Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

A Favorite list...

I was thinking yesterday about how it would be nice to have a list of people here at the C.Com forums and their favorite cigars. My initial thinking was that it would make trading and passes so much easier for the simplw reason that you would at least have an idea of what kind of smokes your potential trading partner prefers.
After reading thru a profile you could use the information to come up with a "smoking profile" of the other person and could then make some better choices for sticks to send to that person.
Now I like the idea of getting some new "untried" smokes that happen with the passes now. This could still happen as you may decide by looking over a list of a persons' favorites that you think they may like a particular stick they haven't tried yet, but still meets their preferred choices, or smoking profile.
Anyway just a thought. Anybody think it is worth a shot to compile this list which could constantly be updated if a person chooses to do so as your tastes change or evolve? What section of the forum would be best suited for this if we do it?

Comments

• Options
    alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    I don't know how much my opinion matters, but sounds like a pretty good idea. I would say put it in the trades section and see if you can get a moderator to make it a sticky.
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Thanks alienmisprint.
    Everybody's voice counts here bro'
    We actually don't use Mods here at C.Com. It has been discussed but the sentiment around here is we police ourselves pretty well so Mods (at least in the traditional sense) are not required.
    That is why I threw it out there... using the Democratic voice of the members who post here to decide if this would be a useful Thread for members to get to know the other BOTL's here smoking fav's for use in trades and such.
    We the people will decide !!! LMAO
  • Options
    Oh, right on. Is there any way to make it a sticky then?
  • Options
    alienmisprint:

*** man don't ask me. I have a hard enough time making these posts show up (after several edits) on the forums. I can do pictures now !
    If you say Sticky to me it means those little yellow "post it" note pads. That isn't what you mean, is it? LOL
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    alienmisprint:
    Unfortunately not Alien. Our version of a sticky is to just post on it repeatedly or put a link to it in your signature.

I like the idea lake. I know when I've been sending out bombs or passes, pifs, etc. I try to dig through posts to find what people may like.
  • Options
    A sticky is where you can make a thread stay at the top of a board, no matter the age or inactivity.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great idea Laker, well I can see that the best place would be the "bio". I mean all you have to do is click on someone's name and click bio and it's right there. Anyone else think this would work?
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    A list is not a bad idea...but I put mine on my bio already. Although I see this the same as beer; a free be beer is the best so free smokes are good smokes. Can't complain too much about being bombed or pif'd if they are free.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great idea Laker, well I can see that the best place would be the "bio". I mean all you have to do is click on someone's name and click bio and it's right there. Anyone else think this would work?

Yup that would work as well or better then a thread just for that.
    Now how are we going to get everyone to include this in their bio.
    It sure would be easy to simply click on the bio of the BOTL that you were trading with or passing to, or even BOMBING and see what sticks and or blends, and tastes that BOTL had listed there.
    Great idea squirrel. I'm off to update my bio :)
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i wouldnt mind making a list just so people know, but personally i like to be surprised by what i get. its how i find out about new cigars.
  • Options
    dep691dep691 Posts: 311

laker1963:
    alienmisprint:

*** man don't ask me. I have a hard enough time making these posts show up (after several edits) on the forums. I can do pictures now !
    If you say Sticky to me it means those little yellow "post it" note pads. That isn't what you mean, is it? LOL

LMAO, brother I still haven't figured out how to make a different paragraph much alone posting pictures. Therefore I keep my Posts short :-). Onto the subject at hand sounds good to me.

• Options
    dep691:

laker1963:
    alienmisprint:

LMAO, brother I still haven't figured out how to make a different paragraph much alone posting pictures. Therefore I keep my Posts short :-). Onto the subject at hand sounds good to me.

I know ! WTF is up with that eh?
    Hey Dep. If you want to put a space into your post type this... BR and place those two letters inside of this type of brackets <> shown. If you do the same thing twice it will insert two spaces and so on. Give it a try.
    I had to show you that way because if I had of put the letters inside the brackets in my post you would have seen the space it made, but NOT the instructions as to how to do it.
    Confused now ? LOL
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

laker1963:
    phobicsquirrel:

Yup that would work as well or better then a thread just for that.
    Now how are we going to get everyone to include this in their bio.
    It sure would be easy to simply click on the bio of the BOTL that you were trading with or passing to, or even BOMBING and see what sticks and or blends, and tastes that BOTL had listed there.
    Great idea squirrel. I'm off to update my bio :)

Also besides favorite smokes maybe put your mailing addy....that way if you want to send someone a bomb or surprise them  with a smoke they mentioned they would like to try or send a birthday stick or two as some have their birthdays listed you could do so without the other party knowing , no having to get addys from other people .....just a thought

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The downside I see there, gm, is having one's mailing addy publicly posted on the internets. I'm not entirely sure how private the private messages are (I've never tried navigating directly to one, but I suspect it'd work), but they're at least somewhat less public.

That said, I think you've got a good idea, laker, and the squirrel is right -- the bio seems the perfect place.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

urbino:
    The downside I see there, gm, is having one's mailing addy publicly posted on the internets. I'm not entirely sure how private the private messages are (I've never tried navigating directly to one, but I suspect it'd work), but they're at least somewhat less public.

That said, I think you've got a good idea, laker, and the squirrel is right -- the bio seems the perfect place.

You are exactly right 'Bino, for a brief moment I had blinders on thinking about our little club here, too much oppurtunity for mischief ....strike my idea , occasionally we all have a rush of dumb a_ss to the head ....that should do me for about 6 mos worth ....

• Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Eh, don't sweat it. I do something every once in a while to remind myself my ass is dumb, too.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    urbino:

Yeah mailing address is a little too much. I'll be putting some favs and wants in the 'ol bio..
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Yeah mailing address is a little too much. I'll be putting some favs and wants in the 'ol bio..
    I think your sig says it all!