Home Ratings & Reviews

Gurkha Vintage Shaggy

Just picked up one of these as I stumbled across a B&M on an overnight with my wife.This will be my first Gurkha, any thoughts on this?

Comments

• stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    OchoZacho:
    Just picked up one of these as I stumbled across a B&M on an overnight with my wife.This will be my first Gurkha, any thoughts on this?
    which one? the maddy or the natural?
    I love the maddy.

• OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    stephen_hannibal:
    OchoZacho:
    I love the maddy.

The maduro. I'm pretty pumped, I don't know what to expest as it's the frst Gurkha I'm gonna smoke.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Of course opinions vary, I enjoyed the one I had. It delivered what I expected.. coffee, woody, nice spice/pepper. I can't remember any bad about it at all. I have another growing old as I have been resting all my Gurkhas lately.. It should be a nice cigar.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    This is one of the gurkhas that I really like. So much so that I bought a box of the natural torpedos a few years ago and have been smoking them slow. I did have about 10 of the maduro. I only go to smoke a couple of them. The rest were damaged in a beetle outbreak. I am pretty sure the outbreak was because of them actually.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    rwheelwright:
    This is one of the gurkhas that I really like. So much so that I bought a box of the natural torpedos a few years ago and have been smoking them slow. I did have about 10 of the maduro. I only go to smoke a couple of them. The rest were damaged in a beetle outbreak. I am pretty sure the outbreak was because of them actually.
    damn where did you get em?
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OchoZacho:
    stephen_hannibal:
    OchoZacho:
    I love the maddy.

The maduro. I'm pretty pumped, I don't know what to expest as it's the frst Gurkha I'm gonna smoke.
    There are lots of opponents against Gurkha, and a handful who still absolutely love them. I will do my best to give you as unbiased an answer as I can. Hansotia is a great business man, and I think few can truly intelligently argue against that, and goes to very different and off-beat places the world over trying to get a very unique and special cigar. Due to this he has a gargantuan number of lines out, because the batches of tobacco are so small that there are few that can go on long term. When this happens quality generally starts to fall off because there are too many irons in the fire to properly manage each and every one. The older Gurkha's were back when Hansotia had FAR FAR fewer projects going on, and because of this I feel that it is safe to say that the quality of the sticks and the tobacco was much closer managed and controlled. The original release Gurkha Legend is still one of my benchmark cigars to this day, and there are several other Gurkha sticks that rank right up there with that... I believe the Shaggy Maduro Vintage could be one of them, but since I have not smoked it myself I cannot say with any certainty.

I believe that unfortunately Rocky Patel is walking a similar path today that Hansotia unfortunately walked down himself, which landed him where he is today. All of this is just opinion, but it is thoroughly thought through and support with at the very least sound theory and ideas. Just my 2 cents guys, but I would be VERY interested to know how this one turns out for you... truly hope its a great smoke!!

Brett aka THE Irish
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    The Kid:
    rwheelwright:
    damn where did you get em?
    Can't say on open forum.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    I've heard/read about these often, but I've never had one... I'm curious to see what you think of it...