Home Cigar 101
Options

How do you keep track of what you have/had?

Obviously you can write everything in a notebook or in a simple word document on your computer? Anyone come up with anything more sophisticated?

Comments

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    There are several Apps for Smart Phones. I use "Rate My Cigar". If guys/gals are doing it on their computers (I used to), a lot use an Excel Spreadsheet.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    excel - sticks tracked by............
    count
    date in
    alphabetically
    location (what humi, and precise location in humi)
    comments
    ratings

programmed it myself
    there are others available (excel) for free on the Net

• Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    I'm a keep it simple kind of guy and this hobby is all about relaxing for me, so I keep it all in my head.

If I don't remember smoking it, it obviously wasn't that memorable and I don't worry about the details and won't get more of them. If its real bad it might scare off an entire brand, but if its like that I'll probably remember it. If I really enjoy something, I'll get more and I'll remember why i got more of them everytime I see a stack of them in humi. So I just sorta wing it and that works for me.

Now I do keep lists of cigars I want to try on my to try list and I usually plan out my purchases at least 6 months in advance with some new and some old favorites because that keeps me ordering smartly.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    boydmcgowan:
    I'm a keep it simple kind of guy and this hobby is all about relaxing for me, so I keep it all in my head.

If I don't remember smoking it, it obviously wasn't that memorable and I don't worry about the details and won't get more of them. If its real bad it might scare off an entire brand, but if its like that I'll probably remember it. If I really enjoy something, I'll get more and I'll remember why i got more of them everytime I see a stack of them in humi. So I just sorta wing it and that works for me.

Now I do keep lists of cigars I want to try on my to try list and I usually plan out my purchases at least 6 months in advance with some new and some old favorites because that keeps me ordering smartly.
    you are SMART!
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    boydmcgowan:

This is what I do.
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    3 ring binder and a glue stick

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    steel trap mind...

and my catalog. clearly not every smoke i have had is in there, but a bunch are.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    I save the bands of each stick I smoke...or at least I try to...memory on how it was and tasted
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:

I'd love to see that collection someday
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    beatnic:

Dude, thats a really good idea.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This website, it loads nicely on the iPad screen too. Not so good on the iPhone/mobile browser though.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use Mobile Stogie Pro on my iPhone. Works pretty darned good. And, for those rare occasions when the stick you're looking for is too new to be included in the database, you can add it yourself.

Works for me!!!
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    photographic memory
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    deejmemixx:
    photographic memory

Yeah, riiigghhtt!
  • Options
    Actually just started keeping track myself. I'm using the free app Evernote. It's easy to keep electronic records and pictures. Plus easy to share and auto synchs to all your devices you have it on. Definitely like the bands in a three ring binder though. Might try that.
  • Options
    SalemSalem Posts: 717
    beatnic:

I love that!! Stealing your idea...........:)
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    I have a very good memory. Trying to keep records is too much like work and if I know its a cigar I like, I just keep buying more of them when I get low, so they stay in my rotation.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I write down what I smoke and glue the label inside my cigar dossier book. Which if im not mistaken, u can buy here at ccom.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Krieg:
    I write down what I smoke and glue the label inside my cigar dossier book. Which if im not mistaken, u can buy here at ccom.
    OK, yea, thanks. That's my home made "dossier" book. How could I be so uncivilized. LOL
  • Options
    Bucking_WBucking_W Posts: 208 ✭✭
    I have this same method plus it's kinda a hobby keeping the bands. However I put some small notes with the bands to remind me.
  • Options
    ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    Great idea! I just keep the bans in a envlope for now. might have to graduate to the binder.
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    beatnic:
    Krieg:
    OK, yea, thanks. That's my home made "dossier" book. How could I be so uncivilized. LOL
    +1 +1 I've done both, along with a digital back up with rate my cigar for android. I like the three ring binder because you can change the page layout if needed. I am actually thinking about using an old franklin covey dayplanner and making a smaller version that is easier to pack.
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    I save the bands of each stick I smoke...or at least I try to...memory on how it was and tasted
    that's what I do. I have a big ol' Nub box filled and I'm starting on my second. if you have a smart phone there are apps for notes and humi numbers and everything you can think of! time for the new Galaxy Note so I can catch back up haha
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    I have a mind like a sprung trap ! LMAO. I always remember a GREAT cigar. I also always remember a TERRIBLE stick. Anything in between I just smoke 'em to various degrees of satisfaction.
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I write A short summery of each cigar when I have the time. If I'm pressed for time I record the name and date. So far I have three notebooks full. Electronics would be A better way but I'm old school.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    laker1963:
    I have a mind like a sprung trap ! LMAO. I always remember a GREAT cigar. I also always remember a TERRIBLE stick. Anything in between I just smoke 'em to various degrees of satisfaction.
    This is the way I would describe my smoking experiences too. I keep searching for that WOW cigar.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Memory, and occasionally... blog, which I have really been slacking with for the winter. Just too cold to enjoy a cigar.
  • Options
    Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
    I keep track of everything on an excel spreadsheet. I start with what is in each of my humis, along with: Date I got it, how I got it/paid for it and how many I have. The other sheet is my notes on what I thought of it when I smoked it: Date I smoked it, how I got it/how much I paid for it, date I got it, and what I thought of the stick. I also color code what I have smoked with don't like, like,k great, and I have to buy a box.

I also use the My Cigar Book app so I can keep track of things while I am smoking or on the road.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I don't write anything down . That way I can pretend I have never tried anyting and always have an excuse to BUY IT ! The wife can never dispute this as NOTHING is on paper !!! Muwaahahahahaha !!!!!!
  • Options
    edelrionycedelrionyc Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    I have a personal Facebook page where I keep a folder named Cigars. I take a pic of whatever new cigar I smoke and upload it to that folder. I then name the pic and give my review. This way it's safe and always accessible and everyone that's a friend on FB can view my suggestions on cigars.