Home Cigar 101
Options

102 Things Newbs Should Know *ORIG POST UPDATED*

Comments

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    PastorJay said:
    @Bob_Luken
    i was going to put our portable AC in the room of my humi just to bring the temp down.
    OK, I was thinking you/we were talking about making a room into a walk-in humidor.
    But still, consider that Heat and AC both tend to dry out the air indoors. Gotta keep your desktops out of direct airflow. Plus, our basic desktop humidors are notorious for losing this battle, especially in winter.  
  • Options
    BigDaddyBigDaddy Posts: 124 ✭✭✭
    This was a GREAT read!  #100 - I personally like the label on.  I like to see what others are smoking, which sparks conversation. But I'm just a redneck from Texas. Lol
    thanks again for posting this. 
    Danny B
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BigDaddy said:
    This was a GREAT read!  #100 - I personally like the label on.  I like to see what others are smoking, which sparks conversation. But I'm just a redneck from Texas. Lol
    thanks again for posting this. 
    I agree, but I'll usually ask, whether their band is still on or not.  While it's fun to get their thoughts about a cigar, remember it doesn't mean much and shouldn't influence our opinion of that stick - at least not until we try one, and see how it matches our palate.  Funny thing (at least for me)... if someone says "These are great!" I want to hunt one down and smoke it, and if they hate it I want to stay away from it.  But unless I know that person's taste in cigars, I have to remind myself to stay objective.  Funny too, if they really like a stick and I ask what they're smoking and it turns out to be a stick I don't like (or visa versa) all of a sudden that person's got a crappy palate and doesn't know cigars.  :)
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    djbeenie:
    I have one to add, don't smoke a cigar halfway and let it go out and put it back in your humi. I have seen someone do this.
    AURGH!!! Made that mistake once with a herfador... opened it, the smell hit me, I immediately turned my head and vomited!

But I ordered a bigger herfador to replace it, so there WAS a happy ending. :-)

Damn after reading through this giant discussion you go and say Happy Ending. Now I can remember anything else. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since there has been alot of discussions about what a new person should try, the answer is, everything you can afford.

Samplers are probably the best way to help you decide what you want to have on hand. You will find quite a few that you will want to write down as, "gotta re-visit that one" or some that you will write down, "never again".

If you keep track of the ones you seem to like, then research what they are.
    What wrapper, binder and filler.
    Then you will start seeing a pattern of the leaf you tend to favor.
    Whether it is Connecticut wrapper, maduro, cameroon, etc.

Don't assume that because someone likes a specific cigar, that you will too. Each person has their own tastes and sometimes it takes a bit to narrow down what it is you like.

If you don't try a cigar, you will have no idea whether you like it or not.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    harrisjlharrisjl Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Excellent post and a great read.  I was going to start a thread asking how folks went about branching out from what they started with.  I've been smoking Macendudos and Ashtons for several years and will continue to do so.  Most of the questions I had about trying new brands was answered right here.  I ordered 2 10 packs of one type/brand and the first one I probably would not purchase again and the other is on the way.  Samplers look like the way to go.  I've tried one 10 pack sampler and was very pleased with the selection.  Seem like they are all pretty much bargain priced as well.....
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Setting up trades and things like Pay It Forward and Newbie Trading thread is another great way to get a chance to try new to you smokes and branch out a bit too. Check out the newbie trading thread in the Trades, Passes and Bombs section ;)

brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    harrisjlharrisjl Posts: 21 ✭✭
    Setting up trades and things like Pay It Forward and Newbie Trading thread is another great way to get a chance to try new to you smokes and branch out a bit too. Check out the newbie trading thread in the Trades, Passes and Bombs section ;)

brett
    THX for the advice will check that out....
  • Options
    84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    I recommend a 5'ER or 10'er from Bigshizza.  He'll do what he can to broaden your horizon.   (In the Trades, Passes, and Bombs section)  I recieved some things I was hesitant to pull the trigger on but seriously wanting to try.
  • Options
    RolanddeschainRolanddeschain Posts: 898 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizzz is the man with the sweet hookups.....when he says his 10er is worth the money, it's like a Papal Bull!
    Long days and pleasant nights,

Roland
  • Options
    LadyDieHardLadyDieHard Posts: 4
    Whew! That was a lot to absorb.  Thank you for posting this list. I'll do best to follow the tips. :)
    "Aficionado my ass...I just love to smoke cigars".  James Woods
  • Options
    arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2016
    Ok I am a newb but I think #76 needs update about the boveda packs you can place them on the cigars with out worry. And Maybe there should be something about not smoking on an empty stomach for someone not used to the nicotine. It can make you sick I learned this the hard way lol
  • Options
    AdamBuckAdamBuck Posts: 1
    Anyone else having trouble with getting the cigar.com folks on the phone. Ive tried all day last Friday, a few times this past weekend, and now a few times today, even messaged them on their website. I have received no reply to my messages, and their number just beeps and hangs up.
  • Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This should help: 

Sarah Stern | Quality Assurance Manager | CIGAR.com
    1911 Spillman Drive | Bethlehem, PA 18015
    PH 800-357-9800 x872 | FAX 877-464-2872
    sstern@CIGAR.com

Also 
    Andrew Dzikoski  andyd@cigar.com
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keep that crap outa this thread!
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    GaryThompsonGaryThompson Posts: 952 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So much to learn for a new guy... I need a smoke.
  • Options
    IndustMechIndustMech Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forum, Gary

I know, You're a big dog and I'm on the list.
    Let's eat, GrandMa.  /  Let's eat GrandMa.  --  Punctuation saves lives

It'll be fine once the swelling goes down.

• Options
    Cigar-20078924Cigar-20078924 Posts: 1
    #61 is actually incorrect as of relatively recently. Cuban cigars were illegal because of a trading embargo, but that embargo has been lifted, making products from Cuba legal to purchase.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2018
    #61 is actually incorrect as of relatively recently. Cuban cigars were illegal because of a trading embargo, but that embargo has been lifted, making products from Cuba legal to purchase.
    Well genius, had you looked at the date that the original list was made, you'd have seen that it was made way before the purchasing restrictions (NOT embargo) was relaxed. And there is no way to edit old posts.

The embargo has not been lifted.They have only relaxed the restrictions. So you are incorrect.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Bump
  • Options
    dawg65779dawg65779 Posts: 4
    Thank you Sniper for posting 
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forum math:
    5=8

:wink:

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    NorCalR1NorCalR1 Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Bumping for @Stoney0817

If you want to bomb me send it to Tony @0patience :D
    If you are a newbie I got Dem nachos....

• Options
    MunozSalMunozSal Posts: 4
    This was extremely helpful!! I just joined this forum today and I already learned so much thanks to this post!
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    @MunozSal   Please introduce yourself on the NEWBIE Welcoming Thread.   Welcome to the zoo.
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    Davela58Davela58 Posts: 1
    For what it's worth, our US Fed agency just stated:  That 2 cigars a day have nil negative effect on one's health" who knows, since they have been trying to kill us for years with "bad dietary advice", such as the food pyramid, which has essentially doubled our rates of obesity since it was foisted on us, with poor/little research in the 90's. If you inhale cigars all bets are off of course. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Citation, please, @Davela58.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

• Options
    Good info for a somewhat of a newbie, starting my collection and found this really helpful. Thank you for the time that was put into this!