Home Non Cigar Related

NFL and Peyton Manning

Now that we have had the combine and all the attention on Andrew Luck and RG3 . What do the football fans on here think will happen with Peyton Manning and the Colts since they have the first pick ? As a true blue Colts fan I love Manning and what he did for the Colts . He took a team that was a longshot to make the playoffs for about the last decade before he was drafted and made them consistant superbowl contenders . All that being what it is , its still a business , and your only as good as your last season or contribution , h*ll I found out just how true that is a couple weeks ago myself .

Do they pay the 28,000,000 bonus on Mar 8th ? Do they restructure his contract and keep him ? Do they let him walk ? Is there a compromise somewhere that makes everyone happy or is it just the sad end in Indy of a brilliant career and solely a business decision ? I have my own opinion but would like to hear from the NFL gurus on the forum .

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    They take Luck. Manning retires before season opener.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    While I'm not really and Indy fan, I have become and Indy fan because I've really enjoyed watching what Peyton Manning and company have done (this is saying a lot coming from a Jaguars fan). He's one of my favorite players to watch because he's simply so brilliant. Sad news for the real Indy fans is that he's definately gone, and with him leaving comes a LOT of free agents leaving. You can look no further than the restructuring of the offensive coaching staff to see that Peyton isn't sticking around. Reggie Wayne said he'll follow wherever Peyton goes, so chances are some team is gonna get a really nice QB/WR combo. Pierre Garcon would be nuts to stay given his value as a free agent and unless they franchise him, you can bank on Dwight Freeney playing in another uniform next year.

Sorry about your teams luck, but it seems the spectacle is coming to an end. I will also be sad when it does because I have really enjoyed watching all these people play together!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Trade Manning and take Luck in draft. I've heard he wants to try to come back and play.
  • Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Colts management is terrible. They lose Manning, they take Luck. Manning kills for a couple years somewhere like Arizona or Washtington and Luck spends two years in Indy before becoming a journeyman and disappearing.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • boydmcgowanboydmcgowan Posts: 1,101
    Being a life long Pats fan, I hate the colts, even though their not in our division anymore. Not gonna lie.

That being said, I don't envy the position their in, because of the respect that I have for Manning. Last year you paid the guy 25M to hold a clip board and clap, this year there's no way you can pay him 28M under any circumstance, let along coming back from a neck injury. Backloaded contracts are stupid and this is exactly why, it forces teams into decisions that they arne't ready to make. Even if he was healthy is it smart business to pay one guy 25% of the salary cap? not really.

Manning is a reasonable guy, and has made his $$ from the colts and from the advertising, and no one is going to pay him that $$. So what I'd do is sit him down and tell him where your at. There's no way he's getting 28M from anyone, but you want you back for 3 yrs 20M with an 8M bonus, so he can retire a colt, still get some bonus and help them usher in the next generation with class. If he takes it is up to him but its a good move.

Irsay should stop tweeting though. its making the team look bad.
  • LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Colts take Luck, Manning to Seahawks of Dolphins. If Seahawks, they're definitely in the playoffs next year and might end up emulating the 49ers from this year. It's the best move for the Colts, and for Manning. Irsay blew *** up and I think that ship has sailed for their relationship.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    They take Luck. Manning retires before season opener.
    what im thinking and going into sports casting on game day or part of the analysis teams etc
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Manning is released and signs with the Redskins.

Redskins make the playoffs for the 2-3 years Manning plays before he retires.

Which is more than I can say for the Indy Dolts. Who draft Andrew Luck. Who becomes the next David Carr.

Which is EXACTLY what the Dolts deserve for beating my Bears in their last Super Bowl appearance. GMill is arrested for blasting Jim Irsay in the face with a shotgun after watching the next 10 years of Indy Dolts futility.

GO BEARS!!!

• gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    The Sniper:
    Manning is released and signs with the Redskins.

Redskins make the playoffs for the 2-3 years Manning plays before he retires.

Which is more than I can say for the Indy Dolts. Who draft Andrew Luck. Who becomes the next David Carr.

Which is EXACTLY what the Dolts deserve for beating my Bears in their last Super Bowl appearance. GMill is arrested for blasting Jim Irsay in the face with a shotgun after watching the next 10 years of Indy Dolts futility.

GO BEARS!!!

Hahaha Glen . Lets change just one little thing in your post .

After watching 10 years of Indy Dolts futility Gmill is arrested in Jamaica for starting the CFLL . Carribean Female Lingerie League .
    gmill880:

After watching 10 years of Indy Dolts futility Gmill is arrested in Jamaica for starting the CFLL . Carribean Female Lingerie League .
    When this happens, please PM me! I want tickets to that show!
    I seriously doubt that Andrew Luck will be anything like David Carr! The primary difference in Andrew Luck and just about any other football player is that he doesn't have to make it as a football player! He is an Architectural Design Engineer. If he does bomb, he'll have some good money in his pocket and is more than intelligent enough to start his own company and be more than successful. This takes a lot of the pressure off of his shoulders where he can go out, be loose, have fun, and just really focus on what he needs to do.

Personally, I'd take RGIII first because that guy is just as smart and will be phenominal, but Luck will be just fine as well.
  • ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    I think you do 1 of 2 things. You either trade the 1 pick and rebuild the franchise with the picks and keep Manning or you cut Manning take luck and rebuild with the money you just saved. In no way would it be good for them to have both. With all the needs and the $ you'd have tied up in the two qb's it'd put them in a bad place long term. I'd do the latter and take Luck and rebuild around him.
    ENFIDL:
    I think you do 1 of 2 things. You either trade the 1 pick and rebuild the franchise with the picks and keep Manning or you cut Manning take luck and rebuild with the money you just saved. In no way would it be good for them to have both. With all the needs and the $ you'd have tied up in the two qb's it'd put them in a bad place long term. I'd do the latter and take Luck and rebuild around him.
    +1. They would be foolish not to at least explore what they could get for the pick... you never know when there might be a Saints-era Mike Ditka type out there so convinced about Luck or RGIII that they would be willing to give up this year's draft and half of next year's to move up & get him. With as many holes as the Dolts have on both sides of the ball, they need every pick they can get.

Notice the "would be foolish" in my statement above. I dont think the Irsay will miss an opportunity to step on his pecker. :-)

clearlysuspect:
    gmill880:

When this happens, please PM me! I want tickets to that show!
    A BIG +1. Arrested he11, you should be given a Jamaican Presidential citation!

You're probably going to need league officials... let me know when you're getting ready to make the move so I can dust off my resume. :-)

The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:
    +1. They would be foolish not to at least explore what they could get for the pick... you never know when there might be a Saints-era Mike Ditka type out there so convinced about Luck or RGIII that they would be willing to give up this year's draft and half of next year's to move up & get him. With as many holes as the Dolts have on both sides of the ball, they need every pick they can get.

Notice the "would be foolish" in my statement above. I dont think the Irsay will miss an opportunity to step on his pecker. :-)

Isray is too busy trying to get the high ground in the Manning situation to realize anything else that's going on around him lol
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    They have the first pick. The Rams are looking to trade the 2nd. Time to mortgage the team Irsay.
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:

Totally agree with you guys on seeing what people are offering for the pick, but I comepletely disagree with the line of thinking that you can only have one or the other.

Remember no one will pay manning anywhere near the bonus he's due. So playing for less money is a 100% probability for him next year. In my opinion, the colts f'ed up if they don't have both those guys on the roster on opening day. I know the manning situation takes two, but you have to try to restructure and bring him back at a reasonable rate. Luck is a rookie who will suck for 1-3 years guaranteed, and you can mess up a QB if he sucks too bad out of the gate. I know its not always black and white but think about the Alex Smith Aaron Rodgers debate. The packers did it right while SF didn't. Why not restructure Manning and let him play it out while letting luck learn from one of the best? Thats the best case scenario, the fans are happy, manning gets to retire at 37 playing all 15 years with the same team, Luck gets groomed slowly and takes over when he's ready. and the team will be competitive during the rebuilding process.
    boydmcgowan:
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:

Totally agree with you guys on seeing what people are offering for the pick, but I comepletely disagree with the line of thinking that you can only have one or the other.

Remember no one will pay manning anywhere near the bonus he's due. So playing for less money is a 100% probability for him next year. In my opinion, the colts f'ed up if they don't have both those guys on the roster on opening day. I know the manning situation takes two, but you have to try to restructure and bring him back at a reasonable rate. Luck is a rookie who will suck for 1-3 years guaranteed, and you can mess up a QB if he sucks too bad out of the gate. I know its not always black and white but think about the Alex Smith Aaron Rodgers debate. The packers did it right while SF didn't. Why not restructure Manning and let him play it out while letting luck learn from one of the best? Thats the best case scenario, the fans are happy, manning gets to retire at 37 playing all 15 years with the same team, Luck gets groomed slowly and takes over when he's ready. and the team will be competitive during the rebuilding process.
    I do like what you're saving but I don't think Manning would be willing to take the pay cut to stay in Indy. I think it comes down to a I built this franchise to where it is and the stadium it plays in you owe me the money or let me go. I could be way off base but the way those two have been playing each other in the media it makes me feel like he wouldn't be willing to restructure it enough to where they'd be able to have both and address the teams other needs.
    Well only about 96 hours away from finding out what will happen this Thursday when Peytons $28,000,000.00 dollar bonus is due .
    Supposedly , the Colts can't watch his workouts because of the new league contract . I do think Peyton wants to come back as a Colt . I think that is why the YouTube video of him throwing showed up a few days ago . I'm sure it was released by Mannings camp , to show Irsay and the coaches he was healing well and throwing pretty dang good by watching the video .

I really believe Peyton will play at a high level for another 5 years . Some may disagree . I don't think you can or would want to set a kid like Luck or Griffin III for more than one year tops . That means IF , and thats a mighty BIG IF , Peyton stays , I think they trade the first pick for more draft picks .

As a Colts fan since the Baltimore days and a huge Manning fan , there is no easy answer . If they keep him and win 2 Superbowls in the next 5 years there will be the " I told you so's " . If that was a guarantee for 2 SB in 5 years I would take that with Manning . However if he is re-injured or only plays 2-3 more years or is not the old Peyton then the naysayers will be clamoring for Irsays head for mortgaging the franchise . (Yeah I think if Peyton does come back it will be a re-negotiated contract cap friendly ) If only 'ol Jimmy Boy Irsay was as gifted a psychic as he is a tweeter this would all have already been handled LOL !

At the very least it is going to be entertaining for sure .
    About 48 hours away Gene. I can't look away from ESPN with anticipation and I'm not a Colts fan lol
    ENFIDL:
    About 48 hours away Gene. I can't look away from ESPN with anticipation and I'm not a Colts fan lol

Man , ENFIDL , you know the funny thing ? Everytime I turn on ESPN or Sportscenter , or pull up their website I get butterflys in my stomach like a schoolboy , almost like I feel like its going to effect ME financially !
    ENFIDL:
    Can't wait till this is resolved either and I actually hate the colts. Its a big NFL Story no matter who you pull for.
    ENFIDL:
    boydmcgowan:
    The Sniper:
    ENFIDL:

I do like what you're saving but I don't think Manning would be willing to take the pay cut to stay in Indy. I think it comes down to a I built this franchise to where it is and the stadium it plays in you owe me the money or let me go. I could be way off base but the way those two have been playing each other in the media it makes me feel like he wouldn't be willing to restructure it enough to where they'd be able to have both and address the teams other needs.
    Just noticed this, sorry for not getting back to you earlier man.

I get what your saying and could see someone using that line of thinking. The irony if Manning does think that way is that pride, on Mannings part, would be bad for both player and organization. I mean he'll be good no matter where he plays but I'm don't think you can just pick up the player and drop him into another situation, like the jets, and expect the same results.

Even though I hate the colts, I'd like to see them resolve it so that he does restructure to stay there. More than anything though, I want to see MUCH less of Jim Irsay on TV.
  • BombayBombay Posts: 1,207
    ESPN.......reporting to cut him loose.......let the bidding begin.....
    Bombay:
    WOW. Gene, as a fellow football fan, I'm sorry for the loss of your franchise QB. He was one of the best and now wil have to try and do it in another jersey. Its never easy to see. I feel for you brother.
    boydmcgowan:
    Bombay:
    WOW. Gene, as a fellow football fan, I'm sorry for the loss of your franchise QB. He was one of the best and now wil have to try and do it in another jersey. Its never easy to see. I feel for you brother.

Thanks bro ... Seems I heard that Manning and Irsay are flying back from Florida to Indy tonight on Irsays jet . Maybe they have reached an agreemant already to re-structure . I think I'm gonna be sick !!!
    Damn man ... I wonder where Purofreak ( Jason ) is going to pop up and terrorize me from about this ? Anyone heard from him latly ?
  • deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    i hope my seachickens do not take him.
    I just hope he doesn't land in the AFC South !!!