Home Non Cigar Related
Options

NCAA & BCS = BS????

JDHJDH Posts: 2,107
I love college sports, but are these two organizations helping or hurting college sports?......"Student Athletes" rake in billions and gazillions of $'s for these organizations, but the "student athletes" aren't compensated for their labor, and only a very small percentage of the players "graduate" to professional sports. The "grown-ups" keep all the dough for themselves.....The pro teams get a free farm team, and the fans can't even have a legitimate tournament to decide championships.....I think it's a mess.....What about you?

Comments

• Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    Inside Sports had an airing on the BCS (BS) bowl games a couple of months ago, and was very interesting. Someone can set up a non profit bowl game, a minor school losses a half a million plus in expenses just to be there...travel and the fee just to appear...the community where the bowl resides gets nada, except tourist money (not enough to cover the cost of hosting, and you guessed it, the community tax dollars cover the rest)...but the CEO that puts no effort into it will get 300,000 plus (and get this, they have more than 1 set up since it isn't regulated)...so much for non profit...this is definitly BS...

On the other hand, to say that a college player should be compensated, they are to a certain extent. They get free education, free food, free room and board, luxery travel in some cases, and a shot at making a career out of sports. I know many won't graduate (educationally or to the pros), but you can't have the best of both worlds. College is their shot to make it in the pros or play the game they love while receiveing a free education...that is on them. They own that aspect, for they are getting something most can only rant about.

I know I rambled a lot but this is a big topic...there is many ways to view this. To sum it up...I too think it is BS (a mess) to see the money involved (and the faults), but the public has made it what it is. We want to see these big games/events. As long as the public is behind it, big money will play the system and ultimently control it.
  • Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    BCS is a crock I think a tourney would be awesome problem then would still be how do you choose your 12,24,36 whatever teams how do you decide who gets in then? I think it would still be SOOOO much better but there will always be bubble teams. As far as paying student athletes that one is still very gray to me unless it was a flat amount not based on certain wins or losses or school money. That way no college would have an edge or another just because they can promise more money.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    The scary thing about yesterday was that if Arkansas had won and we had a three way tie, the BCS formula would have been included in deciding the outcome of the SEC. Right now the conferences have all the power, and they don't want to let it go. And within the conferences there is somewhat of a playoff finale. Right now in the SEC, most teams just play for that title. There's enough gravitas just there. If they get in the BSC game, good.
  • Options
    If your labor enables your employer to "earn" billions of dollars, then you should be compensated with a fair share of the wealth you are creating. Personally, I believe that "student atheletes" who provide the BCS and the NCAA and their respective Universities with vast sums of wealth should be provided with more than just free room and board, and a scholarship (renewed anually) for the work they do. I think they should be paid according to the monies they generate, and they should not be required to attend classes while their sport is in season, or when they are required to train with their teamates. I also think that all medical care for sports related injuries acquired while engaging in their respective sport should be completely covered by the institution for which they are working.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    JDH:
    If your labor enables your employer to "earn" billions of dollars, then you should be compensated with a fair share of the wealth you are creating. Personally, I believe that "student atheletes" who provide the BCS and the NCAA and their respective Universities with vast sums of wealth should be provided with more than just free room and board, and a scholarship (renewed anually) for the work they do. I think they should be paid according to the monies they generate, and they should not be required to attend classes while their sport is in season, or when they are required to train with their teamates. I also think that all medical care for sports related injuries acquired while engaging in their respective sport should be completely covered by the institution for which they are working.
    This would immediately lead to young athletes going to the school that has the biggest money machine. The rich would get richer and the poor.....................
    I think the fan is the one hurt in all of sports. Have you priced an NFL game lately? Student athletes should be students first.
  • Options
    Young Atheletes DO go to the school that offers them the best "deal". We live in a capitalist society, but the NCAA and these Universities are operating a plantation economy, and because of the way the treat their "student atheletes", it really is.