Home Cigar 101
Options

Exercise Before A Cigar?

Thinking about it the other day....
Does anybody just crave cigars after they exercise or run? I'm wondering if you smoke right after your workout if it changes the tastes/experience of the cigar.

Just curious, what do you guys think?

Comments

• Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I do it all the time... it's my reward for finishing a hard workout. It doesn't change the flavor or anything, but when your body is completely spent, and you sit back with a nice cigar by a fire, it's about 100x more relaxing.
  • Options
    Thanks! Yeah I was just thinking if your body was lacking certain nutrients, would it taste more sweet/spicey on your palette ect ect...
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    yup... a good run then some water and a cigar to relax.
  • Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't work for me.....at all.
    Once I'm done working out (30 min lifting plus 30 min aerobics or randori), the last thing I want is a cigar.
    More interested in food/drink.
    In fact, I tend to smoke cigars on days that I don't workout.

• Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    I like to do a c@ck push-up before a cigar. Just one. It's all you need.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    y2pascoe:
    I like to do a c@ck push-up before a cigar. Just one. It's all you need.
    love POD
  • Options
    I take an exercise class on Monday nights, and it's about a 45 minute walk from my apartment. Unless it's raining, I smoke a cigar on the walk home. It's not ideal conditions - mouth is generally a little dry from the workout, I tend to walk pretty fast, and it can get windy - so I usually have a budget stick. I've never tried it with a premium.
  • Options
    y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    Unthought_Known:
    I take an exercise class on Monday nights
    Zumba?
  • Options
    y2pascoe:
    Unthought_Known:
    I take an exercise class on Monday nights
    Zumba?
    It's a bootcamp class. Zumba is directly after it, and people go nuts over it. They start lining up before my class even starts, so some people wait over an hour just to get a good spot on the floor.
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    kuzi16:
    yup... a good run then some water and a cigar to relax.
    Actually never done this, beer on the otherhand tastes fantastic after a good run.

The closest thing I get to post workout cigars is usually after a day working in the yard I like to relax with a cigar. Not the same, but similar I guess. Its just so relaxing after a good days work.
  • Options
    While I won't be doing Zumba, I appreciate all the input. Thanks
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I love to have a good cigar with my post workout shake. Usually do that while grilling chicken or salmon for my post workout meal
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    I think that a good cigar actually tastes a bit better to me after a hard run or workout. I do it all the time!
  • Options
    boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    ENFIDL:
    I love to have a good cigar with my post workout shake. Usually do that while grilling chicken or salmon for my post workout meal
    Smoking while grilling is excellent. Can't wait for the nice weather to kick in soon, to give me an excuse to grill more. it was a cold winter for us, hardly any rain, but colder than usual.
  • Options
    ImgemboImgembo Posts: 661 ✭✭
    Smoked one last night after playing raquet ball for hour and a half. Supposedly nicotine boost your metabolism.....maybe you should smoke them before your work outs ? P.s. I do not recommend smoking them before your work outs.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Repeatedly lifting the cigar and the accompanying drink IS the workout for me!
    OK, to be honest, I can do more with a cigar than I can without. An injury several years ago still haunts me and I can't do any kind of regular workout. Can't run, gave up baseball, golf, bowling even! A good cigar helps to relax and allows me to at least be able to mow the lawn or snowblow the driveway (can't shovel either).
    I do manage to go camping and fishing, and have at least 1 cigar a day, sometimes 3 a day(while camping). That somehow helps me be 'normal' and allows me to set up a tent, get firewood and go fishing, as long as I don't overdo it. I know it might sound weird, but smoking cigars allows me some form of 'normal' in doing activities. While out camping, most people would never know I have an injury that causes so much pain. The same activities at home hurt me severely, but I don't smoke every day in the city, nor can I afford to.

/end of life story.
  • Options
    oldsoulrevivaloldsoulrevival Posts: 632 ✭✭
    I'm about to workout now, and I highly intend on having a cigar afterward. woo!
  • Options
    If I am running more than 5 miles I run into town buy a bottle of water then head to the coffee shop for a drink and cigar. Most people look at you weird sitting there in workout gear and smoking. I've even had a 300lb guy say to me thats gonna kill you. I just pointed at his belly and said you first.

A few times I have ran home after the cigar.
  • Options
    OchoZachoOchoZacho Posts: 1,471
    rossdavey2:
    If I am running more than 5 miles I run into town buy a bottle of water then head to the coffee shop for a drink and cigar. Most people look at you weird sitting there in workout gear and smoking. I've even had a 300lb guy say to me thats gonna kill you. I just pointed at his belly and said you first.

That is awesome! +5
  • Options
    boydmcgowan:
    ENFIDL:
    Smoking while grilling is excellent. Can't wait for the nice weather to kick in soon, to give me an excuse to grill more. it was a cold winter for us, hardly any rain, but colder than usual.
    Yeah I look like a tool when I'm out grilling in Jan when it's like 20 degrees out and I'm standing there with a stogie and a protein shake basically humping the grill to help stay warm
  • Options
    OchoZacho:
    rossdavey2:

That is awesome! +5
    Too funny! bahahahahahahhahahahahahahahaha
  • Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    Winter... what winter?
  • Options
    415415 Posts: 951
    back when i smoked cigarettes i smoked while running. people looked at me like i was insane.

but when i started having knee problems that all stoped.
    honestly in the last 5 year i havent run unless somone was chasing me
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best exercise before a smoke really begins the night before, when you pack your motorcycle, making sure you fill your hip flask. Next morning, you head out around five or six. Ride the back roads from Newark DE round the North of Baltimore, come out at Fredneck MD, toot down that 340 to Waynesville, catch the top end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, then weave your way slowly down the best motorcycle road in America to Willsville Motorcycle Campground. Hang your hammock, bring your folding chair over to the bonfire, tilt back the hip flask, and now you are ready for a stick.

If that doesn't work for you, ride up through Amish country, dodge round Harrisburg, take 220 up the valley of the Juniate, grab 140 from Moshannon through the forest to Galeton, slip between the Finger Lakes, and cut across country to Lake Conesus. Hang your hammock beside the lake, pull your folding chair up to the bonfire, tilt back the flask, and now you are ready for a stick.

Or 650 miles of slab to Cruso NC, or 700 miles to East Shoelace KY, or...

Tellin you guys, there's nothing like a long exhausting all day ride to a bonfire surrounded by strangers soon to be strangers no longer. That there is the kind of exercise tunes you up for a stogie. Swapping lies and tilting a bottle under the stars.

Bring extra cigars for your new friends.

You will sleep tight beside a gurging crick.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    The best exercise before a smoke really begins the night before, when you pack your motorcycle, making sure you fill your hip flask. Next morning, you head out around five or six. Ride the back roads from Newark DE round the North of Baltimore, come out at Fredneck MD, toot down that 340 to Waynesville, catch the top end of the Blue Ridge Parkway, then weave your way slowly down the best motorcycle road in America to Willsville Motorcycle Campground. Hang your hammock, bring your folding chair over to the bonfire, tilt back the hip flask, and now you are ready for a stick. If that doesn't work for you, ride up through Amish country, dodge round Harrisburg, take 220 up the valley of the Juniate, grab 140 from Moshannon through the forest to Galeton, slip between the Finger Lakes, and cut across country to Lake Conesus. Hang your hammock beside the lake, pull your folding chair up to the bonfire, tilt back the flask, and now you are ready for a stick. Or 650 miles of slab to Cruso NC, or 700 miles to East Shoelace KY, or... Tellin you guys, there's nothing like a long exhausting all day ride to a bonfire surrounded by strangers soon to be strangers no longer. That there is the kind of exercise tunes you up for a stogie. Swapping lies and tilting a bottle under the stars. Bring extra cigars for your new friends. You will sleep tight beside a gurging crick.
    Now THAT sounds like a plan!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    gaberoxgaberox Posts: 824
    So as someone who is actually in shape and an elite athlete I can say cigars, beer, spirits, everything is better after a workout. Even just being healthy makes cigars much more enjoyable. Earn your indulgences. We dont want to be a bunch of soft belly wussies if revelation/revolution comes.
  • Options
    "Earn your indulgences." My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    Jaydabomb88:
    "Earn your indulgences." My thoughts exactly!
    Does being awesome count? I'm awesome pretty much every day and I think that should allow me a few indulgences ;-)
  • Options
    Absolutely!
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys can have a smoke right after working out? Doesn't it give you a headache?

I smoked once before working out. I went to the gym and just ended up relaxed, smiling, and on the treadmill looking at a ccom mag haha. people were probably thinking "who is this guy?"