Home General Discussion

My Bullet Punch

I've had a few people ask me about my punch so i figured i'd share a few pics of it alongside tonight's smoke, a Diesel Shorty.
The punch itself is a 30-30 rifle shell from several years ago when i went shooting with my grandfather. Before i ever used it i cleaned it THOROUGHLY inside and out, then i took a file and sharpened the tip. Viola, i have a punch! Now for the pics-

And lastly of the Shorty next to the punch-

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    That's badaZZ, Tay! Nothing like using something with a bit of sentimental value.
  • taythegibstaythegibs Posts: 2,025
    Thanks, im currently working on how to put it on a keychain, thinking about drilling out or removing the primer and somehow linking it there, just havent been able to figure it all out yet!

Maybe a small snap ring to go in the indention between the rim and body of the cartridge? If you used one with external ears, you could thread a key ring through it.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    You could use a screw-eye, screwed into the spent primer. Once it's screwed in, put a drop of epoxy on the inside to keep it from backing out.
    Steve2010:
    You could use a screw-eye, screwed into the spent primer. Once it's screwed in, put a drop of epoxy on the inside to keep it from backing out.

+1. Hadn't thought of that. Good idea, bro.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Toombes:
    Steve2010:

I have my moments :-D
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @taythegibs - that's a sweet punch dude. I don't usually use a punch but if I had that, I'd use it everytime.
    Real nice.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. Question - how do you handle caps that get stuck inside? Or do they?

Steve2010:
    Toombes:
    Steve2010:

I have my moments :-D
    Good idea, most likely what ill end up doing, probably have some in the outbuilding...

The Sniper:
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing the pics with us. Question - how do you handle caps that get stuck inside? Or do they?

I always have a pen or pencil with me so i use that too hook it and pull it out, if it gets too deep ill have to think of something else...
    I did some digging and this is what i have come up with-

its not yet secured internally because im not sure itll stay like this.