Home Non Cigar Related

iPhone help

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've got a 3G S iPhone and just lost my wi-fi connection here at home. Tried resetting it but now it's asking for my password which I forgot long ago. Any way to reset my password? I can't seem to find a way. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.....

Comments

• y2pascoey2pascoe Posts: 1,727 ✭✭
    You will need to log into your home router and reset the key. If you're not sure how to log into your router, open a web browser and try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Then navigate to the wireless security section.

Hope that helps.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Terrific, I'll give that a try. Thanks a million, Mike.
  • Gaetano7890Gaetano7890 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭
    If that doesn't work call your provider and they will give you your password.
    y2pascoe:
    You will need to log into your home router and reset the key. If you're not sure how to log into your router, open a web browser and try 192.168.0.1 or 192.168.1.1. Then navigate to the wireless security section.

Hope that helps.

Google says it can't open 192.168.0.1 and at 192.168.1.1 I get a box asking for a username and password. If I had the password I wouldn.t need to be doing this. :-)

Hmmmm...
    jlmarta:
    y2pascoe:

Hope that helps.

Google says it can't open 192.168.0.1 and at 192.168.1.1 I get a box asking for a username and password. If I had the password I wouldn.t need to be doing this. :-)

Hmmmm...
    Try username: administrator or admin

By default the password should be left blank...you hope.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    You can do a hard reset. Should be a lil button on your router to press to reset the router to all default settings. then you would have to go in using one of the IP's given and redo your security settings and make a new password
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a laptop or something still connected to your wi-fi? If so, view properties of your wireless connection. It should show you the router name and the password box will show "********". There should be a check-box beneath that that says "show characters" or something like that. Check it and that will change the "******" to the actual password so you can see it.
  • krebsiekrebsie Moderator Posts: 86 admin
    Also, usually if you go through a quick set up when it was intalled and don't change anything during that set up the password defaults to one of the numbers on the back of the router. I am not sure which one, but I believe it is like 13 digits long and is alpha numeric.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    y2pascoe:
    jlmarta:
    y2pascoe:

Hope that helps.

Hmmmm...
    Try username: administrator or admin

By default the password should be left blank...you hope.
    Or both the username and pass are admin as some of the newer routers are doing.
    Heavy:
    Do you have a laptop or something still connected to your wi-fi? If so, view properties of your wireless connection. It should show you the router name and the password box will show "********". There should be a check-box beneath that that says "show characters" or something like that. Check it and that will change the "******" to the actual password so you can see it.

Okay, with the exception of a hard reset, I've tried all these things without success. When I check the properties as suggested, it says I'm connected and firewalled but I find no place where it shows the router name and a password box. I'm evidently doing something wrong but I don't know what.

If my PC is still connected but I can't get anything but 3G on my iPhone, I would think I'm screwed unless I can come up with whatever original password was set on my iPhone to connect to my router. I'm such a dumbkopf when it comes to this technical BS......
    Is your PC hardwired, or is it also using your wireless? If it's wireless let me know if this is how you got to 'properties': Go to the bottom right corner of your desktop where it has the 'bars' showing how strong your wireless connection is (hopefully your windows setup is like mine - if not then i have no clue!). OK, then click on it once to see your Wireless Network Connection. RIGHT CLICK on that to select 'properties'. Hopefully that will open up a box with a Security tab. Click that and it should show 'security type' with 'network security key'. That's where the "show characters" box is.

Again, that's how mine is setup, hopefully yours is too. I'm not much of a computer guy, so if that doesn't work you'll have to get one of our techies here to help out further!
    Heavy:
    Is your PC hardwired, or is it also using your wireless? If it's wireless let me know if this is how you got to 'properties': Go to the bottom right corner of your desktop where it has the 'bars' showing how strong your wireless connection is (hopefully your windows setup is like mine - if not then i have no clue!). OK, then click on it once to see your Wireless Network Connection. RIGHT CLICK on that to select 'properties'. Hopefully that will open up a box with a Security tab. Click that and it should show 'security type' with 'network security key'. That's where the "show characters" box is.

Again, that's how mine is setup, hopefully yours is too. I'm not much of a computer guy, so if that doesn't work you'll have to get one of our techies here to help out further!

It's wireless but it seems to be working fine. At least the little lights on the modem are all flashing as normal. And there isn't any indication of signal strength in my system tray down in the lower right of my screen. I believe the problem is solely in my iPhone. That's where I keep trying to log back into my wi-fi but, without a password, I guess I'm screwed.

Thanks for trying, though, guys. I appreciate it.
    Well, crap. Sorry man, i was hoping that would be the ticket. The only other thing I can think of is that my iphone password is the same as my itunes account by default. If you have itunes maybe you can retrieve your password that way(?) However, I don't have to use my iphone password to log on to wifi (just need the wifi router password/encryption code). And that is the absolute extent of my knowledge! Maybe someone else has some other ideas.
    jlmarta:
    Heavy:

It's wireless but it seems to be working fine. At least the little lights on the modem are all flashing as normal. And there isn't any indication of signal strength in my system tray down in the lower right of my screen. I believe the problem is solely in my iPhone. That's where I keep trying to log back into my wi-fi but, without a password, I guess I'm screwed.

Thanks for trying, though, guys. I appreciate it.
    Were you able to log into 192.168.1.1 at all? If you were and you give me the make and model of the router, I could probably look up and tell you how to update wireless access key.
    y2pascoe:
    Were you able to log into 192.168.1.1 at all? If you were and you give me the make and model of the router, I could probably look up and tell you how to update wireless access key.

No, it kept asking for a username and password and I tried everything and nothing but I couldn't log in. I may be forced to try a hard reset but I'm not comfortable with that notion. As a last resort I may call my computer guru and see if he can help.

Thanks for trying, Bro.
    jlmarta:
    y2pascoe:

No, it kept asking for a username and password and I tried everything and nothing but I couldn't log in. I may be forced to try a hard reset but I'm not comfortable with that notion. As a last resort I may call my computer guru and see if he can help.

Thanks for trying, Bro.
    Ah, bummer. Sorry we couldn't get you through this. Your guru can probably hard boot your router and then get all your wireless devices hooked back up, so there's light at the end of the tunnel!
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    jlmarta:
    y2pascoe:

Thanks for trying, Bro.
    Have you tried using admin for both username and password after you reset it? As far as I can remember, every router resets to username "admin" (without quotes) and "admin" for password (without quotes)
    Hey, guys, the problem is solved. I just got off the phone with Cisco support after a long, trying conversation with a lady in India who I could hardly understand. I asked to be transferred to someone in the USA but she said that wasn't possible. Long story short - after all this chit-chat and following instructions she gave me to type into my 'puter, she finally said she couldn't help me unless I wanted to pay $29.95 for her to tell me how to reset my whole router setup.

The money wasn't the issue - but I tried telling her that my router was working fine with my PC and all I needed was the password required to log back into the wi-fi on my iPhone. She still wanted $29.95.

So, I thanked her, said "no thanks", and ended the call.

Then, I went to Cisco Connect online where I found instructions on how to either find what I was looking for or change the password completely. A few key-clicks later the answer popped right up on my screen. Problem solved - $29.95 saved.

Thanks for all the help and encouragement, guys. Much appreciated.
  • DirewolfDirewolf Posts: 3,493
    Awesome. Glad to see you got it all fingered out
    Good deal man - glad you got it figured out.

I had to deal with a customer service rep recently for my new AT&T Uverse that was in India that I could barely understand. They're just reading from a script and have absolutely no clue. Got my local repair guy to straighten the problem out in no time.