Home General Discussion

Tri-Flame Lighters

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
Some of you think they are overkill and you'd be right but my calibri tri flame is no longer working and I was wondering if anyone knows of a good one to get? It saddens me it really does since I love the look of it but it just doesn't want to give a flame. I've tried to purge it and then fill it and it's just hopeless...

Comments

• vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I loved my Nibo, until someone broke into my car and stole it. Can't beat a tripple flame with a punch cutter for $10
  • zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I don't presently have a tri-flame. Lighters just don't hold up for me for some reason. I just got a Xicar Plunge this week, it's a single but it has a sight glass so I can actually see if it's still got fuel in it.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    I wish I could recommend one, Feebs. I bought a Xikar triple, last summer, but it quit working on me a couple months ago. Right now, I'm using a freebie single-torch that came with an order. I've got no complaints with it. I know I can send the Xikar in and all that, but, by god, I shouldn't be having to send an $85 lighter in after just 6 months of use.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    if you have a Xikar triple they should take it back. dont they have a lifetime warranty? i know my single does.

personally i dont like the triple. lights too quick. they are too hot for me. I cant tame them.

but if you like yours i have a suggestion.
    bleed it all out. no fuel at all. adjust it so the flame would be all the way up. strike it as if it were being lit. nothing should happen at this point. then get a can of compressed air and force that through the lighter from the inlet valve on it. in theory it will blow through all the stuff gunking it up. If not... well, no loss because it doesnt work as is.

if it doesnt work, Xikar is currently offering a deal where you turn in your old Colibri and ger X% off of a new Xikar.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    A LT that I work with has the Xikar triple flame. That thing is hard core!
  • rusiriusrusirius Posts: 565 ✭✭
    I have both a triple and a single... I find myself switching between the two pretty often. Lately though I've found myself using both when neccesary...

Yeah I know, that sounds odd, but lemme explain...

I find the triple is great for the initial light, especially on the large ring gauge stuff. It always seems to get the job done better and more evenly than a single...

On the other hand, if I come across a stick that requires a few corrective burns, the single has the precision to do things right.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rusirius:
    I have both a triple and a single... I find myself switching between the two pretty often. Lately though I've found myself using both when neccesary...

Yeah I know, that sounds odd, but lemme explain...

I find the triple is great for the initial light, especially on the large ring gauge stuff. It always seems to get the job done better and more evenly than a single...

On the other hand, if I come across a stick that requires a few corrective burns, the single has the precision to do things right.
    exactly.. I do the same thing. Kuzi, thanks for that tidbit. I found a perdamo tri flame that got good reviews, couldn't find a xikar. I should search more for it. I just ordered a Xi2 cutter and I have a punch from them.. might as well get a lighter... lol
    just found it. Kuzi do you just send in your old lighter to them, or do you have to purchase the new one with them.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i think you send it to them. i have yet to have a problem with one so im not 100%. give them a call and find out.
  • madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Depends on where you bought it. SOme places you can just take it back to them and they'll swap it out for you right there. Others you have to send it off to Xikar. Either way they'll fix it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    thanks guys
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

kuzi16:
    if you have a Xikar triple they should take it back. dont they have a lifetime warranty? i know my single does.

personally i dont like the triple. lights too quick. they are too hot for me. I cant tame them.

but if you like yours i have a suggestion.
    bleed it all out. no fuel at all. adjust it so the flame would be all the way up. strike it as if it were being lit. nothing should happen at this point. then get a can of compressed air and force that through the lighter from the inlet valve on it. in theory it will blow through all the stuff gunking it up. If not... well, no loss because it doesnt work as is.

if it doesnt work, Xikar is currently offering a deal where you turn in your old Colibri and ger X% off of a new Xikar.

I don't even think you'd need to send it in to get it replaced.  when my xikar stopped lighting i just took it to the local smoke shop and set it on the counter.  they picked it up, fiddled with it for a few minutes, and then just pulled a brand new one out of the display case and set it down in front of me.

• bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭

Little late with that, aren't I.

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    Heh. No worries. It's useful knowledge. (And welcome.)