Home Cigar 101
Options

Cat litter

y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
So can I really use unscented cat litter, like arm and hammer, in my coolidor in place of humidification beads, and they will work just as good?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    So can I really use unscented cat litter, like arm and hammer, in my coolidor in place of humidification beads, and they will work just as good?
    no

there is a very specific litter that must be used.
    it needs to be unscented and be just the silica beads or "pearls"
    not only that, but it needs to be "trained" to stay at a specific RH. it isnt hard to do. the difficult part is finding the correct litter and getting over the fact that you humidify your humidor with something that a cat is supposed to *** on.
  • Options
    Gotcha. Guess I'll be ordering from Heartfelt. Feel they're a little steep in price ($10.95 shipping!), but I want to get his coolidor going. Would order Conservagel, but their website's security certificate's expired and if that's the case I shant be putting my credit card number on there.
  • Options
    I had the same concern regarding the site certificate do I called and places the order on the phone. Dueled was real nice. Fast shipping. Great product.
  • Options
    gio164gio164 Posts: 180
    jasonusa1:
    I had the same concern regarding the site certificate do I called and places the order on the phone. Dueled was real nice. Fast shipping. Great product.
    I did the same, very happy with conservagel beeds.
  • Options
    gio164:
    jasonusa1:
    Shop one the telephone and not the interwebs...? Strange concept to Pascoe.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    anyone have a link to a specific kind of litter that can be used safely/effectively?

I'm not inclined to go "cheap" to protect my stash, but if there are safe/reliable alternatives out there, well, then..................money is tight these days.

• Options
    the stuff ive seen used is Exquisicat Pearl (the all white stuff, not the one with blue)
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    I was looking for KL to use the other day and looked for hours. As much as I would like to see if it works and how well, I am just going to wait till I get paid and make a purchase from HeartFelt. I know their quality and I know their customer service. It doesn't hurt that they have made donations to my cause in the past! Here's a necrotic Link for you. Also here is a link to a different brand for you. I couldn't find the exquisicat without the blue.
  • Options
    DSWarmack:
    I was looking for KL to use the other day and looked for hours. As much as I would like to see if it works and how well, I am just going to wait till I get paid and make a purchase from HeartFelt. I know their quality and I know their customer service. It doesn't hurt that they have made donations to my cause in the past!
    I hear ya.....I have bought from Heartfelt several times as well.
    But, thinking about a BIG coolidor........will need several pounds of beads........we're talking $70+ in savings..................so I have to consider it............but only if the KL is truly 2-way, reliable at 65-70rh, etc.
    Hoping a BOTL here has some experiences and is willing to share them.

• Options
    Oh I am the cheapest SOB out there, trust me I get it!
  • Options
    I don't have a link because it's not on their website, but I bought my beads at Target. It was around $10 for a huge jug of it - more than enough to last several lifetimes. I just made sure the back of the package said "silica gel" and it said it was unscented. I initially bought the jug about 3 years ago, and my humidors have been going strong ever since. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. Every now and then I see the humidity is dropping, so I add some water and it's all good.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    I don't have a link because it's not on their website, but I bought my beads at Target. It was around $10 for a huge jug of it - more than enough to last several lifetimes. I just made sure the back of the package said "silica gel" and it said it was unscented. I initially bought the jug about 3 years ago, and my humidors have been going strong ever since. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm a believer. Every now and then I see the humidity is dropping, so I add some water and it's all good.
    Did it , or does it have "blue" crystals in it?
    From what I have found online (PetSmart) - the "odor free" silica KL from Exsquisicat has green cyrstal in there as well - even though it says "unscented"???

Guess I'd just have to pull those out???

Gonna go to my local PetSmart and check it out
  • Options
    Offhand, I can't remember the color. I opened up the container before I bought it, and it didn't smell like anything so I just went with it. I also noticed that Target was cheaper than Petco/Petsmart, which is why I bought it there.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    Offhand, I can't remember the color. I opened up the container before I bought it, and it didn't smell like anything so I just went with it. I also noticed that Target was cheaper than Petco/Petsmart, which is why I bought it there.
    but it did have some additoioal colored crystal in there?
    or, was the entire silica KL "clear"?
    (sorry for the 101 questions)

• Options
    I've been using the Exqusicat Fragrance Free KL for about 6 months. The stuff works great. Both of my humidors sit dead on 68% and will NOT be going back to beads.
  • Options
    tincup703:
    I've been using the Exqusicat Fragrance Free KL for about 6 months. The stuff works great. Both of my humidors sit dead on 68% and will NOT be going back to beads.
    Same question for you then tincup
    Does the Exqusicat KL you use have any colored crystals in there at all?
    If it does, did you simply not use those colored crystals?
    If not - where did you find it? cause all I can find is "unscented" that has colored crystals in there as well - online at least.
    thanks
  • Options
    KriegerKrieger Posts: 337
    the stuff i use from Walmart is called Mimi Litter. 4lb bag for like $4. No scent, small blue crystals scattered in there randomly. That and a pair of stockings and im good to go. my coolerdor is between 66 and 67% at all times.
  • Options
    KingoftheCove:
    tincup703:
    If not - where did you find it? cause all I can find is "unscented" that has colored crystals in there as well - online at least.
    thanks
    The stuff I have has small blue-green crystals mixed in with the clear ones, which I left in. I charge the KL with DW like you do regular beads. I bought it in a clear plastic 8 pound "jug" at Petsmart for around 12-13 bucks.
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    gio164:
    jasonusa1:
    I had a baaaaaaddddd experience with these people. They sent the wrong beads, and won't reply to any attempt to contact them....so I'm stuck with 2lbs of worthless beads and $$$$$ lost.
  • Options
    big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Great thread, I'm also going the kitty litter route for my first coolidor
  • Options
    CvilleE:
    y2pascoe:
    gio164:
    jasonusa1:
    I had a baaaaaaddddd experience with these people. They sent the wrong beads, and won't reply to any attempt to contact them....so I'm stuck with 2lbs of worthless beads and $$$$$ lost.
    Heartfelt? I can't believe it. They've (David the President) has always been extremely helpful, even when I just have a question. Did you try talking with him?
  • Options
    CvilleECvilleE Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭
    DSWarmack:
    CvilleE:
    y2pascoe:
    gio164:
    jasonusa1:
    Heartfelt? I can't believe it. They've (David the President) has always been extremely helpful, even when I just have a question. Did you try talking with him?
    This was Conservagel beads...I should have paid the extra for the real thing....
  • Options
    tincup703:
    KingoftheCove:
    tincup703:
    thanks
    The stuff I have has small blue-green crystals mixed in with the clear ones, which I left in. I charge the KL with DW like you do regular beads. I bought it in a clear plastic 8 pound "jug" at Petsmart for around 12-13 bucks.
    this may be a different/newer product put out by the same company. in the original Exquisicat the colored ones were scented. you could take out the colored beads and it would still have residual smell.
    long story short... they need to have no scent.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    tincup703:
    KingoftheCove:
    tincup703:
    thanks
    this may be a different/newer product put out by the same company. in the original Exquisicat the colored ones were scented. you could take out the colored beads and it would still have residual smell.
    long story short... they need to have no scent.
    that's what I'm concerned about - what in the heck are those colored beads in there for!!??
    I'll have to go to petsmart and ask them to open a jug, and smell for myself.....actually take my wife......my sense of smell is damaged.

!
  • Options
    DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    Cat liter, cigars....cringe....
  • Options
    Diamondog:
    I used to feel that way as well.........but the more I research this......well

I stumbled into a blog on another cigar site - guy had some close-up pics of various KL and beads, etc.........those pics and numerous testimonials has me re-thinking this.
    Then come to discover that most all this silica comes from the same few sources.............either smooth/round (beads) or rough edges (KL).................only caveat is you have to buy LOTS of it (can you say cargo shipping container!) to buy direct.
    Turns out rough edged silica might actually be BETTER at maintaining RH than round beads, according to some......and I'll be asking an engineer friend of mine to confirm this.
    Think I'll be giving KL a try for the coolidor............

• Options
    RCY_CigarsRCY_Cigars Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Diamondog:
    I used to feel that way as well.........but the more I research this......well

I stumbled into a blog on another cigar site - guy had some close-up pics of various KL and beads, etc.........those pics and numerous testimonials has me re-thinking this.
    Then come to discover that most all this silica comes from the same few sources.............either smooth/round (beads) or rough edges (KL).................only caveat is you have to buy LOTS of it (can you say cargo shipping container!) to buy direct.
    Turns out rough edged silica might actually be BETTER at maintaining RH than round beads, according to some......and I'll be asking an engineer friend of mine to confirm this.
    Think I'll be giving KL a try for the coolidor............

Excuse me, don't mean to jack your thread. Tincup, can you check out your PM's.

Thanks guys...

• Options
    KingoftheCove:
    Unthought_Known:

I'll have to check when I get home, but my recollection is that there are some colored beads in there. If you put them in front of my nose and blindfold me though, I won't know they're there. They're as unscented as the clear ones, and they've kept my coolerdor, bookshelf humidor and desktop humidors running.
  • Options
    Unthought_Known:
    KingoftheCove:
    Unthought_Known:

I'll have to check when I get home, but my recollection is that there are some colored beads in there. If you put them in front of my nose and blindfold me though, I won't know they're there. They're as unscented as the clear ones, and they've kept my coolerdor, bookshelf humidor and desktop humidors running.
    thanks!

• Options
    I went to KL about 2 weeks ago and let the humidor condition with it after I pulled all my cigars out. It's been holding at 69-70% since.