Home Cigar 101

Is it just me???

JKTexJKTex Posts: 92
I was finally going to try a RP Old World Reserve this weekend and ended up completely bummed.

They've been in my humi for about a month if not just a little longer, in the bottom which stays at 67%-69%.  I was excited because I don't usually has the time to smoke a Toro and I've got a bunch.

I punched it as I always do and noticed it seems a little brittle but was careful as always she it punched fine.  I no sooner got it to my mouth and there was a piece of wrapper hanging loose below the cap.  So, I tried to carefully get that loose piece off and before I knew it, the whole wrapper was falling off.  It was as if the wrapper wasn't secured at all and as soon as one part came loose, there was nothing to keep it in tact.

I tried to smoke it anyway but that was a bust.  I couldn't get a draw at all as it was "leaking" out one side. 

These have all been resting and only 1 time did I carefully rotate them around.  And these also have the paper wrapper on the lower half.

Is it even possible to have 1 cigar that was just that bad to being with or did I do something that caused some issue that just hasn't shown up in others; including some that haven't been in there near as long?

I am surprised at the OWR in that they are box pressed, but are more of a flat box that square box and really tight.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

Comments

• madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like the torcedor just didn't use enough pectin on the cap. It happens. instead of trying to pick that loose piece of wrapper off next time use some saliva to try and make it stick back down. Either lick it or wet your finger and gingerly massage it back into place. OR you can buy some pectin and fix it yourself. I typically keep pestin on hand myself. You can buy it at the tobacconist or anywhere that canning supplies are sold.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I am sorry to hear about your smoke. I smoked a OWR couple of months ago, it was the Maduro. I did not have any of the issues you seemed to have. In fact, it was a great smoke and I loved every bit of it. From the problems you described, it sounds like your cigar was dry. What kind of hydrometer do you use? In any case, I would definitley try the OWR again.

"Long ashes my friends."

• smbrinksmbrink Posts: 406
    I smoked an OWR not too long ago and had some problems with it too, although mine were burn problems.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    got a OWR from Jet thats in the smoking humi for a very soon try ...have not had one yet...
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    madurofan:
    Either lick it or wet your finger and gingerly massage it back into place.
    Funny, my 8th-grade girlfriend said the same thing.
  • dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    The one from last week? Or do you mean when YOU were in 8th grade?
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Probably both ...
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947

madurofan:
    dutyje:
    urbino:
    madurofan:
    Probably both ...

oohh chiiitttt thats funny

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Urbi.. Sick. A little funny, but sick
  • dep691dep691 Posts: 311

urbino:
    madurofan:

LMAO

• urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    kaspera79:
    Me?! I was just reminiscing about the old days. Doody and Maddy are the ones who steered things toward Thailand.
  • Dude LoveDude Love Posts: 315
    They love you long time?
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    Me?! I was just reminiscing about the old days. Doody and Maddy are the ones who steered things toward Thailand.
    THis coming from a man who chooses his vacations based on the age of consent laws in that particular country.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    madurofan:
    urbino:
    kaspera79:
    THis coming from a man who chooses his vacations based on the age of consent laws in that particular country.
    oh, lol.. that's just too funny!