Home Cigar 101
Options

humidipak fluctuations

slum_lordeslum_lorde Posts: 27 ✭✭
Hi. I picked up a few new hygrometers awhile back along with a humidipak to calibrate them. I've used the pack with all of these plus a few older hygrometers that I had been using and that I had previously calibrated. I have a question about using a humidipak.

Would the humidity level created vary over the course of a day? With every hygrometer I've tested so far, the test always comes out low, around 70% humidity, in the morning. The humidity level builds up with time to its more or less correct amount but I still notice some fluctuations.

I know there might be some explanation for why the pack would release less humidity in the morning. It might be that the environment is colder, for instance. So, you have to allow time for the humidity to change relative to the temperature. But, I haven't found anything on the net to confirm that.

It's just that it's kind of hard to calibrate a hygrometer when such variations occur.

The salt test kit is kept out of sunlight and in an indoor environment. It is also perfectly sealed.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the hygros digital? Analog hygros are worthless.

Also, keep in mind that the RH will fluctuate with changes in temperature.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My humidity will usually go up a couple degrees in the evenings. My houses it's in direct sunlight most of the day so I think that has something to do with it. So I keep my humi on the opposite side of the house.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to double check - are you using a humidipak or the Boveda 1 step calibration kit to calibrate them?
    If it's a humidipak when was the last time you charged it? If it's the 1-step calibration kit I think those are only good for 3 months, so if you've had it longer that could be the problem.

Also how long are you letting the hygrometer sit for? I've found that it usually takes 1-2 days before they'll even out and stabilize.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    I'm using a brand new Boveda 1 step calibration kit, purchased about a week ago. Also, all my hygrometers are digital. I've used the kit with 3 Hydroset 2's, a Caliber 3 hygrometer, plus a couple of the popular Walmart cheapies I picked up a few years ago. All of them indicate the same 5 percent deviation in the morning. They all seem to fluctuate somewhat during the rest of the day.

I don't think it could be a flaw in the kit. I mean, the kit is just some salt in a bag. Nothing really complicated that could fail.
  • Options
    slum_lorde:
    I'm using a brand new Boveda 1 step calibration kit, purchased about a week ago. Also, all my hygrometers are digital. I've used the kit with 3 Hydroset 2's, a Caliber 3 hygrometer, plus a couple of the popular Walmart cheapies I picked up a few years ago. All of them indicate the same 5 percent deviation in the morning. They all seem to fluctuate somewhat during the rest of the day.

I don't think it could be a flaw in the kit. I mean, the kit is just some salt in a bag. Nothing really complicated that could fail.
    You're right, probably not a flaw with the kit. I'd say just let them sit for a little bit longer, I know my hygrometers jumped around quite a bit for the first 24-48 hrs of calibration (like 5% RH or more), but then after that they leveled off and stayed within 1% RH.
    Maybe all they need is a little more time to calibrate?....Idk

• Options
    I do try to let the hygrometers sit for a couple of days in the kit. The one I have in there now has been in least a couple of days. I'll just let it sit for another day or so and see what happens.
  • Options
    Ok good luck. Let us know how it turns out.

• Options
    KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta:
    Analog hygros are worthless.
    Probably true for many made today, BUT......I am the proud owner of an older French made analog hygro, and I'll put it up against ANY $30 digital hygro made today.
    I just completed the 3rd salt test on this baby in the last 17 months, and for the 3rd time in a row, it was spot on at 77%.
    Small, reliable, good looking, easy for me to read, no batteries...............sure wish I could find 5 more of these.

• Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    jlmarta:
    Probably true for many made today, BUT......I am the proud owner of an older French made analog hygro, and I'll put it up against ANY $30 digital hygro made today.
    I just completed the 3rd salt test on this baby in the last 17 months, and for the 3rd time in a row, it was spot on at 77%.
    Small, reliable, good looking, easy for me to read, no batteries...............sure wish I could find 5 more of these.

Sound like you DO have a good one. That's rare. I'd have to bet that you already know that the principal mechanism of an analog hygro is a hair. And, depending on the source of one's info, some say it's a horse-hair and some say it's human - blonde, preferably. Must be the blonde-haired analogs that are so untrustworthy, eh? Hee hee!
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    jlmarta:

Sound like you DO have a good one. That's rare. I'd have to bet that you already know that the principal mechanism of an analog hygro is a hair. And, depending on the source of one's info, some say it's a horse-hair and some say it's human - blonde, preferably. Must be the blonde-haired analogs that are so untrustworthy, eh? Hee hee!
    wha!! um....ooooooooooooooo.....I'm telling Jenn!!!

• Options
    jlmarta:
    KingoftheCove:
    jlmarta:

Actually mine is a spring mechanism, as are most of them these days.
    But the quality of the spring mechanism (and overall build) is what separates the good from the not-so-good.