Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Journey to Chateau de Fuente Opus X

I recieved the "Journey to Chateau de Fuente" Opus X.  I was like a little kid at christmas! Nice presentation! It came with a CD of original music by Arturo Sandoval, kind of a mixture of jazz and mariachi music. A pictorial book with pics of the Chateau and man can you say BEAutiful! It came with 4 Opus X's, 1 forbidden and three other sizes. The smoking experience: It was creamy, it was dreamy, it was NIRVANA! This was my first experience with OpusX and what can I say other than it WAS Worth IT! I smoked two (not on the same day) and gave one away to a friend, the other I am aging for awhile until I get the urge to smoke it. Fellas, I got to say This was the Holy Grail of cigars and I held it in my hand,  Robert

"Happiness is a long ash".

Comments

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Just ordered a set of these. Can't wait to try one, but want to give them as much age as possible too.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

I tried to wait but I just could not restrain myself. I am aging one and I have another set coming to me. How long can you age a cigar BTW? This next group I plan on aging, oh I so wish I could order a box of these! Is this your first experience with Opus X? It was mine and they were so sweeet, however, the second one made me sick,but I enjoyed it right up to the time I hurled (he he!)  Robert

• Options
    If stored properly, they should keep for years (CA reviews cigars that are 40 to 50 years old sometimes). We all wish we could afford a box of these smokes, but the price is a little on the steep side for most budgets. If you age them, in time they should mellow quite a bit and not give you that sick feeling when you have one. I'm talking years of age though. I've had the opus perfexion #5 and the belicoso ****. Both were great smokes, but I preferred the perfexion. These tend to be better in a smaller ring gauge due to the top notch wrapper used on them.
  • Options
    robert69165robert69165 Posts: 219

Thanks for the info Rob, I don't think I could have the restraint or the patience to age them for 40-50 years, I'd have to smoke them after a week or so, however, the one I have left and the ones I'll be recieving I plan on aging for a month or so (If, I can make it that long ; ). Robert

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I've been eying the charity box.. though it's quite spendy.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    phobicsquirrel:
    I've been eying the charity box.. though it's quite spendy.
    I thought about it too but for the price, you can get a lot more cigars. For instance, you can get the GoF humidor with 30 cigars for $999. However, the charity box has a lot of different sizes not offered and I believe the rare Maduro OpusX are included too. I can't justify the price and I have no way to keep them fresh.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I've got a few OpusX hanging around, though i've never tried them. I hope when i do i can set the hype aside and form my own opinion. Same with the GOF and Anejo, just ordered my first ones of those and theyre resting.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Jetmech_63:
    I've got a few OpusX hanging around, though i've never tried them. I hope when i do i can set the hype aside and form my own opinion. Same with the GOF and Anejo, just ordered my first ones of those and theyre resting.

which Anejo did you get Vinny
  • Options
    Jetmech_63:
    which GOF did you get? I like the don carlos a little more than the carlito but they are both damn good cigars. I had a Anejo and liked that, I'm glad cause I stocked up. Hopefully this december I can get a box. and maybe a opus box.. (hoping)
  • Options
    robert69165:

Thanks for the info Rob, I don't think I could have the restraint or the patience to age them for 40-50 years, I'd have to smoke them after a week or so, however, the one I have left and the ones I'll be recieving I plan on aging for a month or so (If, I can make it that long ; ). Robert

lol that's a long time. I've heard from a lot of people that opus's are best with at least a year in the 68 rh range. up or down a little. they are still good if earlier than that but most say a year or two or longer is best. I would at least save a few and let them rest. I have a good amount of opus's in all sizes including the forbidden 2004 x which I have all resting. I should have tried one when I first got them but didn't. I might crack one open come the summer and see.
  • Options
    Squirrel, I say do it. You know it's gonna be a fantastic smoke. Here's my recipe for a nice steak dinner before your forbidden x.

Go out and buy yourself a good Filet steak. Get it fresh from a butcher - trust me, it'll be worth the little extra cash. While you're there, pick up a lemon, orange and some heavy cream. On the way back, grab yourself a nip of cognac (or the whole bottle if you drink the stuff - I recommend Remy or Hennessy). If you don't have garlic powder, sage, rosemary and thyme, and some butter, pick those up at the supermarket too.

Start by adding 1 part cognac and 1 part water to a small saucepan and simmer on a low heat. Add some salt and pepper and some fresh lemon and orange zest (not much, just a teaspoon of each). Once you get the aroma of the cognac, start adding the heavy cream, little by little.

Onto the steak - start this while the sauce is simmering.
    Melt the butter and add a pinch of the garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme (finely crushed) - mix that up and rub the butter into the steak. Throw that in the oven on a low broil and keep an eye on the sauce, stirring occasionally and adding heavy cream until you have a fairly thick consistency (it will thicken more as it cools - remember, you want it to boil a little). Flip the steak to get both sides and once it's a nice medium rare to medium, it's done. Pour some of the cognac cream sauce over the steak and crush some fresh black pepper over it.

You've got yourself a nice meal that'll go perfectly with a hearty red wine or glass of cognac before your Opus.

That's my cooking lesson for today kids.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I got the Anejo Reserva # 50 and the GOF Don Carlos Robusto. I would have gotten a Carlito as well but my budget was shot between those and the other sticks i ordered so i'll get it sometime in the future. I dont mind spending a bit more if the cigar is worth it, hoping they are worth it :)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Dang Rob, that sounds goood.

I purchased two Opus X cigars almost a year ago, last April it would be, and have been patiently forgetting about them. Since then, I've traded for two (thank you Rob) and have been gifted one (thank you kas), the **** and a Perfecxion X, respectively. I may smoke one of the year old ones this summer, I have a Perfecxion #4 and a Fuente Fuente...then again, I may just forget about them for another year. One thing I know for sure, I am looking forward to the day I light one up.
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    I have an Opus X robusto and a GoF that have been resting about four months. I'm waiting for something nice to celebrate before I light them up.
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I got a few OpusX in the coffins. I think I bought them in 2005 or 2006. I believe I have 2 Lanceros left and 3 Robustos. They were part of those Forbidden X gift sets they put out. Usually 4 for $150.

I have a few others that I bought last year at a local B&M. Won't smoke them for a Long, Long time!
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    Squirrel, I say do it. You know it's gonna be a fantastic smoke. Here's my recipe for a nice steak dinner before your forbidden x.

Go out and buy yourself a good Filet steak. Get it fresh from a butcher - trust me, it'll be worth the little extra cash. While you're there, pick up a lemon, orange and some heavy cream. On the way back, grab yourself a nip of cognac (or the whole bottle if you drink the stuff - I recommend Remy or Hennessy). If you don't have garlic powder, sage, rosemary and thyme, and some butter, pick those up at the supermarket too.

Start by adding 1 part cognac and 1 part water to a small saucepan and simmer on a low heat. Add some salt and pepper and some fresh lemon and orange zest (not much, just a teaspoon of each). Once you get the aroma of the cognac, start adding the heavy cream, little by little.

Onto the steak - start this while the sauce is simmering.
    Melt the butter and add a pinch of the garlic, rosemary, sage and thyme (finely crushed) - mix that up and rub the butter into the steak. Throw that in the oven on a low broil and keep an eye on the sauce, stirring occasionally and adding heavy cream until you have a fairly thick consistency (it will thicken more as it cools - remember, you want it to boil a little). Flip the steak to get both sides and once it's a nice medium rare to medium, it's done. Pour some of the cognac cream sauce over the steak and crush some fresh black pepper over it.

You've got yourself a nice meal that'll go perfectly with a hearty red wine or glass of cognac before your Opus.

That's my cooking lesson for today kids.
    damn rob, I'm trying that, thanks man
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    somewhere in my aging humidor i have an OpusX **** with about 2+ years on it.
    i also have GoF Don Carlos with about 3+ years on it.

someday ill smoke em... not sure when though.