Options

Gardens

RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
Who grows them and do you have photos?
Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    Mine is started for the year. Potatoes, collards and cabbage in now. Tomatoes and peppers started including Butch T Trinidad and Ghost Jolokia. One pepper I'm growing this year as A novelty is called Peter Pepper. I'll let you use your imagination on what it looks like. I generally grow cucumbers and squash along with several more old time favorites. What's in your garden?
  • Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Potatoes, really? How large of a plot does that take?

We moved into a new house last year and have had too much going on to mess with a garden, but we had one at our last house and I miss having one....maybe next year. Tomatoes and cucumbers were always the staple, with either squash or zuccini (or both) and brocolli which did surprisingly well - late season i think. My wife also planted some type of lettuce that was awesome - i know that might sound wierd but this stuff had a little spice to it and was better than any plain ol' lettuce I've ever had. Grew a few cantaloupes one year also that turned out great.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    I always grow several variety of tomato, along with what I call grill vegetables, Eggplant zucchini, several types of squash, and carrots. All types of peppers from Green Bell to Cayenne. And Strawberries, Lots of strawberries.... Radishes (because they are easy and plentiful) and peas and beans. I even let the rabbits in the neighborhood visit my garden, they need to eat too.
  • Options
    Heavy:
    Potatoes, really? How large of a plot does that take?

We moved into a new house last year and have had too much going on to mess with a garden, but we had one at our last house and I miss having one....maybe next year. Tomatoes and cucumbers were always the staple, with either squash or zuccini (or both) and brocolli which did surprisingly well - late season i think. My wife also planted some type of lettuce that was awesome - i know that might sound wierd but this stuff had a little spice to it and was better than any plain ol' lettuce I've ever had. Grew a few cantaloupes one year also that turned out great.

Each of my potato plots are small, only eight by twelve feet, but I generally get about sixty to one hundred pounds per plot. As the plants grow past the six inch mark they need hilling. Every time they grow higher more hilling is needed. This way your growing in A controled vertical bed. More potatoes per square foot. And one thing is for sure, no store bought potato even comes close to the texture and taste of fresh grown.
  • Options
    kaspera79:
    I always grow several variety of tomato, along with what I call grill vegetables, Eggplant zucchini, several types of squash, and carrots. All types of peppers from Green Bell to Cayenne. And Strawberries, Lots of strawberries.... Radishes (because they are easy and plentiful) and peas and beans. I even let the rabbits in the neighborhood visit my garden, they need to eat too.

Now thats what I call A garden.
  • Options
    jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i have 2 blueberry bushes that are in a pretty big containers, about 3 years old, they grow and make a few but does anyone know if they would do better if planted directly in the ground? these are a varitey good for my area and the ones they do make are delicious just not that many
  • Options
    djbeeniedjbeenie Posts: 469
    Everything try to grow other than grass (not the grass you smoke) tends to die. Otherwise my lawn is pretty killer though. lol
  • Options
    jj20030:
    i have 2 blueberry bushes that are in a pretty big containers, about 3 years old, they grow and make a few but does anyone know if they would do better if planted directly in the ground? these are a varitey good for my area and the ones they do make are delicious just not that many

They would definitely grow better in the ground. They need space for the roots to develop.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Usually potato's , corn , green beans , peas , squash , tomato's , few bell peppers , turnips . We cook potato's and turnips tpgether and mash together like mashed potato's - gives the dish a very unique flavor with butter salt and pepper ... delicious ! Will also do water melons and cantaloupe's and cucumbers . I personally don't like lettuce but will do a few for the wife and my sister , same thing with cabbage .
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish we had more space and could do a big garden but unfortunately we're limited to potted plants only - all we have are some herbs (mint, basil, chives, oregano) and green onions going right now.
    We plan on adding cilantro and a few more herbs and a few tomato and pepper plants soon.
    We've also considered trying to grow a lemon tree and a lime tree but we don't have a good place to keep them inside during the winter months....so those are out of the question right now.

However, the (soon-to-be) in-laws garden - now that's another story:
    Peppers, potatos, tomatos, asparagus, cabbage, lettuce, all types of squash from zuchinni to pumpkin, sweet corn, garlic, wine grapes, apple trees, peach trees. And I'm sure I'm forgetting something.
    Needless to say, they have a kick a$$ garden and it gives us something to aspire to.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• Options
    gmill880:
    We cook potato's and turnips tpgether and mash together like mashed potato's - gives the dish a very unique flavor with butter salt and pepper ... delicious !
    I've never tried that combo but it sounds good. I've had potatos and cauliflower mashed together - ever tried that?
    And it sounds like you got a nice garden with a good selection of produce. I love getting fresh fruits and veggies from either our garden, our in-laws or the farmer's market.
    I won't even buy "fresh" tomatos from the grocery store anymore because they just don't taste the same as the "home-grown" tomatos.

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv:
    gmill880:
    We cook potato's and turnips tpgether and mash together like mashed potato's - gives the dish a very unique flavor with butter salt and pepper ... delicious !
    I've never tried that combo but it sounds good. I've had potatos and cauliflower mashed together - ever tried that?
    And it sounds like you got a nice garden with a good selection of produce. I love getting fresh fruits and veggies from either our garden, our in-laws or the farmer's market.
    I won't even buy "fresh" tomatos from the grocery store anymore because they just don't taste the same as the "home-grown" tomatos.
    Tomato worms are hands down the CREEPIEST THINGS EVER!
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielzreyes:
    Tomato worms are hands down the CREEPIEST THINGS EVER!
    Never seen one in real life but just googled it and that thing is creepy....thanks, now I'm gonna have nightmares LOL.

And it just seems like the grocery store tomatos have no flavor to them - I'm assuming it's because the grocery store tomatos are grown using hydroponics and not in soil. I'm guessing the soil helps add some flavors to them.

• Options
    jgibv:
    gmill880:

Never tried the potatos and cauliflower but that sounds pretty good to , need to try that , thanks .
  • Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Planting snowballs this year !
  • Options
    Two photos of my garden space.The hoops are for growing running beans. No bending over. The onions in the foreground are Egyptian Walking Onions. They multiply by growing new sets on top of two to three foot high stems and then falling over and rooting where they fall. Sometimes if the conditions are right they will walk three times in one season.

• Options
    Beans, squash and cucumbers are going into the ground tomorrow morning. I may loose some plants to frost but think of the early vegetables I'll enjoy while others are planting.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been thinking of putting in about a half acre of macaroni. If it does well, next year I might add some linguine.
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    I've been thinking of putting in about a half acre of macaroni. If it does well, next year I might add some linguine.

Let me know how that turned out. I might try some hamburger plants next year.
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RBeckom:
    jlmarta:

Hee Hee! Ain't life fun? No point in gettin' all serious about it, right? :-)
  • Options
    Planting onions next week ... and the garden grows ; )
  • Options
    ENFIDLENFIDL Posts: 5,836
    Wish I had somewhere to put a garden at my house. Unfortunately my backyard is way too small. The fiance and I did plant a bunch of flowers in the front yard last week though. They're growing in quite nicely
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    RBeckom:
    jlmarta:

:-)
  • Options
    jlmarta:
    RBeckom:
    jlmarta:

Thats the way I see it.
    :-)
  • Options
    Good rain is falling today. Blue Lake pole beans are starting to grow by my hoop frame. Tomatoes are about ready to place in they're final growing location. Collards and cabbage are looking good. Sprouting cucumber and squash seed now. Now it's time to start pepper and tobacco seed. Looks like it's going to be A great year for gardening.
  • Options
    Tobacco is looking good now. Probably transplant into larger containers later this week. Trying Kentucky Burly this year along with Pennsylvania Red, Connecticut Broad leaf, Habano, Florida Sumatra, Kelly Broad leaf, Brown leaf and A few I have forgotten and will post later. From the looks of it it's gonna be A great year.
  • Options
    Looking like Spring now. Still A lot of work to be done.

Potatoes are about ready to mulch in. These are Pontiac Red.
  • Options
    These will definitely heat things up A notch.

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Wish I had your spread!
  • Options
    Looks like it's going to frost tonight. Got to get up early in the morning and get the sprinklers going.