Home Non Cigar Related
Options

the F-35B

jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
This video is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia . These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period. The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates. That was an intentional part of the sea trials. The USS Wasp is an amphibious assault ship designed to embark a Marine Expeditionary Unit. It is capable of simultaneously supporting rotary and fixed wing STOVL aircraft and amphibious landing craft operations. For this test deployment the USS Wasp was outfitted with special instrumentation to support and measure the unique operating environment as the F-35B conducted short takeoffs and vertical landings. No catapult...... No hook ............ The shape and scope of warfare video CLICKHERE

Comments

• Options
    Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    jj20030:
    This video is fresh (for the public). It was made just six weeks ago in the Atlantic, just off Newport News (Hampton Roads), Virginia . These are the latest sea trials of the F-35B on the USS Wasp. They were very successful, with 74 VL's and STO's in a three week period. The media and the program critics had predicted that we would burn holes in the deck and wash sailors overboard. Neither of which happened. You will notice a sailor standing on the bow of the ship as the jet rotates. That was an intentional part of the sea trials. The USS Wasp is an amphibious assault ship designed to embark a Marine Expeditionary Unit. It is capable of simultaneously supporting rotary and fixed wing STOVL aircraft and amphibious landing craft operations. For this test deployment the USS Wasp was outfitted with special instrumentation to support and measure the unique operating environment as the F-35B conducted short takeoffs and vertical landings. No catapult...... No hook ............ The shape and scope of warfare video CLICKHERE
    I few years back I was a BFM for PMA 205 at NAVAIR. We bought training devices for the Navy/Marine Corps. The person I directly worked with for the Marine Corp purchases was LtCol Schenk. I had heard he was a harrier pilot and asked him if he was going to transistion to the F-35 when they came out and he said he was. A few months ago I read an article that stated that he was was testing the F-35s on an L deck. Looks like he's the pilot for this video. It's neat to see how small the Navy is if you've been in awhile.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely outstanding aircraft! I was a PC for the F/A-18 when I was stationed at NAS Lemoore. We were a training squadron so I didn't get much boat time, but absolutely loved the occasional deployment when my assignment was called. I was discharged in '91 and it amazes me how much modern combat machinery has progressed since then. 4-O on the video, my friend.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    "I feel the need, the need for speed!" Great video

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    video is pretty cool. Nice idea for aircraft, would really help on missions or covert missions.