Home Trades, Passes and Bombs
Options

Wait five years????

So Shaun and I have been going back and forth for a bit with trades...I got hit with this bomb and it is carrying a delayed fuse...Says I should wait 5 years before smoking....Ummmm, okay...Like that's going to happen.....

Comments

• Options
    TeegeTeege Posts: 660
    Maybe 5 years in dog years then...
  • Options
    lcpleellcpleel Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    makes them that much better, lol f it just smoke them!
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I wouldn't be afraid to smoke them now as I have smoked a few CCs with under a year on them. Just be weary that you are tasting a very young cigar and that it will only get better and I don't want smoking one of these to taint your thought of CCs if you aren't impressed. Realistically 1-2 years on these will be good, but rest them as long as possible. I would smoke the BBF first, but after that it is all on you!
  • Options
    Simple solution, send them to me..... I will " hold " them for you :$
  • Options
    spindriftspindrift Posts: 818 ✭✭
    AJGARLETT:
    That's why I stick around this forum...Such generous folks......
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I buy and put in the humi. can't let anything sit more than a couple weeks. WOW my 500th post. never posted on any forum this much
  • Options
    spindrift:
    AJGARLETT:
    That's why I stick around this forum...Such generous folks......
    Paul, the date you joined this forum is my birthday...this calls for a celebration! PS: Did your 2010s arrive yet?...mine are scheduled for a Thursday arrival
  • Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I swear I don't know how some of you post up so fast. I'm going to have to add a lot of fluff posts to litter this forum!
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I would be hard pressed to wait that long. What a great 5'er though. I would probably give them a year max and then fire em up.
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    No way five years, sorry. I get one to two boxes a year and I let them sit for 6 months before I start firing them up. The only reason I let them rest for six months is because of the trip from London. Granted I don't smoke them everyday, so I do have some that have been sitting well over a year or two. If you are a huge consumer of these kind of smokes and buy numerous boxes at a time I can see someone keeping a box over five years because they are rotating them. I'm no rich man and I'm taking it you are not either to be buying numerous boxes at a time to age. Smoke em Brother!! The Bolivar and the Partagas Series, those are some really good sticks.
  • Options
    Bucking W:
    No way five years, sorry. I get one to two boxes a year and I let them sit for 6 months before I start firing them up. The only reason I let them rest for six months is because of the trip from London. Granted I don't smoke them everyday, so I do have some that have been sitting well over a year or two. If you are a huge consumer of these kind of smokes and buy numerous boxes at a time I can see someone keeping a box over five years because they are rotating them. I'm no rich man and I'm taking it you are not either to be buying numerous boxes at a time to age. Smoke em Brother!! The Bolivar and the Partagas Series, those are some really good sticks.
    Any cuban smoker will tell you to rest them for a 3year minimum if not 5 years so the blend can settle down, mend together, and age. There is nothing wrong with smoking them now, but if you want them at their peak, wait 5 years and smoke them. There are always opportunities to get aged boxes as well if you want to smoke them immediately.
  • Options
    Wow...
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just bury them at the bottom of the humi, pretty soon you'll forget about them. Maybe
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    joshvoigt:
    Wow...
    x2 but add 2 e's,, WOWEE
  • Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    Very nice, those are the nice to get. Got hit with something of that caliber by lcpleel, DD and Bandyt09. Good thing with that is if you can hold out. You'll never be without a smoke, sort of :). Enjoy.....

• Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Don't bother saving singles, smoke them and enjoy them. People often have that reaction with Cubans, "save them for X amount of years?????" and think that is crazy. Where aging comes in is when you are dedicated and willing to build a collection of Cuban cigars based on the sole purpose of aging them long term for smoking. How I accomplish this, is I buy at least 2 boxes of the Cubans that I enjoy, this can be done by taking your time there is no rush...I have now built a collection that I have cigars to smoke "young" and a collection that I have that will age. When my smoking box gets 3/4 empty I buy another and leave my aging box alone, this all requires discipline of course. I actually age cigars as well as a tool to learn and maintain self discipline as silly as that sounds...I have had cigars ROTT that smoke great, I have had 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, Pre embargo cubans and I can assure you as great as a 1, 2, 3, 4 year old cuban is once they get in to that 5+ years of age with the right cigar you will not believe the drastic difference in how good the aged cigars are, in fact it is a completely surreal and hobby changing experience...
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    Don't bother saving singles, smoke them and enjoy them. People often have that reaction with Cubans, "save them for X amount of years?????" and think that is crazy. Where aging comes in is when you are dedicated and willing to build a collection of Cuban cigars based on the sole purpose of aging them long term for smoking. How I accomplish this, is I buy at least 2 boxes of the Cubans that I enjoy, this can be done by taking your time there is no rush...I have now built a collection that I have cigars to smoke "young" and a collection that I have that will age. When my smoking box gets 3/4 empty I buy another and leave my aging box alone, this all requires discipline of course. I actually age cigars as well as a tool to learn and maintain self discipline as silly as that sounds...I have had cigars ROTT that smoke great, I have had 2, 3, 5, 10, 20, Pre embargo cubans and I can assure you as great as a 1, 2, 3, 4 year old cuban is once they get in to that 5+ years of age with the right cigar you will not believe the drastic difference in how good the aged cigars are, in fact it is a completely surreal and hobby changing experience...
    Well said DD. I probably came off harsh Paul when I said to wait 5 years, but I was trying to relay when the maximum potential of the cigar, or so, would occur. These are pretty fresh to me as I just got them 2 weeks ago so they do need a month or 2 of rest and then they should be good. It would be great if you could hold them for 5years, but I didn't give you multiples of cigars so testing them against aging times would be impossible(maybe next time :) )I know I wouldn't be able to and I cannot keep my hands off of my current cuban stash, so no worries smoking them. Enjoy the smokes and smoke away brother!
  • Options
    Could you imagine holding onto a cigar for 5 years and smoking it with a bad experience? LOL
  • Options
    lcpleel:
    Could you imagine holding onto a cigar for 5 years and smoking it with a bad experience? LOL
    Yes...a Gurk, Disgusto Reyes, Victor Sinny...lol, to name a few :) But yes, I get your point, just me being a smart az
  • Options
    danielruasdanielruas Posts: 778
    If you can't wait I'll send you 5 sticks you can smoke right now and I'll take those and wait...
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    lcpleel:
    Yes...a Gurk, Disgusto Reyes, Victor Sinny...lol, to name a few :) But yes, I get your point, just me being a smart az
    hey hey hey! I have some old legends thats smoking great!. Ive never bought any vitor reyes before. lol
  • Options
    Thanx for all of the advice, but I have only had one that I actually enjoyed and as far as the price point, I will stick with Nics (for all I know the rest were fakes)...That said, these will sit for a bit before being sacrificed...Probably about a year, I am in no rush...Oh,and thanx again Shaun....
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lcpleel:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    lcpleel:
    hey hey hey! I have some old legends thats smoking great!. Ive never bought any vitor reyes before. lol
    that will not happen with black and molds,lmao
  • Options
    jj20030:
    lcpleel:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    lcpleel:
    that will not happen with black and molds,lmao
    Jimmy leave my Black&molds alone. Lol
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    The other thing to keep in mind here, these cigars could be from boxes with multi year box dates already....I have numerous boxes that I have bought with 3, 4 or 5 years+ already on them...box dates on these?
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    The other thing to keep in mind here, these cigars could be from boxes with multi year box dates already....I have numerous boxes that I have bought with 3, 4 or 5 years+ already on them...box dates on these?
    I could be wrong, but I believe that Shaun got these as part of some samplers and not in boxes...Again, I could be mistaken...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Direwolf:
    I buy and put in the humi. can't let anything sit more than a couple weeks.
    man... you really should. you will enjoy seeing how age changes cigars. its fun and interesting.
    i recommend getting a humidor specifically for aging. i have 3 right now just for that actually. its worth it.
    if it is because you have a hard time "forgetting about them" then that just means that you dont buy it fast enough.
    ha!
    Direwolf:
    WOW my 500th post. never posted on any forum this much
    im not even close to my post count in this forum if i add all the posts on all the other forums i have ever belonged to combined.
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    I don't have them DD, I emailed my source and the boxes were already gone. I am assuming from either 2010 or 2011 as they are pretty common cigars and they probably go through their stuff rather quickly. Don't hesitate to smoke these Paul when you are ready, I have more ready for you whenever you want/need them.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Direwolf:
    I buy and put in the humi. can't let anything sit more than a couple weeks.
    man... you really should. you will enjoy seeing how age changes cigars. its fun and interesting.
    i recommend getting a humidor specifically for aging. i have 3 right now just for that actually. its worth it.
    if it is because you have a hard time "forgetting about them" then that just means that you dont buy it fast enough.
    ha!
    Direwolf:
    WOW my 500th post. never posted on any forum this much
    im not even close to my post count in this forum if i add all the posts on all the other forums i have ever belonged to combined.
    Yeah 10k is on another level...I have 1100 here, 6200 on the sister, 35 on my cuban source, and like 150 on the original...even a PW like me can only go so fast!
  • Options
    DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    I got a 20 count for Christmas that's seasoning right now. I'm gonna add the sticks that I have more than one of. As for the posting...