Home Non Cigar Related

Vinyl

JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
Anyone still enjoy records? I had a decent set up and am listening to Led Zeppelin IV right now. Love it.
"Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky

Comments

• jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JSaint:
    Anyone still enjoy records? I had a decent set up and am listening to Led Zeppelin IV right now. Love it.
    i thought about setting one back up but will just stick with my cd player, its hooked up to a marantz model 2325 and a set of pioneer CS B9000 speakers thou,lol
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Vinyl. You mean that stuff from last century? Yeh, I have a few. LMAO. Worn down to the label.
    I understand the new releases and turntables are outstanding. I have a few direct discs from way back, but alas, they are also worn.
    Having lived in the days of mono, hifi, stereo, quadrophonic (Yes I had a quad. Listening to ELP "Lucky man" in quad is awesome), and seeing and hearing the changes through the years, Digital music has far surpassed the quality of vinyl.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    i have some vinyl but it's all from Sublime and most of it is pretty rare.
  • djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    I am a dj and I still spin on vinyl! :) It just sounds better!
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    I have a huge collection vinyl. Probably around 800 records. I love vinyl.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I own a ton of vinyl.. Probably a thousand albums. Some day I'll drag them out and sell them somewhere. Haven't played one in twenty years.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love vinyl! If I had the disposable income back when the Deftones did their box release of all theirs I would have snatched it up
  • e6specialke6specialk Posts: 216
    I have an AMI/Rowe Jukebox that plays 45s, they sound great.
  • I still listen to records sometimes. Granted.. Cd quality is better, but it just doesn't have the same "rawness" that an Lp/Ep has.
  • JSaintJSaint Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    I own a ton of vinyl.. Probably a thousand albums. Some day I'll drag them out and sell them somewhere. Haven't played one in twenty years.
    Could just send them to me Kas =p. lol
    "Beauty is in the eye when you hold her." -Ricky
  • letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    holy crap, Yeah I am just getting back into it. I am going through an audio phase right now. I was talking to my mp3, I mean son, about music quality and compression. Well I ended up getting out the thorens and setting it up again. I havent had it set up in 6 years. Man I forgot how excellent vinyl can sound. I don't know why I ever traded them out for cd's
  • GrazuhGrazuh Posts: 164
    ENFIDL:
    I love vinyl! If I had the disposable income back when the Deftones did their box release of all theirs I would have snatched it up
    +1 Love the Deftones.

I've collected vinyl off and on for years, but haven't owned a record player since I was a kid. Mostly Kyuss, QOTSA and Hum.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    I "Had" about 200 Rock N Roll albums,, some european only releases that I purchase when I was in Germany.. A couple I hadnt ever opened.. Lost em
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV1dyV9d_1k
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    The Kid:
    I "Had" about 200 Rock N Roll albums,, some european only releases that I purchase when I was in Germany.. A couple I hadnt ever opened.. Lost em
    Really that sucks....I have probly a 100+.....I have everything from the first Hank Williams...to Folsom Prison Live...Elvis....Prince Purple or Rain (or somethin I don't know, came with some concert pics in the sleeve)...Guns N Roses...n more... I love to here the clear analog sound of classics...I should add that to the what do u collect thread...I even picked up a Lynyrd Skynyrd album up at a local pawn shop...the wife was there and didn't know what it was..lol...got their Pronounced 'Leh-'n
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    The Kid:
    Really that sucks....I have probly a 100+.....I have everything from the first Hank Williams...to Folsom Prison Live...Elvis....Prince Purple or Rain (or somethin I don't know, came with some concert pics in the sleeve)...Guns N Roses...n more... I love to here the clear analog sound of classics...I should add that to the what do u collect thread...I even picked up a Lynyrd Skynyrd album up at a local pawn shop...the wife was there and didn't know what it was..lol...got their Pronounced 'Leh-'n
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are there any Borks out there who are collectors of old amplifiers, turntables, etc. ? I have some gear from the 60's and 70's I'd be willing to part with. PM me if you're interested.
    CvilleE:
    CvilleE:
    The Kid:
    jlmarta:
    Are there any Borks out there who are collectors of old amplifiers, turntables, etc. ? I have some gear from the 60's and 70's I'd be willing to part with. PM me if you're interested.
    Im still into some of that stuff, I picked up my system when I was in Germany,, One of the loudest systems in the dorm,,,lol,,, The guys just loved me... Nothin like getting off a night shift and blastin out some Nazareth Hair of The DoG....,,Most of my Equipment is Yamaha, some Onkyo, Some TEAC, Cerwin Vega Speakers .. I got well over 400 cassettes,,PM sent
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Necro-bump. We got an old stereo from my wife's gram that recently passed (she was 97!). It's from the 1970's and still sounds pretty amazing. So we're starting to build a collection. Any suggestions on "must have" albums? Thanks!
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't have any of the old albums or records - just some equipment. 

An AM/FM receiver/amplifier with a built-in 8-track player. I think it's a Fisher IIRC...

A Garrard automatic turntable - I don't recall the model offhand. I'd have to go look it up. 

Thats about all all I have left... 

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skweekz said:
    Any suggestions on "must have" albums? Thanks!

Since you asked,.... I'd say Frampton Comes Alive. 
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I worked in record and then CD stores for 11 years. I had a great collection-3k with many bootlegs and rarities.
    Must have:
    Beatles- Sgt Pepper
    Led Zeppelin- First
    Singles S/T
    Thin Lizzy- Jailbreak
    UFO- Lights Out
    Smashing Pumpkins- Siamese Dream or Gish
    CSN & Y- Deja Vu
    Janis Joplin & Big Brother & the Holding Company
    Jimi Hendrix- Are you experienced 
    The Doors- L.A Woman
  • Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I no longer have records or a turntable, but still have a Carver receiver that makes great sound. Maybe I should hook it up again? or just sell it?
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • TX98Z28TX98Z28 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vinyl records are lossless audio, but does wear down if played excessively (gets ridges).

It's just classic to have a vinyl record player hooked up to a  vintage receiver with passive 3 way cabinets! Excellent drivers with voice coils aligned are a must have also. Seas, Scan-Speak, Morel, Hertz etc. all make drivers with superior SQ than most of this trash thats on the market these days.

Of course sitting at the critical distance while listening makes a difference as well!!! 

Most digital audio formats is lossy these days and the lack of detail (whats lost) can be heard easily with expensive speakers, amplifier that are ran active set up and EQ'd properly.

FLAC, ALAC is lossless digital but takes up a lot of space on the hard drive. Some up to a 1GB or more for just one album vs100-130MB of 320kbps in lossy format. Is it superior to Vinyl? Hell no, they both have their place. Storage space being the problem for most.

For the common joe, with crappy unequalized Bose drivers, lossy 320kbps will satisfy them just fine, while taking up the least amount of storage space.

Now a Reel to Reel…thats a whole different animal!  
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    I gave away all my records when I converted to CDs when they came out, but now have records from my parents and my late Sister-In-Law so I've been thinking of getting a turntable to be able to play them again.  Someday.

Pink Floyd Animals may be a good album to listen to. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Yakster said:
    I gave away all my records when I converted to CDs when they came out, but now have records from my parents and my late Sister-In-Law so I've been thinking of getting a turntable to be able to play them again.  Someday.

Pink Floyd Animals is an excellent album, you have a very good taste of music :)

Pink Floyd 95% of the time is the only thing I will listen to when smoking a cigar. Just listened to The Endless River last night while smoking and man was it fantastic! 
    If you quote me do the @TX98Z28 in your text or I won't be notified of your quote, Thanks.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TX98Z28 said:
    Yakster said:

Pink Floyd Animals is an excellent album, you have a very good taste of music :)

Pink Floyd 95% of the time is the only thing I will listen to when smoking a cigar. Just listened to The Endless River last night while smoking and man was it fantastic! 
    Metal was my fave. That's a serious record to listen to when tripping. Not that I do that now but once upon a time
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wonder how pissed my wife would be when I sell her records. We've no turn table or plans to get one. They're all from the 70s and 80s. 
  • YaksterYakster Posts: 25,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll put on Echos (side 2 of Meddle) when I want to gently go off to sleep. 
    I'll gladly bomb you Tuesday for an Opus today. 

Join us on the New Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
    Hopefully my response will get approved but if not Meddle was great and Echoes was far out there but probably the top song on Meddle.

I'm really getting sick my comments getting blocked for basically no reason at all.