Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Clash of the Amateur Reviews - Irish v. Robby - Sponsored by MTuccelli

That's right... Brett and I are going head-to-head to see what happens when two amateurs review the same sticks at the exact same time.

Mike approached Brett and I independently and offered to send us a selection of sticks to review. Obviously, we said yes (duh) and we will be underway Monday. That's the goal anyway.

2011-11-25_20-17-13_692

We will be posting our reviews at roughly the same time here in this thread. We will review the AKA Hybrid first, hopefully appearing here Monday. Then we'll cover the Rocky Patel Ocean Club, Alec Bradley Trilogy, Fonseca Habana Seleccion. We'll wrap this challenge up with the Alec Bradley Black Market.

Neither Brett nor myself have smoked any of these before, so it's an even playing field. Please chime in with feedback, jokes, one-liners, constructive criticism or even applause. I don't know what's gonna happen but I'd bet it's going to make for some fun reading!

I would like to thanks Mike for coming up with this great idea and "funding" this challenge as well. You never cease to amaze me with your generosity Bro. You're a great BORK and an even better person. I truly appreciate you my friend.

Comments

• Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Looking forward to this. Had a taste af the black market and it was a good smoke.
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Smoking a black market now. I will not give anything away. LET LOOSE THE KRAKEN!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    robbyras:
    That's right... Brett and I are going head-to-head to see what happens when two amateurs review the same sticks at the exact same time.

Mike approached Brett and I independently and offered to send us a selection of sticks to review. Obviously, we said yes (duh) and we will be underway Monday. That's the goal anyway.

We will be posting our reviews at roughly the same time here in this thread. We will review the AKA Hybrid first, hopefully appearing here Monday. Then we'll cover the Rocky Patel Ocean Club, Alec Bradley Trilogy, Fonseca Habana Seleccion. We'll wrap this challenge up with the Alec Bradley Black Market.

Neither Brett nor myself have smoked any of these before, so it's an even playing field. Please chime in with feedback, jokes, one-liners, constructive criticism or even applause. I don't know what's gonna happen but I'd bet it's going to make for some fun reading!

I would like to thanks Mike for coming up with this great idea and "funding" this challenge as well. You never cease to amaze me with your generosity Bro. You're a great BORK and an even better person. I truly appreciate you my friend.
    Perfectly stated Rob, and I too would like to send a GIGANTIC thank you to Mike as well! This was an absolutely amazing idea and I am honored to participate! Truly an exceptional human being, and just as important a very dear friend. Thank you and let the games begin!!!!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    Marker:
    LET LOOSE THE KRAKEN!
    HA! Man... I remember the old school Harry Hamlin version with the stop motion... great stuff!
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    robbyras:
    Marker:
    LET LOOSE THE KRAKEN!
    HA! Man... I remember the old school Harry Hamlin version with the stop motion... great stuff!
    I watched that show many, many times.
  • Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling the winner here is gonna be us the readers. Great idea Mike!
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Can't wait to see this.

• Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    next
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    will be intrested to see the 1st one ( aka hybrid), i didnt care for the aka respect i had and paid over 10 bucks
  • Options
    First review of the AKA Hybrid is complete, I have to type it up and Rob and I are coordinating on when we post it, but neither of us have nor will discuss the review until it is posted.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    90+ Irishman:
    First review of the AKA Hybrid is complete, I have to type it up and Rob and I are coordinating on when we post it, but neither of us have nor will discuss the review until it is posted.
    That keeps it interesting. Thanks guys for taking on this challenge
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    tease.. worse than my prom date.
  • Options
    MTuccelli:
    90+ Irishman:
    That keeps it interesting. Thanks guys for taking on this challenge
    Thank you for being such a great brother and friend and putting this together for us Mike!
  • Options
    Direwolf:
    tease.. worse than my prom date.
    Is this one of those "just the tip" situations Wolf?? BWAHAHA
  • Options
    CharlieCordusCharlieCordus Posts: 84 ✭✭
    Very cool idea, looking forward to the results!
  • Options
    Yeah, Brett is ahead of me... Between finishing up a project this weekend and decorating the house, I had ZERO time to smoke... but I'll fire it up tomorrow for sure... we'll up and running shortly...
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    Pure. Unadulterated. Brilliance.

Can't wait.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    This should be great
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I am looking forward to this for sure.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Ah the suspense of it all.............
  • Options
    Smoking my hybrid right now... and ooooooohhhh boy
  • Options
    and heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee we go....
  • Options
    AKA Hybrid - American KickAss Cigars
    Wrapper: True Hybrid - Cross-Breeding of Cameroon and 59 Cuban Seed Corojo
    Binder: Dominican Ligero
    Filler: Aged Dominican Piloto Cubano and Honduran Tobaccos
    Vitola: Advanced Brain Stimulation (Corona Gorda?) 6x44
    Accompanying Beverage: Water

I knew very little about this cigar before I smoked it. All the info above is from their website. The idea of the hybrid wrapper is pretty cool. I can't profess to know enough about the process or anything like that, so I won't. AKA started in 2010 and appears to have 2 different blends. The Hybrid Seed was grown specifically for AKA by the Eiroa Family of Camacho Cigars. The binder came from the Kelner Family who supplies Davidoff Tobaccos. The filler came from those two families as well. Just some interesting little side notes about AKA may or may not hold any relevance.

Prelight: It's a nice looking stick. The double band is a nice touch, but the font is a little hard to read. The wrapper gives of a LOT of aroma. Mainly a dank kind of smell, like wet wood or something. I don't really know what to expect, but given the prelight aroma, I'm expecting a lot of flavor. Clipped the tip with the Xi and found a clean draw that offered up some woody notes. Not ceder, but more of moist tree bark kind of smell. It smelled like a walk in the woods in a heavy fog.

2011-11-28_09-33-53_187

Beginning: So, I toasted the foot and fired it up with a single flame torch. No problems here. The first puff was bland. It really kind of tasted like ash. But I didn't let this get me down. Over the next few minutes some flavor notes presented themselves. The "walk in the woods" flavor was really the centerpiece with some sweetness in there as well. I noticed the flavors settled on the middle of my tongue, not the tip or the back. It was like listening to a song without a tweeter or bass. It was midrange all the way. I really got nothing through the nose at the beginning either. It was really a forgettable first inch or so.

2011-11-28_12-49-52_978

Middle: More of the same with some random explosions of dark chocolate and leather. Every 5 puffs or so I'd taste a completely different cigar. It was the same on the retrohale. Every so often I'd get a BLAST of flavor and strength. So much so that I'd have to cut the retrohale short and exhale through my mouth. This stick has some bi-polar tendencies. About halfway through I got some astringent/metallic tastes on the exhale. In a way this was a bit of a relief. I just don't think this stick was ready to be smoked.

2011-11-28_13-21-22_167

End: Nothing really changed. Some bland puffs followed by some EXCELLENT puffs followed by some painful puffs. I'm chalking this up to a stick that is just not ready to drive yet.

2011-11-28_13-33-44_994

Construction: Not bad. Obviously I had some issues with this cigar, but construction was not one of them. the smoke was nice and thick, the draw and burn were solid. I even like the look overall.

2011-11-28_12-34-45_682

Final Thoughts: So, I think it needed some rest. It had very brief moments of excellence. But they were far too few to say I enjoyed it. Now, if I had another and it was more consistent, then I'd completely change my tune.

2011-11-28_13-37-43_449

Scores:
    Smoke Time: 65 minutes
    Price point: N/A - but it looks like they are in the $8 range.
    Appearance: 9 - The wrapper has a nice color to it. The red and silver of the band pop nicely.
    Construction: 9 - No issues.
    Draw: 9 - No issues.
    Flavor: 7.5 - This is the hard part. If the flavors that I had glimpses of were more prominent, then we'd have a nice stick, but give the behavior or this one, I just don't know.
    Overall ? - I'm not gonna score it. If I were, I'd give this one a 7. But I just don't feel comfortable doing that considering the issues.

I can't wait to see what Brett (and maybe Mike) has to say about his experience. I think I got a stinker, but if he had a similar experience, maybe it's just a bad cigar. I really hope his worked out better.
  • Options
    American Kick Ass Hybrid –Toro Size (?)

Backstory and Construction:

So this cigar was created by the new boutique cigar company AKA and in their own words: “We basically wanted to have an American Themed Company that is for us Americans. So for everyone who is Proud to be an American, You Are American KickAss.”
    The filler and wrapper are all grown by the Kelner and Eiroa families on the farms of the Comacho Estate.
    The Wrapper is a hybrid of a Cameroon and 59 Cuban Seed Corojo aged 5 years prior to rolling.
    The binder is 4 year aged Ligero leaf grown in the Dominican by the same people that grow for Davidoff.
    The filler is a 4 and 5 Year Aged Dominican Piloto Cubano and Honduran leaves grown by both the Eiroa and Kelner families.

Appearance:
    The triple cap is gorgeous and the reddish brown wrapper has a good tooth to it with two dominant veins that each run about half the length of the stick. It has a slightly spongy feel to the stick however and I think that it may have been rolled a bit young due to it being pretty damp and fresh. The double band of red and gold is quite elegant and simple.

Nose:
    The nose on the wrapper is heavy of damp tobacco and some hay with a note of sweet clover honey to it. Off of the foot, a very young and damp tobacco is even stronger with a stronger honey as well.

Lick:
    Honestly I barely got any flavor at all off of the lick, but it was mildly tangy and very very light hay and oak.

Cut/Dry Draw:
    I cut the stick with my Xi cutter and it cut cleanly and easily. The dry draw had just a slight resistance to it, and the taste revealed more of the same from the nose off of the foot and wrapper.

1st Light and Third:

Light up time is 1:55pm. I toasted the foot with a single torch and it lit quickly and easily. It immediately starts to produce a large amount of smoke right off the bat, and an ample amount of spice and white pepper immediately presents itself along with some oak and a facet of “young” leather (the smell/taste of the brand new deerskin gloves etc). The hay on the dry draw isn’t evident at ALL but the honey sweetness is there, but is picked up on the retrohale and the finish, which is somewhat of a long finish. The ash holds tight but is a dark gray with black ringing around it. See picture:

It’s burning quicker than I expected having already gone through just under 1” in just under 10 minutes. It has however gone through a change already, by having a very pronounced and robust honey and cedar blending seamlessly. It I something that not only balances well but is also one of the more unique flavors I’ve had in a medium body cigar. Some half and half tasting cream joins in but is only evident at the very first hit of the smoke and on the finish but disappearing in between. The burn is running slightly but so far isn’t requiring a touch-up. The body is a light-ish medium and the flavor is medium+ but seems to be building nicely. The smoke is a light mouth feel but has a large production volume! The spice has really mellowed out and only comes out at the back of the tongue with the finish and having the pepper completely gone. The honey sweetness continues to grow for me with even more oak and cedar balancing in as well but adding a smoky quality to it almost as a flavor you would get from hickory chips being used in bbq smoking. The ash at the far point of the run has reached over 1.5” so I decide to ash it before I wear it… again like I normally do lol.

2nd Third:
    I use this opportunity to touch up the run and even out the burn. After I touch it up and ash it I take another draw on it and it has gone through another change and it has officially signaled the 2nd third. The oak has changed to a chewy and spicier robustness and the half and half cream has grown into a full on heavy sweet cream mixed with unfiltered clover honey. The previous flavors are still there but only as an afterthought. I’m able to pinpoint the exact sweet cream flavor this reminds me of, Coldstone Creamery (An Ice cream company in Colorado) Sweet Cream chewy ice cream. It is now the first thing to hit your palate and then evolves into a hickory and slight oak smokiness. I ash it again after another inch has burned away and at this time it ends the 2nd third.

Final Third:

The final third doesn’t go through a whole bunch of other changes and it finished out pretty darned well, but the major highlights and changes were the body getting stronger and getting chewier and smokier. The honey and cream is now only evident on the finish, with spice and pepper finally picking up at the end of the stick near the nub. By the time it gets down to the nub however, it has become a strong full body smoke and only becomes bitter at the very end where the tar builds up. Finish time is 3:15pm.

Final Thoughts:
    Total smoke time is 1 hour and 20 minutes. It was a smoke that really snuck up on me, and was truly enjoyable. I have to say that the past couple of weeks I have truly been spoiled with magnificent masterpiece cigars, but this one was something special considering that AKA only came out in 2010 and is this special right off the bat.

Final Rating: 4 out of 5 Tobacco Leaves
  • Options
    well those were certainly two different takes. Looks like Robby got a dud! Has anyone else had this stick??
  • Options
    Yeah, after reading what Brett had to say, I am convinced I had a dud...it was a struggle to get through it...
  • Options
    MTuccelliMTuccelli Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭
    Excellent review gents, since Rob seems to of received a bum stick I will pick up more and age them for a bit and then have you both revisit it. Maybe 4 to 6 months will do this stick well.
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    Nice reviews....
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Two somewhat different views on that stick, only goes to show how tastes vary.. Nice job guys.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    Two somewhat different views on that stick, only goes to show how tastes vary.. Nice job guys.
    I agree with the dud, however I think we both got the same "genre" of tastes... we both got sweet, both got damp wet taste/smell, and both got the leather. In that regard I think that what it "could" be with some time after it isn't so fresh and it said that it has the capability to deliver, now it just needs to consistently over time. Great read Rob, and like I said I think we both got a lot of the same, just one was a dud and the other not. Sorry you got a bad experience my friend, wished it had been different!