Home Non Cigar Related

Mediation Lessons Learned

In an effort to help us all gain the most out of the Sniper's Gripe Thread I recently started, I thought it might be a good idea to post a list of lessons learned from the mediations in their own thread. My thought is to post the lessons learned by adding to them in this first post, so as A) not to let them get lost in the shuffle of the Sniper's Gripe thread and B) to help forum members avoid similar issue / mistakes in the future. I will bump the thread as these are added. Thank you all again for your support.

MEDIATION LESSONS LEARNED

- It is in keeping with the traditions of the forums that if you receive a gift or service from a BOTL, you may wish to reciprocate in some manner. While this is not strictly necessary, it is in good form and can avoid bad feelings. This suggestion is meant to apply mainly to one-on-one interactions and NOT "special occasion" type dealings (e.g. newbie bombs, congratulations for Birthday or new babies, get well, post count, etc).

- Even when a member insists it is not necessary, if you allude to sending them a thank you of some form for their gesture to you, ensure you follow thru. Better to be hollared at for sending someone a kindness even when it was waved off, than to risk possible hurt feelings of the "He said he was gonna do it but never did..." variety.

Comments

• GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Not sure if this is the place for comments but I have to say I disagree a bit with this. A gift is exactly that, a gift. When you send a gift the sender should not expect anything in return. If you do expect something in return its no longer a gift, its a trade.
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Goldy:
    Not sure if this is the place for comments but I have to say I disagree a bit with this. A gift is exactly that, a gift. When you send a gift the sender should not expect anything in return. If you do expect something in return its no longer a gift, its a trade.
    Funny thing you mention that Goldy, PM to you Sniper.
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    kaspera79:
    Goldy:
    Funny thing you mention that Goldy, PM to you Sniper.
    Oh no, what did I do now?
  • The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    Good point, editing...

Thanks for the input guys! :-)

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Good work Glen. I know the need for this thread sucks, but it shows a certain level of democracy. I've never expected anything in return, never do. When someone hits me, I do keep them in mind and keep a close eye out for a chance to return fire but in a manner of comraderie...not expectation. Cheers
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Good manners will always have A positive influence. Well that it be mentioned. Great thread.
  • gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    I like this idea Glen .