Home Cigar 101

Yet another New Humidor issue

...but a little different.

I finally got my new one after having an old one with no hygrometer and just refreshing the "puck" once a week with luck so far.  The original humidifier dried up, but it's a small box.

Got it seasoned, calibrated the analog hygrometer and surprisingly, after an initial adjustment, the salt test and wet rag test came out really accurate.  However, I got my new digital in the mail today and it's in the bag testing for calibration now.

Here's my problem, the humidifier attaches to the lid via magnet, which a steel plate is dbl sided taped to the lid then the humidifier attaches to the plate via magnets.  After 2-3 days, the tape gave way and dropped the humidifier.  I had it secured about as well as I could but I really was leery of the tape on the wood.

Does anyone have a better way of attaching the humidifier other than cleaning off the tape on it now and using new, maybe better dbl sided tape?

I'm really looking forward to stocking up again now that I have a much large humidor as well as my old one for back up stock, but I really want to feel confident all the gear will stay put!

Comments

• Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    Velcro. You can buy it in strips at Lowes or Home Depot then cut it to size.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont put things on the lid anymore. it ALWAYS falls off.

but if you have to....

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    wouldn't the fumes of the glue be bad for the humi? I mean that stuff is strong.. Glue infused cigars, lol
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    no fumes when dry. but like i said, i wouldnt put stuff on the lid anymore anyway.
  • JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
    Well I went against what I thought I'd do.  I couldn't find any tape that satisfied me as strong enough that would last, so I used Loc-Tite Sumo glue for Wood.

It's got as close to no odor as you can get.  Dries quick and appears to ave made to metal plates a permanent fixture on the lid.  I can't even get the the plates to start to bend when trying to pry it off.

We'll see how it works.

My digi hygrometer is still testing.  I hit the "set" button my mistake and think that reset the calibrated default.  It's back in the tester bag, adjusted up a little then it'll replace the pretty, inaccurate analog.  ;)

Thanks for the feedback.