Home General Discussion
Options

How safe is travel to the DR

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Looking at a possible trip to the Dominican republic in the future, but am weary been reading up and not sure it's a good place to take the family.

Comments

• Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    All inclusive no problems. Except i was raped at the airport. Not an issue at all bro.
  • Options
    slickricslickric Posts: 705
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    About how much could I expect to pay for A all inclusive trip to that area? I've been curious about this for A while.
  • Options
    This trip is all inclusive. We got a pick of 4 places this being one. It's one of those time share deals,spend 90 mins listening to their pitch. But for 500$ we get a week in the Caribbean and 2 different 4 day 3night trips in the US, with Las Vegas being one of the 4 US destinations.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    I have gone many times All Inclusives and Condos...the DR is a very safe place to be with your family. I rent vehicles and travel freely...Common sense of course is needed but you will not find friendlier people...
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Rhamlin:
    This trip is all inclusive. We got a pick of 4 places this being one. It's one of those time share deals,spend 90 mins listening to their pitch. But for 500$ we get a week in the Caribbean and 2 different 4 day 3night trips in the US, with Las Vegas being one of the 4 US destinations.
    With flights or just lodging?
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    I'm certainly no expert, but it's the Haiti side that would concern me.
  • Options
    scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    From what I know DR is rather safe. It is the places below Mexico that can be a problem. DR, PR, the Bahamas are rather safe. Not completely sure about Haiti though
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    cooch36:
    All inclusive no problems. Except i was raped at the airport. Not an issue at all bro.
    I heard airport rapings were up this year.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Rhamlin:
    With flights or just lodging?
    Just lodging, food, drink and activities.
  • Options
    stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Diamondog:
    I have gone many times All Inclusives and Condos...the DR is a very safe place to be with your family. I rent vehicles and travel freely...Common sense of course is needed but you will not find friendlier people...
    Should Probably note that driving there is a f**king sport. There are no road laws.

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:
    Should Probably note that driving there is a f**king sport. There are no road laws.

same road conditions in Nicaragua. i think i saw one stop sign in Estali.
  • Options
    Katt68Katt68 Posts: 124
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

I don't think I saw ANY!!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Katt68:
    kuzi16:
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

I don't think I saw ANY!!!
    biggest car with the loudest horn has the right of way.

katt, did you stay at Hotel Los Arcos? cos if you did then you were on the same road as the stop sign.
    and the road the My Father Factory is on has a red light or two.
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Driving is not an issue if you pay attention and use common sense...
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    stephen_hannibal:
    Diamondog:

One of the cars i was in while in the DR driven by Don Lucas got hit from the rear while we were waiting in traffic he was pissed but no need to get out and check what was he going to do if there was damage no laws, police , insurance.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    I went to the DR two years ago... It was super nice and safe, although, it took a night to get used to armed guards roaming the beach at night.
  • Options
    Maybe we'll just go to St Marteens, I'll have to read up a bit more on it.