Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rocky Patel Decade

As good as billed. Enjoying it as we speak with Leinenkugle's Honey Nut Brown.  Excellent pairing.  The stick is woody with a slightly sweet finish at the start.  Grows into a bolder version.

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    that is a good cigar beer.

i havent had the decade, but i suspect that i wont enjoy it as much as others on this board... with my aversion to RP/Nicaraguan tobacco.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    love the decade
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Kuz, if you're a fan of Padron, you might actually like the decade. While I wouldn't say it's quite as good as the Padron 64, it has a slightly similar flavor profile, though not quite as rich and complex.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Glad you like the Decade! I'm a huge fan of them and I'm planning on having one for my birthday in about a week and a half that a buddy of mine has been resting for over a year now! YUMMY!!!
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I love the Decade but really hate the price tag. I think it's a lot like an Olde World Maduro, but a bit richer. I'd love to see how they do with age if i cold stop smoking everyone i get!
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I love the Decade but really hate the price tag. I think it's a lot like an Olde World Maduro, but a bit richer. I'd love to see how they do with age if i cold stop smoking everyone i get!
    Give them to Vince to hold for you... He can hold on to cigars for 39 years.. At what point do cigars turn south in the aging process, and start to lose quality. ( or just not improve anymore ) ?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Jetmech_63:
    Give them to Vince to hold for you... He can hold on to cigars for 39 years.. At what point do cigars turn south in the aging process, and start to lose quality. ( or just not improve anymore ) ?
    I'd think that 39 years would be approaching the edge of what you describe. And even at that, not many cigars could age for that long and still be any good to smoke, most would mellow out into nothing I'd imagine.
  • Options
    Yeah Joe, I think that in ten years, it would have gotten as good as it will get. I may keep one of those Titans, just to give it the Pepsi Challenge. I could never keep say, an Opus X that long. I think about them too much to forget them for 39 years. Oh wait, I'll be dead in 39 years.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    All the more reason not to keep it that long. I'll probably hang on to some for 5-10 years...I know for sure I'll keep my hands off a box or two of the La Aurora 1495/1994 for that long. I just know those cigars are going to be excellent with several years on them.
  • Options
    j0z3r:
    All the more reason not to keep it that long. I'll probably hang on to some for 5-10 years...I know for sure I'll keep my hands off a box or two of the La Aurora 1495/1994 for that long. I just know those cigars are going to be excellent with several years on them.
    I have a box of ten 1495/1994 that says " Do not smoke " I will see how long I can keep that promise.
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Kuz, if you're a fan of Padron, you might actually like the decade. While I wouldn't say it's quite as good as the Padron 64, it has a slightly similar flavor profile, though not quite as rich and complex.
    i never have been much of a fan of Padron. ... the aversion nicaraguan tobacco. i feel like such a snob when i say i dont seem to enjoy nicaraguan tobacco as much. i hope i dont come off as one.
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    kuzi16:
    Rob1110:
    i never have been much of a fan of Padron. ... the aversion nicaraguan tobacco. i feel like such a snob when i say i dont seem to enjoy nicaraguan tobacco as much. i hope i dont come off as one.

I know it's just a flavor profile preference....I don't take it as snobbery.
  • Options
    ive just heard some wine snobs saying things about how they dont like the grapes from one of a winery's fields but the other one is better. sounded like a real douche bag ...
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    I think there is a fine line in how one might say something like "I don't like it" As you have done, you say that it is simply an opinion, by doing it that way, you're not making a judgement, only having an opinion. You're not making someone wrong, which is a form of violence.

When you say
    kuzi16:
    ive just heard some wine snobs saying things about how they dont like the grapes from one of a winery's fields but the other one is better.

The how they say this is most likely the culprit of the snobbery
  • Options
    Have not called them yet but I thought I remember someone on here saying they got RP Decades from C.COM does that ring a bell with anyone....not where I have time to call right now
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    gmill880:
    Have not called them yet but I thought I remember someone on here saying they got RP Decades from C.COM does that ring a bell with anyone....not where I have time to call right now
    I got them from Tim back around October.
  • Options
    Thanks i will call when home
  • Options
    dutyjedutyje Posts: 2,263
    Just received an e-mail from Jeff yesterday, offering 10 Decade torpedos for $50
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    got that one too, anyone jumping on that deal? Are these good?
  • Options
    Normally I would but I have a fair few of them now. Maybe 8 - 10
  • Options
    I just spent $150 on ccom in the last month, and I had no budget to begin with. The Battle of the Countries is still in the works, so that'll be another $40 or so. That, and after my latest order the tupperdors are going to be full again. That new 100-ct didn't even last a month.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    dutyje:
    I just spent $150 on ccom in the last month, and I had no budget to begin with. The Battle of the Countries is still in the works, so that'll be another $40 or so. That, and after my latest order the tupperdors are going to be full again. That new 100-ct didn't even last a month.
    lol, amazing isn't it
  • Options
    Well, to be fair, this actually was an intended overstock on items ahead of the April 1st tax increase. My plan was to stock up on cigars before 4/1, and then not buy any for a while afterward. So while I hadn't officially budgeted purchasing cigars, I looked at the situation and determined it was the smart thing to do. I'm very big about timing my purchases around opportunity, rather than need. I try to optimize cost efficiency in most things. That's sort of another reason I don't spend a lot of time in the games, and why my wife and I hardly spend anything on each other for birthdays/Christmas... those things aren't very cost efficient.
  • Options
    That's part of my reason too. I just bought a box of Upmann Demitasse for $50. Regular price is around $70. If tax is $40 per cigar, and there are 60 cigars in the box, that's a big increase. Approx $24/box
  • Options
    dutyje:
    Just received an e-mail from Jeff yesterday, offering 10 Decade torpedos for $50

thanks for the feedback
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Holy Crap thats a good price....anyway i could get in on some of that...
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    Holy Crap thats a good price....anyway i could get in on some of that...
    wow, that is a good price, cheapest I have seen the Decade Torpedo is $11.75 per cigar!

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Finally found a place down here in CA that actually has RP Decades, pretty sure the owner is a fan, he had one wall dedicated to RP, Sun Growns to what I think was called Winter Blend. Anyways, he ended up having some Decades for around 10 bucks, but that doesn't even touch the deal Tim is offering.
  • Options
    I just ordered the decade deal!
  • Options
    Ok, So I ordered yesterday and they are shipped yesterday. I should have them in hand on Tuesday or Wednesday.

I have 10 coming in and a box of Nubs so I may not wait the customary 'resting' time. I may have to pull the trigger on one and spark it up next weekend!

So does anyone on CCom have a review of these? I know that CA has one, what about any of the pro's on this site. I know Kuzi stated he hasnt had one yet so thats out! Anybody have a detailed review out there?