Home Ratings & Reviews

Macanudo maduro generally good or bad? opinions?

bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
I know that macanudo aren't the most complex cigars out there, but they're fairly smooth and they aren't too peppery or spicy, which are some of the things i look for, but...

i had a macanudo maduro the other day that was downright horrible, very bland in flavor except for bad old/stale/musky-taste for at least the first 2-1/2 inches. i didn't know if this was normal for that particular cigar? I've had the mac robust before and really enjoyed it and I can't imagine that it would be that huge of a difference?

it also had a VERY tight draw for the duration, but it didn't seem over-humidified at the pre-light feel inspection and the hygro in the tupper-dor said everything was fine... didn't split during the smoke either, so...

if anybody's got any input i'd appreciate it.

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I had one because it was gifted to me. I didn't think it was downright horrible, but it was bland. Typical Macanudo. Toasty flavors, not much else. I feel, the only thing they're good for is a golf course cigar, when you don't really have the effort to focus on your cigar, but for the price, there are better golf course sticks out there.
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I've found all the macanudo i'v smoked to be pretty flat tasting, though i havent had the maduro. Montecristo is kind of the same way in my book. The Monte White isnt too bad, think 5 vegas gold with a wee bit more flavor. The Medianoche was pretty kick ass. Amazing how sometimes you're really just paying for a name(my opinion).
  • bacon.jaybacon.jay Posts: 720 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I've found all the macanudo i'v smoked to be pretty flat tasting, though i havent had the maduro. Montecristo is kind of the same way in my book. The Monte White isnt too bad, think 5 vegas gold with a wee bit more flavor. The Medianoche was pretty kick ass. Amazing how sometimes you're really just paying for a name(my opinion).

the medianoche? is that a montecristo or it's own brand entirely? i've heard of it before but never really looked into it. and a co-worker suggested 5 Vegas A's, are they any good?
  • Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    Media Noche is from Montecristo, it's a dark maduro, i liked it a lot. I LOVE the 5 Vegas A! Smooth, flavorful maduro, light cedar flavor, and at a terrific price. I always have those on hand.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    bacon.jay:
    I know that macanudo aren't the most complex cigars out there, but they're fairly smooth and they aren't too peppery or spicy, which are some of the things i look for, but...

i had a macanudo maduro the other day that was downright horrible, very bland in flavor except for bad old/stale/musky-taste for at least the first 2-1/2 inches. i didn't know if this was normal for that particular cigar? I've had the mac robust before and really enjoyed it and I can't imagine that it would be that huge of a difference?

it also had a VERY tight draw for the duration, but it didn't seem over-humidified at the pre-light feel inspection and the hygro in the tupper-dor said everything was fine... didn't split during the smoke either, so...

Wow, i have had a few Mac Maduros, and never had any of the issues you reported. I usually age them for at least 6 weeks before I smoke them though. They are not usually as flavorful has other maduros I have had, but they do have a tad bit of sweetness to them.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Krieg:
    bacon.jay:

Wow, i have had a few Mac Maduros, and never had any of the issues you reported. I usually age them for at least 6 weeks before I smoke them though. They are not usually as flavorful has other maduros I have had, but they do have a tad bit of sweetness to them.
    i havent had a "bad" mac. but i prefer a cigar with a bit more "kick" to it. they are only "flat" because they are so mild.

however, their construction is always good and the burn is almost always even.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I'll defend Mac by saying they are the best selling cigar in America, and they are consistent.
    I always have a couple in my humidor to share with new or occasional smokers, because they will find them pleasing.. MIld, and smooth is what they are known for. I prefer medium to full smokes so I don't reach for them often. If I want to smoke early, or am thinking mild, They will fit the bill. I will pick up some ascots if I want a short smoke, and still have a decent experience. I don't think age matters with Macanudo, at least not the classic line.
    kaspera79:
    I'll defend Mac by saying they are the best selling cigar in America, and they are consistant.
    I always have a couple in my humidor to share with new or occasional smokers, because they will find them pleasing.. MIld, and smooth is what they are known for. I prefer medium to full smokes so I don't reach for them often. If I want to smoke early, or am thinking mild, They will fit the bill. I will pick up some ascots if I want a short smoke, and still have a decent experience. I don't think age matters with Macanudo, at least not the classic line.
    I would have to say I agree with that, cafe lines usually don't have to be aged. However, I have bought a few of the Mac, Robusts, and smoked one right away and aged one for about a year. I have to say the one I aged was a very pleasent smoke, medium bodied, just the right balance. I bought another one from ccom, and will be smoking that one in about 6 months. If you like Macs, but want something with a little bit more kick, try the robust.

"Long ashes my friends."

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    name, didn't know they were that popular... anyhoo my X's dad loved them. never understood it though.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Macanudo gold I found pretty good
    I've had two and both time they were very pinish or woody with well flat... as some would say. I like mild cigars but I wouldn't say a Mac fits that well I guess it just doesn't fit my profile. Now a gurkha turk or vegas gold those are good mild cigars. at least to me.
    I have wanted to try the gurkha turk and the 5 vegas gold, or maybe a cusano 18 double connecticut. I have heard from several people that those are very good mild smokes.

one mild cigar that i truly enjoyed was the ashton domi./conn. i'm not the best at picking apart flavor, but i'm pretty sure i tasted a medium woody and slightly-sweet walnut flavor. absolutely superb draw, and lots of nice creamy, thick smoke. it must have been sitting in the B&M i bought it from for a while, it was sooooo smooth and mellow.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Bacon, those Ashtons are smooth and mellow anyway, that's just how they roll. I've had one with a year on it, and it was wonderful. The 5 Vegas Gold and Cusano Double Conn. are both very good mild cigars in my opinion, I'd say the Cusano is a bit more flavorful than the Gold, but I really like them both.
    i'm prolly gonna have to make the 5 vegas and the cusano some of the ones in my next order.
    the turk I thought had more of a complex flavor profile than the vegas gold, I can't recall the cusano but I don't think I was overly impressed. Ashton is a great line. I Haven't had the cabinet selection yet, but I have one sitting. All of the rest of them I do like, especially the VSG. The esg is just not worth the price in my eyes. I haven't had the 21 year salute but rob's review didn't want me to chuck up 30 or so dollars to see. I was surprised in the VSG as I haven't been to keen on the sun grown stuff. Ashton did something right.
  • samijxsamijx Posts: 6

I had the diplomat (fiurado) and loved it.  I bought 6 more and a prince phillip.  I didn't enjoy the prince phillip, but the diplomats rock!

I just smoked a prince phillip on friday evening. And I have to say, for the first time I didn't enjoy the smoke. The draw was WAAAY to tight. I had to puff on it so hard that the cigar got really hot, basically I had to get rid of it half way. I was very disappointed, I bought of box of these and this was the first time I ever had this issue. I hope it was just a one time thing.

"Long ashes my friends."

• PsychoSJGPsychoSJG Posts: 766 ✭✭✭
    Generally not a big fan of Macanudo. However, I just had a Mac Maduro diplomat, and i really enjoyed it. smoked it until it burned my lips.
  • 1+ on the 5 Vegas A
  • Nick2021Nick2021 Posts: 938 ✭✭
    Honestly, while I don't care for macs I did find this one to be more flavorful than the usual "blah" macs
  • t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    I didn't mind this stick. For the price its pretty good value. It would be a great value to me if it wasn't for the Ccom maduro.
  • I have a soft spot for Macanudo Maduros...when I first started smoking, it was the first cigar that made me realize I really liked cigars and wanted to get more into it. Consistent, mellow and toasty...a great cigar for a newbie. At this point tho, having grown older and wiser with a more developed palate, I don't really go back to that smoke unless I am trying to re-discover the brand in general. I am however tho, a huge maduro fan in general. The 5 Vegas Maduro is next on deck for me.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Yeah, I'll go ahead and agree that their Generally Good. Macanudo is a brand that prides itself on super smooth mild cigars, so as long as you go into it expecting that, you should be ok. If you go into it expecting too much beyond that, then your gonna be dissappointed.

I've had a few of these, actually all gifted to me by Suneet over the years, haha thanks man, and all of them had a really nice sweet mild flavor without too much going on, and no burn issues at all. So if your into what they have to offer, their great.

Interesting point about the Ccom Maduro in comparison though. I've actually never had any of the house blends in my 4+ years of being a customer. haha, I gotta get on that.