Home Non Cigar Related
Options

What's goin on the table for turkey day?

Who here is doing the cooking Thursday? I'm throwing a buttermilk brined turkey b-reast on the smoker. That and some cornbread dressing will be my contribution to the dinner we are doing here.

Comments

• Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't really thought of it. We may still be laid up for repairs so probably Red Baron pizza.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Tofurkey and turkey. Wife is a vegitartian so we get a tofurkey log and I have to say it is exellent stuff.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    Not sure what my family will be eating...I will be grabbing what ever fast food is open as I have to work.....sucks this is my favorite holiday and I will miss the packer V Lions
  • Options
    doromathdoromath Posts: 576
    I will be smoking a heritage turkey again this year. My wife handles all the sides, and I help out while the bird rests.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Tofurkey and turkey. Wife is a vegitartian so we get a tofurkey log and I have to say it is exellent stuff.

Do you really have to say it's excellent stuff or is discretion the better part of valor? LOL

On another subject, Goldy, you have a PM.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I think the wife is going to brine a turkey this year. We'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tofurkey. My wife got on a meatless meat kick once. Gross! But that was beef flavored maybe the poultry is better, but it's hard to get past the texture for me.
  • Options
    Got a turkey going on the smoker, also found me another case of the Sam Adams Octoberfest beer, so while the wife and kids do all the sides and desserts, i will be kicked back in my chair in the garage watching the smoker and enjoying some of these new double happiness sticks and some nice beer.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Ham...Turkeys deserve to live...lol...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    Who here is doing the cooking Thursday? I'm throwing a buttermilk brined turkey b-reast on the smoker. That and some cornbread dressing will be my contribution to the dinner we are doing here.
    20lb apple brined turkey going on my smoker ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Glad to see we got some smoke chefs on the board.
  • Options
    gripnripgripnrip Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    CvilleE:
    Ham...Turkeys deserve to live...lol...
    Turkeys deserve to be eaten.....as they are delicious.
  • Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll be cooking for about 15 people this year. I love to cook and this is my favorite holiday! One the menu is a 23 lb Hokie Bird prepared in the oven (have a great recipe for turkey which includes pulling the skin back from the *** side of the turkey and spreading around melted butter and various spices). 13 lb honey glazed ham. Mashed potatoes, loaded baked mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, candied yams, REAL cranberry sauce (not the jelly stuff), stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, coconut pie (all a la mode). I think there are some other things I'm cooking up too but can't really think of it right now.

***note*** Can't believe cigar.com edited out "B/R/E/A/S/T" in when reference the turkey.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    I'll be cooking for about 15 people this year. I love to cook and this is my favorite holiday! One the menu is a 23 lb Hokie Bird prepared in the oven (have a great recipe for turkey which includes pulling the skin back from the *** side of the turkey and spreading around melted butter and various spices). 13 lb honey glazed ham. Mashed potatoes, loaded baked mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, candied yams, REAL cranberry sauce (not the jelly stuff), stuffing, pumpkin pie, apple pie, coconut pie (all a la mode). I think there are some other things I'm cooking up too but can't really think of it right now.

***note*** Can't believe cigar.com edited out "B/R/E/A/S/T" in when reference the turkey.
    Make it 16 people.. I'm coming to your house
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Turkey for sure. And this puppy won't be getting any cornbread, or rice, or sage stuffing. NO. Here, we stuff the turkey with "Oyster Dressing" .
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    I will be smoking a 14 lb on Thursday morning with hickory and as many cigars as I can stand! The wife handles everything else. She makes a killer cornbread dressing BTW. I will post pics
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    clearlysuspect:

Make it 16 people.. I'm coming to your house

Come on down brother! The more the merrier! I'm sure there will PLENTY of food to eat! I need someone to get boozed up with after dinner too! Bunch of squares who don't drink coming this year.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    going to my sisters and then we will pick my mom up from the nursing home to take to her house and she said this was the menu,; We are planning on celery stuffed with blue cheese/cream cheese, sweet gherkins, olives,Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, watergate salad,cranberry sauce, rolls, pecan pie, iced tea, coffee I thought about trying to make a choc meringue pie. , and when i get back home , adult beverges and a nice cigar
  • Options
    jj20030:
    going to my sisters and then we will pick my mom up from the nursing home to take to her house and she said this was the menu,; We are planning on celery stuffed with blue cheese/cream cheese, sweet gherkins, olives,Turkey, Ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, watergate salad,cranberry sauce, rolls, pecan pie, iced tea, coffee I thought about trying to make a choc meringue pie. , and when i get back home , adult beverges and a nice cigar
    Not the traditional fare I'm used to, but definately sounds tastey. Celery stuffed with blue cheese/cream cheese sounds interesting. Is that a mix of the 2 cheeses or one or the other?
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    My family and I will be having Muppet for Thanksgiving this year.
  • Options
    I'm gonna smoke a turkey b/r/e/a/s/t.... if I can keep the darned thing lit. Yuk, Yuk. Seriously, though, there won't be any need for a whole bird this year so a b/r/e/a/s/t will suffice along with mashed potatoes, green beans, and all the other usual stuff. Pumpkin pie, a snifter or three of Booker's and, time permitting, one of my last remaining ISOM's. That oughta do it.

. P.S. I can't believe this, I can type turkey **** but not turkey b/r/e/a/s/t without being censored. Amazing.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I'm gonna smoke a turkey b/r/e/a/s/t.... if I can keep the darned thing lit. Yuk, Yuk. Seriously, though, there won't be any need for a whole bird this year so a b/r/e/a/s/t will suffice along with mashed potatoes, green beans, and all the other usual stuff. Pumpkin pie, a snifter or three of Booker's and, time permitting, one of my last remaining ISOM's. That oughta do it.

. P.S. I can't believe this, I can type turkey **** but not turkey b/r/e/a/s/t without being censored. Amazing.
    I like to eat turkey ***, while doing the *** stroke.
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    jlmarta:

I like to eat turkey ***, while doing the *** stroke.
    Oh wow, you're right!
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I'm making/hosting Thanksgiving dinner for the first time in 8 years. There will be only a handful of us but lots of food. First, I'll fry a 20.93lbs. turkey. I'll inject each B/R/E/A/S/T with butter and garlic. Some potatoes will be fried up as well. Sweet potatoes will be sauted up in a pan with butter and some brown sugar. It gets a nice little crust on the edges. Green bean caserole (not my favorite but my parents like it), cranberries (this one from the cans. I got to be lazy on something). Two types of bread/rolls. A relish tray with carrots, green onions, radish, artichoke hearts, green peppers, dip. Of course there will be stuffing. Salad with homemade dressings (blue cheese, ranch and Italian). Desert will be pumpkin pie, almond cake and dark chocolate chip cookies.

After all of that I plan to sit back with a LP T52 and a cold beer. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

Rob
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Smoking a 14 lb bird and many cigars during the process. I leave the rest to my expert
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    Tofurkey? Puhleeeze! It's OK for vegetarians to eat turkey, as the domestic bird has been proven to be less intelligent than a turnip.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    Got the flu so I had to cancel plans to travel to family. So Ham AND Turkey (I'm a hamboy). Also stuffing, cranberries, seafood YUM.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the flu. That's a bummer anytime but especially on a holiday. Hope you're better soon.

So, here it is - only a little past noon and I've got my turkey **** in the marinade, got my smoker all set up and calibrated, got the wood cut for smoking....shoot, I'm ready!! I'll put the turkey **** on around 4:00 and it'll be ready in time for dinner. My child bride is a little under the weather do I'll be doing the rest of it a little later but she insists on doing her special green bean casserole herself. Guess I'm not trusted to do that one. Anyway, all is looking good at this point. Have a great day, guys.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Got a turkey **** going myself Marty, hit the smoker about 20 mins ago. Brined overnight, stuffed and orange in the cavity, injected with garlic butter right before throwing it on. The water tray has a mix of aromatics, rosemary, thyme, sage, onion, garlic, celery and parsley. Smoking over Apple wood. This should be a mighty tasty bird ****.
  • Options
    My bird came out even better than i had thought it would. The garlic,chive,and secret herbs compound butter under the skin really kicked it in