Home Ratings & Reviews

Undercrown

Tons of flavor, chocolate, coffee and a little sweetness. The burn was razor sharp, perfect draw with lots of smoke. Very similar to the liga Privada No.9, just a touch milder. Overall a fantastic smoke.

Comments

• MESKCMESKC Posts: 213 ✭✭
    I had one but did not care for it that much. I love the LP9. Maybe it just needed a little more rest. It was harsh all the way through. I would agree there was a ton of smoke. Pre light it smelled great. I will have to get another one and let it rest for a bit and see if it gets better.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    MESKC:
    I had one but did not care for it that much. I love the LP9. Maybe it just needed a little more rest. It was harsh all the way through. I would agree there was a ton of smoke. Pre light it smelled great. I will have to get another one and let it rest for a bit and see if it gets better.
    my brother picked some up at a drew estate event and he was told by JD they had only been shipped and arrived in the us 5 days prior. This was maybe 2 weeks ago so I would say they need some rest.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    To me, all of them I have smoked (2 robustos, a toro, and a torp) have tasted a bit wet and young. The potential, and components are all there for these to be a delicious, medium-full bodied line that sits well next to the Liga Privada blends. One thing that has me confused is that on a bunch of websites, these are listed as Liga Privada Undercrown. My understanding is that they are NOT Liga privada cigars (Liga Privada being blends created, and then spun off of blends created for, Saka or the other dudes at the top of the pile down at DE, while the Undercrown is the line made by those "under the crown", the subordinates, the rollers, and supervisors, and other factory folks, when they were told to stop smoking all of the LP stuff, since DE was having trouble keeping production numbers high enough to meet demand, plus the wrapper crop for the 9's was **** one season recently, which has caused an added strain on production)
  • MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Ccom had them on Sprintsale as Liga Undercrown.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Marker:
    Ccom had them on Sprintsale as Liga Undercrown.
    Yeah, and the have the FFP, L40, and Dirty Rat listed under the Liga Privada No. 9, when they are all actually Liga Serie Unicos.
    chemforever:
    MESKC:
    my brother picked some up at a drew estate event and he was told by JD they had only been shipped and arrived in the us 5 days prior. This was maybe 2 weeks ago so I would say they need some rest.
    smoking this beli with about a month rest. I haven't had any other lp besides the dirty rat but this is a nice med smoke, with good burn, draw and flavor at a lower cost.
    chemforever:
    chemforever:
    MESKC:
    smoking this beli with about a month rest. I haven't had any other lp besides the dirty rat but this is a nice med smoke, with good burn, draw and flavor at a lower cost.
    as I keep smoking it may be a bit stronger than med but definately not too much of a powerhouse.
  • jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I love the Undercrown!! Just had one yesterday!
  • fuentejpsfuentejps Posts: 345
    these are my fave new smoke of 2011. age will do them good but these are great rott. i agree these a very similiar to the liga 9.
  • blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Making me impatient to break into the 5 pack I bought. I haven't ever had an LP 9, not sure why since I LOVE a great maduro. Maybe I'll have to try to arrange a trade since I'm at max capacity. And no, my wife will NOT let me buy another (or Bigger) humidor!
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    blurr:
    Making me impatient to break into the 5 pack I bought. I haven't ever had an LP 9, not sure why since I LOVE a great maduro. Maybe I'll have to try to arrange a trade since I'm at max capacity. And no, my wife will NOT let me buy another (or Bigger) humidor!
    PM sent
  • jasonusa1jasonusa1 Posts: 729
    I got a couple of these from JHewey recently that look amazing. Looking forward to smoking my first this week.
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    jasonusa1:
    I got a couple of these from JHewey recently that look amazing. Looking forward to smoking my first this week.
    Had one last night thanks to RCY cigars. Flavor bomb all the way thru.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I've had 3 of these so far. Just like Jason says.. Flavor bomb. I have to get a few more of these dudes.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I've had 3 of these so far. Just like Jason says.. Flavor bomb. I have to get a few more of these dudes.
    Dire, just got mine from you yesterday, waiting patiently:-) thanks
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I think you'll like it when ya finally have it.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Easily one of my fav sticks of all time. Maybe top 5. Top 10 easy. Love everything about them. Can't wait till a I have a year or so on some of them.
  • CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    I need to try this one..Thinking about getting the Cigar.com Awards promotions that features these...sounds like a great stick....
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoked my first one of these a couple nights ago, started very nicely and good flavor, but the smoke! I've never seen such smoke from a cigar, it almost seemed like it was enhanced somehow. I mean, it was almost obnoxious! Anyone else had one do this? Maybe I got one with an overdried leaf in it, as it did get a little harsh. I'll definetely try another, just wondered if anyone else has had this experience with it?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    I smoked my first one of these a couple nights ago, started very nicely and good flavor, but the smoke! I've never seen such smoke from a cigar, it almost seemed like it was enhanced somehow. I mean, it was almost obnoxious! Anyone else had one do this? Maybe I got one with an overdried leaf in it, as it did get a little harsh. I'll definetely try another, just wondered if anyone else has had this experience with it?
    Every undercrown I have had has been a giant smoke producer. Not a garage smoke. Great for warding off mosquitos and harvesting honey.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jthanatos:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Every undercrown I have had has been a giant smoke producer. Not a garage smoke. Great for warding off mosquitos and harvesting honey.
    Yes! That's my favorite part ab undercrowns. I smoked one in a b&m and consequently everyone else in the shop did too!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    jthanatos:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Yes! That's my favorite part ab undercrowns. I smoked one in a b&m and consequently everyone else in the shop did too!
    I also feel the need to say, I have only had one bad UC, and I know I treat that stick poorly before smoking. I would give it another try.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Amos Umwhat:
    That seems to be the response I see often when Undercrowns are discussed. The out pouring of smoke seems to be common. I know firsthand.
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Amos Umwhat:
    That seems to be the response I see often when Undercrowns are discussed. The out pouring of smoke seems to be common. I know firsthand.
    Yep. I always have one with me. If I want a great smoke or need an emergency flare, well, I'm prepared.
  • Big TexBig Tex Posts: 142
    I love the Undercrown. I actually know a guy who says they aren't worth a damn!!! Blasphemy it tell ya!
  • musicman3musicman3 Posts: 622
    Undercrown is one of my favorites.
  • DynaguyDynaguy Posts: 51
    One of my very favorites. Usually, I enjoy full bodied cigars, but the Undercrown, while medium bodied, has tons of rich flavors.