Home Cigar 101

humi inside of a coolidor?

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
I know this is probably, well it is, a dumb question, but here goes:
Seriously thinking about setting up a big coolidor (the 165qt Maxcold Igloo cooler).
Two of my humis could actually fit in there, and I was thinking of setting up that way until I need to be more efficient with the space.

1) Will this harm a humi in any way (ie 68% rh rusting the hinges, etc.)?
2) Would it be counterproductive - having a closed humi inside another humi?
3) Would it be better to leave the lids off the humis, and then set them in the cooler?
or
4) That's a dumba$$ idea King, don't put a humi in a humi...........

Comments

• MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    1. Hinges are usually brass, wouldn't think it would be a problem.
    2. Counterproductive... closed humi? Humis ty to maintain humidity seperate from surrounding air
    3. Leave lids open, or grab cigar boxes from local b&m and put cigars in them and keep humis for high end or for drying or for prep to smoke.
    4. I have that cooler and it's awesome, thinking of getting another!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    yeah - I was thinking of leaving the lids open - then I'd take out the bead tube of course.
    But, if I left the lids closed, with the bead tube still in the humi - seems like I'd be good to go?
    Think you have the right idea though.....keep my two bigger wood humis separate, and out of the coolidor.

Now I'm just debating if I want to go fancy, and build a frame for vertical orientation of the cooler, but that's gonna mean I have to redo the hinges (the weak point of these coolers).....and, it won't hold as much once I start to get it full.....hmmm...........much harder to move it around as well............think I'll leave in horizontal orientation.

• blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    I actually read a website or blog a few months back where the guy did this with all humis, except he made tupperdors with all humis inside them. He kept the humidith constant in the tupperdor with beads, humis closed up inside, and no humidification inside humis, with the condition that the humis and cigars where stabilized at 68rh before entering the tupperdors. His argument which I agree with was that humis only lose or exchange air with the respective ambient environment, so if it can only exchange air with the perfectly RH controlled tupperdor environment, well those humis will be stabilized at the same RH. The benefit to this should be obvious, No humidifiers inside the humidors, so no potential hot spots for high RH, no potential wet humidifiers to grow mold, and no worrying about smokesclose to humidifiers soaking up excess water like a wet sponge. I think this is a brilliant way to store your cigars, if you have the room and don't care that it doesn't look too snazzy. I haven't tried this by the way but I can't in the least argue with the theory behind it. If you search yahoo images for tupperdor I believe that's where I encountered this site.
    blurr:
    I actually read a website or blog a few months back where the guy did this with all humis, except he made tupperdors with all humis inside them. He kept the humidith constant in the tupperdor with beads, humis closed up inside, and no humidification inside humis, with the condition that the humis and cigars where stabilized at 68rh before entering the tupperdors. His argument which I agree with was that humis only lose or exchange air with the respective ambient environment, so if it can only exchange air with the perfectly RH controlled tupperdor environment, well those humis will be stabilized at the same RH. The benefit to this should be obvious, No humidifiers inside the humidors, so no potential hot spots for high RH, no potential wet humidifiers to grow mold, and no worrying about smokesclose to humidifiers soaking up excess water like a wet sponge. I think this is a brilliant way to store your cigars, if you have the room and don't care that it doesn't look too snazzy. I haven't tried this by the way but I can't in the least argue with the theory behind it. If you search yahoo images for tupperdor I believe that's where I encountered this site.
    Freaking brilliant! Now I'm inclined to give that a try. What I might do is set-up and stabilize the coolidor, then insert the humis, with the lids propped open and no bead tube, for a few weeks.......and once things have really stabilized, just close the lids..............pics coming in early summer!

Sadly, this could be the end of the bucketidor............. :-(
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a great idea. it is actually one of the the reasons why i am thinking of switching over to 100% plastic. there is still a good amount of convincing that i should do this because i LOVE the look of a wood humidor.
    however this winter for some reason has been a real struggle for me to keep my RH up. im fairly sure it is operator error/learning curve. i switched over to gel from beads when i had two sudden increases in my quantity count.
    It took me some convincing until I made my first tupperdor, its amazing and in my opinion its a noticeable difference in how well the cigars smoke. Plus I could make a huge 64 qt tupperdor and actually keep cigars in their original boxes, all for like 10 bucks. I feel it also helps stabilize and smooth out any high or low humidity spots, could just be my opinion though. I still keep my 2 original humidors and you can't compete with the general quality look of wood.

On a side note, one more benefit to the humi inside of tupperdor or cooler. I was thinking of this on my way to work this morning. It allows you to check on & maintain your humidification element (inside tupperdor, outside humis) without shocking the cigars inside the humi with that rapid drop or rise in RH. Say you water your beads and have it open for 2 minutes, well if the humidor is closed I would imagine after you reseal the tupperdor it will quickly acclimate back to your preferred RH before it would have any adverse effect on the inside humidor environment, through air exchange.
    Maybe when we purchase our 1st house this summer I'll have some room to try it. Like I said I can't argue with any theory behind what this guy did, and in my opinion it would be probably the most hassle free way of maintaining rock solid RH. Just a bit on the ugly side. Keep us updated if you try this.
  • I have a big humi from WaxingMoon, its about a 300ct. There is SO MUCH cedar inside this thing between the walls and trays that it gets to be a real PITA to maintain RH during the winter months in the Northeast. Several times I have thought about placing the entire humi into one of my 120qt coolers....now that I see this isnt taboo, i think I might do it.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    4, gently, kindly...
    Diamondog:
    4, gently, kindly...
    ha ha ha..............no need to be kind and gentle DD......I'll admit it will look pretty lame when I open my cooler, and there's a $500+ G Watts **** humi staring at me................

Do you by chance, have any "performance" based reasons as to why it's a dumb idea??
    Just no need, you can't improve already good numbers....if your temps are in check, if your RH is in check, it won't get any better....68/68 will still be 68/68....I just think there is no point is all, then again I'd never use cat liter as humification, does it work, I beiieve it does, I just wouldn't use it lol but what the hell do I know...
  • Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Diamondog:
    Just no need, you can't improve already good numbers....if your temps are in check, if your RH is in check, it won't get any better....68/68 will still be 68/68....I just think there is no point is all, then again I'd never use cat liter as humification, does it work, I beiieve it does, I just wouldn't use it lol but what the hell do I know...
    I am with you on this DD. It's not worth the risk to save $20-50 when I have $3,000 in sticks...easy piece of mind IMO
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Diamondog:
    I am with you on this DD. It's not worth the risk to save $20-50 when I have $3,000 in sticks...easy piece of mind IMO
    That's exactly how I felt, up until a few days ago, and after many hours of research.
    Now I'm not so sure, especially after reading about and hearing arguments about surface area and RH exchange comparing round beeds in a cluster (bowl, stocking, etc.), and "jagged/irregular" shaped beeds in a cluster.
    I have access to some microscopes thru a science-geek friend, we're gonna play around and research this further.

• Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    KingoftheCove:
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    Diamondog:
    That's exactly how I felt, up until a few days ago, and after many hours of research.
    Now I'm not so sure, especially after reading about and hearing arguments about surface area and RH exchange comparing round beeds in a cluster (bowl, stocking, etc.), and "jagged/irregular" shaped beeds in a cluster.
    I have access to some microscopes thru a science-geek friend, we're gonna play around and research this further.

Sounds good...you are on the right track and are asking the right questions! As always, relaying the findings :)
    KingoftheCove:
    I also believe air circulation in a humi/cooler is important and replaces any need for something to give off better RH...
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I have a small 20 count humi inside my cooler and I'm happy with it. It doesn't take up much more space than a regular cigar box and I put my very best cigars in there. The reason why I like it in my cooler is because I don't have to take up space in the 20 ct. with a hygro and beads, it just becomes whatever rh the cooler is.

Eventually I'll build custom spanish cedar trays throughout the cooler but it's almost $100 in wood just for my little 48 quart so that project is on the back burner for a while.
    Its definitely not necessary if you have good temp and RH already. And yes its basically doubling up, just a second layer of protection.
    I only brought it up because if you are having a tough time keeping RH up due to a leaky humidor seal, or maybe you just live in an extremely dry location, and you don't want to toss out your humidor or build a cooler you can always give it a try. I know in the winter here in Pa I get tired of charging my beads every week in my 100ct cheapo humidor, my tupperdor I don't even need to worry about so I would possibly try it myself in the future. Whatever works for you works, most have their own opinion and you won't change their minds so do what works for you.