months ago and have three left. They have about four or five years on them, and man oh MAN what a cigar they have become. image
  • Options
    SaVas:
    Original CS and CSII side by side. I love the original and they are probably my most coveted cigars in my collection. I had one about three months ago and have three left. They have about four or five years on them, and man oh MAN what a cigar they have become. image

wow
  • Options
    My first post, I think I was mistaken when I said I have been aging them for 4 to 5 years. I think its more like 5 to 7 years of age. I found an old magazine from early 08 and they had the CSII for sale in it already. Anyway, I gently took one out of the wrapper to take some better pictures so others can see the bands on the head and foot for comparison to their maroon CS or CSII banded cigars.
    Here is a close up of the band
    Here is a closeup of the band on the foot
    Found description on the web regarding the original CS:
    Size: 5.75 X 54 Toro
    Wrapper: Cuban Seed Dominican
    Binder: Dominican Corojo
    Filler: Brazilian ('99), Piloto Cubano ('99), Nicaraguan('99)
    Body: Med-Full
    Strength: Medium
  • Options
    SaVas:
    My first post, I think I was mistaken when I said I have been aging them for 4 to 5 years. I think its more like 5 to 7 years of age. I found an old magazine from early 08 and they had the CSII for sale in it already. Anyway, I gently took one out of the wrapper to take some better pictures so others can see the bands on the head and foot for comparison to their maroon CS or CSII banded cigars.
    Found description on the web regarding the original CS: Size: 5.75 X 54 Toro Wrapper: Cuban Seed Dominican Binder: Dominican Corojo Filler: Brazilian ('99), Piloto Cubano ('99), Nicaraguan('99) Body: Med-Full Strength: Medium
    WOWW!!! Those look awesome and thanks for that info.
    How was the original CS when you smoked it three months ago?

• Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Cant speak to the original CS, but I am a fan of the CSII. Really good after a full meal, the stick has a good amount of kick to it. A little rough around the edges at first... but I found out last night they age VERY nicely. :-)

• Options
    jgibv:
    SaVas:
    Found description on the web regarding the original CS: Size: 5.75 X 54 Toro Wrapper: Cuban Seed Dominican Binder: Dominican Corojo Filler: Brazilian ('99), Piloto Cubano ('99), Nicaraguan('99) Body: Med-Full Strength: Medium
    WOWW!!! Those look awesome and thanks for that info.
    How was the original CS when you smoked it three months ago?

Remember, I'm going on memory, but I have smoked enough of them to be fairly accurate on memory. I do know when I fire one up, I take my time with it, as I know once they are gone, there are no more.

They have a completely different taste/profile than the newer CS maroon label which could be attributed to the age on them now. I remember loving the original many years ago, and kept about a number of them to see how age would progress them. I was glad I did. Over the years I was smoking 2 or 3 a year until a couple years ago or so when I had 5 left.

There is a sweet almost caramelish/peanut scent mixed with a cedar whiff on first light, intermingled with what reminds me of Fall season when walking in a forest. There is a certain smell to the air during that time of year. Not quite what others term 'damp earth', but hard to put my finger on. The first third has a mild pepper flavor to it with traces of a sweet butterscotch, and nuances of leather, almond, and pure tobacco. Plus its quite creamy, with hints of a mild coffee.

The second third I pick up a stronger cedar and woody profile, especially on the retrohale where the creaminess, cedar, nut, and a sweet spice stand out. The cigar never gets bitter, harsh, or overpowering even at the end. Its definitely a medium strength, with a lot of complexity, and a lot of trace flavors.

The last third, the pepperiness picks up just enough, but never overpowering, and picks up an espresso, leather, earth, with dark chocolate. Its definitely a cigar, over the years, I have nubbed, to the point of almost blistering my finger tips. I also normally drink coffee, or bourbon, scotch, martini, diet coke, or something when I smoke cigars, but in the case of the original CS, I will only drink cool, but not cold, filtered water. The cigar stands out on its own.
  • Options
    SaVas:
    I just got a chubby! So jealous you have those.
  • Options
    Tried these a month or so ago- loved them!
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been dying to try these. Got 2 in the humi of the II that is havent ever seen an original till this post, but just haven't been able to bring myself to firing one up till I get around to ordering some replacements.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Been dying to try these. Got 2 in the humi but just haven't been able to bring myself to firing one up till I get around to ordering some replacements.
    There's no rush, these are much better with age.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Rhamlin:
    Been dying to try these. Got 2 in the humi but just haven't been able to bring myself to firing one up till I get around to ordering some replacements.
    I can help you out! Let me know if u want them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review, Savas. The CS original sounds absolutely delicious. Hopefully the CS2s will age just as nicely as the originals have.
    The most "aged" CS2 I've smoked had close to a year on it, and it was certainly a different smoke than it was right out of the box. I'll have to let some CS2s sit for a few years and see how they turn out.

Also, Kuzi you were right about it being a LE leaf. I dug around a little more online and found a review/description about the original CS on a different website.
    I've copied it below for anyone who's interested.
    "Let the path be open to talent," so said Napoleon. That's why this special blend was released under the 5 Vegas label last month....the second limited-edition blend ever launched by 5 Vegas (the other being the Limitada series). It was simply too good a blend not to use. That's because its maker, La Aurora, had been storing just enough of this particular lot of Dominican wrapper tobacco to create a mere 60,000 cigars. Clearly that kind of small-ish supply would be not enough for an ongoing production cigar; but just as clear was the fact that it'd be a dirty sin to let it go unreleased.

I don't know if it's just a temporary infatuation or something more permanent, but ever since this cigar hit our humidor I have been 100% enamored with it.

The name Cask-Strength is a nod to the term used in making malt whiskies - stronger, undiluted, uncut, cask-strength whisky is typically powerful and full-flavored. So as you'd suspect 5 Vegas Cask-Strength cigars are heavy in body and full of character. But it's similar to RP Edge cigars in that its power is very balanced, not just full-bore strength....it leaves you satisfied not dizzy, its strength you feel in the belly not in the head. Rolled in '05 of tobaccos cultivated in 1999, the lovely Piloto Cubano Dominican wrapper is the real story - a toothy, mottled-looking leaf that is as appealing in the hand as it is to burn. Cask-Strength delivers ample spice up front, its character actually smooth and slightly creamy. Toward the second half it grows in power and complexity right down to the conclusion.

When you are jonesin' for a full-bodied cigar with complexity and character (and a reasonable price tag), why smoke anything but 5 Vegas Cask-Strength?

• Options
    Man, I would love to try these.
  • Options
    I wonder how many of the original CS are still out there? I know I have not been able to find any for a few years.
  • Options
    SaVas:
    I wonder how many of the original CS are still out there? I know I have not been able to find any for a few years.
    Idk but I'd bet they're few and far between. My guess would be that all the originals have long since been sold and any few that are left are in private collections/not for sale.

You figure they were released at least 5 years ago? And as Kuzi originally pointed out it was a 1 time-ltd edition run....(of only 60,000 cigars).

For what it's worth, I've never seen any at the B&Ms around here.

• Options
    CvilleE:
    Rhamlin:
    I can help you out! Let me know if u want them.
    If you are interested in trading one or two let me know what you would be looking for.