Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    blurrblurr Posts: 962 ✭✭
    beatnic:
    I think I will have to start breaking some laws. I drool every time I read one of your reviews. Don't stop.
    need any help feel free to pm me. Its slowly dissipating albeit less focus than prevention.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeep. I appreciate your kind words. The aging makes a huge difference in a cigar, specially for a well made Habano.
    jeep edson:
    wow rip. another beautiful write up. i can't wait for it to be a cigar i have in my collection so i can see if i taste any of the things you mention. you have a hell of a pallate my friend. just to be able to pick up all those flavors is actually amazing.
  • Options
    Thanks bigharpoon. IMO El Principe is the best cigar in SCDLH'S regular line. It has a unique aged sweetness to it which I cannot find in any other Cuban cigar.
    bigharpoon:
    Great write-up as usual, Rip. The SCDLH is at the top of my radar as well. I'm looking forward to having some El Principe in the cooler some day, I've read nothing but positive things about them.
  • Options
    Jared, you should smoke one now so you can compare later how it changes in complexity after few years of aging.
    blurr:
    I grabbed a box of the Principes last year. Not ready yet but I still enjoy opening the box and smelling it every now and then. And the SCdlH's are really dark usually. Can't wait until they're ready in a few years.
  • Options
    HI Glen, I sincerely appreciate your nice comments. BOTLs like you keeping me motivated smoking and review cigars. I am simply honored to share my reviews though I am not expert in this field. I just share my amateur smoking experience. Thanks again!
    phobicsquirrel:
    Haven't been on all that much but I'm happy your keeping up the reviews! Very stunning and a true pleasure to keep reading on your experiences. Thanks for keeping all of our butts on the edge of our seats!
  • Options
    LOL...didn't mean to encourage you to break the law. All I can say is life is too short missing out some great Cuban cigars. I won't stop as long as you enjoy reading them. I appreciate your motivational comments...thank you!
    beatnic:
    I think I will have to start breaking some laws. I drool every time I read one of your reviews. Don't stop.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

The man who started the power cigar trend has blended a milder version of his most famous smoke. Carlos Fuente Jr., creator of the Fuente Fuente OpusX, the high-octane Dominican puro that has been one of the most sought-after cigars in the world since its debut in 1995, has created a somewhat more easygoing version of the smoke. Called Fuente Fuente OpusX The Angel’s Share, the line is made with old wrappers from the middle of a tobacco plant, rather than high-priming leaves that grow near the top. “It’s a totally different blend,” Fuente Jr. told Cigar Aficionado during an interview at the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers trade show earlier this month. “For Fuente Fuente OpusX, we always used the very top of the plant [for the cigar’s wrapper leaves]. The yields were very low. Production was low. Classically, the true wrapper leaves came from the heart of the plant.”
    Photobucket
    Fuente said that he has been holding onto wrapper leaves taken from the heart of the plant—the middle primings traditionally used for cigar-industry wrapper—from his family farm in El Caribe, Dominican Republic, called Château de la Fuente. “We were putting it aside,” Fuente said of the wrapper leaves, which are light tan in color. “We selected the best of the best for this cigar.”
    Photobucket
    Cigar Aficionado smoked a sample Fuente Fuente OpusX Angel’s Share cigar, in the corona gorda format. The cigar had some of the trademark Fuente Fuente OpusX leather notes, but with less red pepper spice than found in traditional FFOX cigars. The cigar was balanced, elegant, and slightly sweet, with cedary flavors that evolved into cocoa notes later in the smoke. It had a nutty and slightly leathery finish that lasted for a long, long time. The term “angel’s share” is common in the spirits world. Makers of Cognac, Scotch, Bourbon and other brown, long-aged spirits lose a great portion of their product to evaporation. The lost liquid is said to be enjoyed by the angels in heaven, and has been dubbed “the angel’s share.”[Source: Cigar Aficionado]
    Photobucket
    Opus X Angel’s Share is part of Fuente’s 100 years Anniversary release. The wrapper color is very light compares to other Opus X cigars. It is almost like toffee color and close to an aged Connecticut wrapper. It has smooth surface with few visible veins. The cigar is also slightly box pressed. It has two bands but the color is lighter than regular Opus X band and dominates by more golden hue. The second band says Angel's share, the other side of first band says Destino Siglo. Other than that it is a regular Opus X band. The cigar feels good in hand and I couldn't find any soft spots. It has the perfect spongy feeling. The wrapper has a sweet raisin, slight damp wood with little aromatic spice scent. The cold draw is perfect. The flavor and aroma profile is combination of cedar, mild earth, mild leather, raisin, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla flavors with distinctive cinnamon, nutmeg, nut(almond) aroma at the back. The cigar has a wonderful creamy honey, brown sugar, fruity sweetness with a clean peppery (75%white: 25%black) spiciness thorough the nose. It has a very nice mild aromatic mix spice finish as well. It is not an overly complex cigar but complex enough to enjoy the smoke. This is the first Opus X, I felt mild in strength at the beginning then pick up its strength gradually close to medium.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts with mild strength- cedar, mild earth, mild leather, sun dried raisin flavors with distinctive nutmeg aroma at the back. It is a shock to see an Opus X stats with such a mild strength. The cigar has almost 75% 1/3 elements of a regular Opus X but in a mild body which is very interesting to me. I enjoy complex flavors and aroma over strength. The texture of the smoke is completely creamy, round but not thick. There is no sign of harshness at all. Most of the cigars release little harshness at 1/3 but not Angel's share. The retrohale is very enjoyable with 75%white: 25%black peppery spiciness through the nose. Regular Opus X has toastier nut finish at this stage but in Angel's share nuttiness is more flat/stale kind of almond finish. However, it is fairly a good start but not overly complex. My mouth has no tingly feeling and the finish is short. The cigar loses a point here in complexity with short finish.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The best part of this cigar is it's creaminess with sweet finish. At this stage the cigar is more creamy but still mild in strength. The 1/3 flavor profile is completely there but it is dominated with more distinctive cedar, mild earth flavors. In addition it has also the vanilla, cocoa, mild milk chocolate flavors with cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of cardamom spicy aroma at the back. The sweetness is amazing with creamy honey and brown sugar. The sweetness is very clean and crispy. The cigar definitely gains a point in complexity at this stage. The retrohale is really enjoyable thought the nose with peppery spiciness (75:25/white: black pepper). The top of my tongue has a super mild zing of spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of cream and round texture, the back of my tongue has no aftertaste at all. Still the finish is short. The cigar failed to wow me with its short finish. Usually, at this stage Opus X gives a long finish and crispy tinglyness inside the mouth but Angel's share is little one dimensional about finish. I am enjoying the retrohale more than the actual smoke. The draw is also slightly tight at this moment. However, I need to mention one thing here that this is completely a different blend than a regular Opus X though it has 75% elements of a Opus X. The strength is still mild-medium but not medium yet.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar improved dramatically in balanced complexity with extreme clean and a crispy sugarcane sweetness. The flavor profile is dominated by distinctive mild chocolate, cocoa, vanilla with creamy almond finish at the back. The strength is medium with longer finish. I am feeling some tinglyness in my mouth with a mix of aromatic sweet-spiciness. The best part at this moment is the sweet-aromatic spiciness. Interestingly the back of my tongue has a slight harsh tobacco finish but it does not undermine the taste of the cigar. The top of my tongue has a strong zing of cardamom spice; the middle of my tongue has the creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma. The clean and crispy sugarcane sweetness is amazing. The finish is longer with mild leathery finish. The complexity has been changing a lot at this moment. I am discovering 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma profiles with each puff. The cigar has good complexity now but it came too late. A lot of smoker may lose interest at the 2/3 stage. Again, the best part of Angel's share is the retrohale. The strength is medium but not fully medium. I have a mix feeling about this cigar. I cannot say this is a great smoke and I will explain the reason why to my final thought.

Final thought: If Arturo Fuente releases this cigar without Opus X band and simply with a new line of Angel's Share band then the disappointment could be less. Of course when they put the Opus X band, the smoker will compare it with a regular Opus X. The cigar has some flavors and aroma of the opus X in certain extends but it is completely different in complexity, balance and finish. Opus X is an established brand with certain expectation and AF failed to deliver the expectation with the Angel's Share. This is a good cigar but does not deserve the regular Opus X status. It will be fairer to introduce with a new line with less MSRP. At the same time, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the retrohale of this cigar is better than the regular Opus X. This is a unique blend with complete different complexity and body. I like the Opus X's distinctive raisin sweet flavor with toasty nutty finish at the back. Angel’s Share does not have that. The nuttiness is more like flat or stale almond kind. I am comparing it very critically because of the Opus X band. Other than that it is a good smoke but not overly complex. I hope I was able to describe it logically.
    Just read this (I am still trying to catch up ... lol). I haven't had this blend yet, can't find any (damn). I wonder, have you had the lost city? I know when they came out a lot of people were dissapointed due to them having the opus label but being not a opus. I personally liked the lost city as it was different. Is this guy like that? I would agree with you though, it is annoying that they take the "opus" name and keep re-blending it. I guess I get it but the Opus line is so well known.
  • Options
    btw I love the pics of that opus!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:

The man who started the power cigar trend has blended a milder version of his most famous smoke. Carlos Fuente Jr., creator of the Fuente Fuente OpusX, the high-octane Dominican puro that has been one of the most sought-after cigars in the world since its debut in 1995, has created a somewhat more easygoing version of the smoke. Called Fuente Fuente OpusX The Angel’s Share, the line is made with old wrappers from the middle of a tobacco plant, rather than high-priming leaves that grow near the top. “It’s a totally different blend,” Fuente Jr. told Cigar Aficionado during an interview at the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers trade show earlier this month. “For Fuente Fuente OpusX, we always used the very top of the plant [for the cigar’s wrapper leaves]. The yields were very low. Production was low. Classically, the true wrapper leaves came from the heart of the plant.”
    Photobucket
    Fuente said that he has been holding onto wrapper leaves taken from the heart of the plant—the middle primings traditionally used for cigar-industry wrapper—from his family farm in El Caribe, Dominican Republic, called Château de la Fuente. “We were putting it aside,” Fuente said of the wrapper leaves, which are light tan in color. “We selected the best of the best for this cigar.”
    Photobucket
    Cigar Aficionado smoked a sample Fuente Fuente OpusX Angel’s Share cigar, in the corona gorda format. The cigar had some of the trademark Fuente Fuente OpusX leather notes, but with less red pepper spice than found in traditional FFOX cigars. The cigar was balanced, elegant, and slightly sweet, with cedary flavors that evolved into cocoa notes later in the smoke. It had a nutty and slightly leathery finish that lasted for a long, long time. The term “angel’s share” is common in the spirits world. Makers of Cognac, Scotch, Bourbon and other brown, long-aged spirits lose a great portion of their product to evaporation. The lost liquid is said to be enjoyed by the angels in heaven, and has been dubbed “the angel’s share.”[Source: Cigar Aficionado]
    Photobucket
    Opus X Angel’s Share is part of Fuente’s 100 years Anniversary release. The wrapper color is very light compares to other Opus X cigars. It is almost like toffee color and close to an aged Connecticut wrapper. It has smooth surface with few visible veins. The cigar is also slightly box pressed. It has two bands but the color is lighter than regular Opus X band and dominates by more golden hue. The second band says Angel's share, the other side of first band says Destino Siglo. Other than that it is a regular Opus X band. The cigar feels good in hand and I couldn't find any soft spots. It has the perfect spongy feeling. The wrapper has a sweet raisin, slight damp wood with little aromatic spice scent. The cold draw is perfect. The flavor and aroma profile is combination of cedar, mild earth, mild leather, raisin, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla flavors with distinctive cinnamon, nutmeg, nut(almond) aroma at the back. The cigar has a wonderful creamy honey, brown sugar, fruity sweetness with a clean peppery (75%white: 25%black) spiciness thorough the nose. It has a very nice mild aromatic mix spice finish as well. It is not an overly complex cigar but complex enough to enjoy the smoke. This is the first Opus X, I felt mild in strength at the beginning then pick up its strength gradually close to medium.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts with mild strength- cedar, mild earth, mild leather, sun dried raisin flavors with distinctive nutmeg aroma at the back. It is a shock to see an Opus X stats with such a mild strength. The cigar has almost 75% 1/3 elements of a regular Opus X but in a mild body which is very interesting to me. I enjoy complex flavors and aroma over strength. The texture of the smoke is completely creamy, round but not thick. There is no sign of harshness at all. Most of the cigars release little harshness at 1/3 but not Angel's share. The retrohale is very enjoyable with 75%white: 25%black peppery spiciness through the nose. Regular Opus X has toastier nut finish at this stage but in Angel's share nuttiness is more flat/stale kind of almond finish. However, it is fairly a good start but not overly complex. My mouth has no tingly feeling and the finish is short. The cigar loses a point here in complexity with short finish.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The best part of this cigar is it's creaminess with sweet finish. At this stage the cigar is more creamy but still mild in strength. The 1/3 flavor profile is completely there but it is dominated with more distinctive cedar, mild earth flavors. In addition it has also the vanilla, cocoa, mild milk chocolate flavors with cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of cardamom spicy aroma at the back. The sweetness is amazing with creamy honey and brown sugar. The sweetness is very clean and crispy. The cigar definitely gains a point in complexity at this stage. The retrohale is really enjoyable thought the nose with peppery spiciness (75:25/white: black pepper). The top of my tongue has a super mild zing of spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of cream and round texture, the back of my tongue has no aftertaste at all. Still the finish is short. The cigar failed to wow me with its short finish. Usually, at this stage Opus X gives a long finish and crispy tinglyness inside the mouth but Angel's share is little one dimensional about finish. I am enjoying the retrohale more than the actual smoke. The draw is also slightly tight at this moment. However, I need to mention one thing here that this is completely a different blend than a regular Opus X though it has 75% elements of a Opus X. The strength is still mild-medium but not medium yet.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar improved dramatically in balanced complexity with extreme clean and a crispy sugarcane sweetness. The flavor profile is dominated by distinctive mild chocolate, cocoa, vanilla with creamy almond finish at the back. The strength is medium with longer finish. I am feeling some tinglyness in my mouth with a mix of aromatic sweet-spiciness. The best part at this moment is the sweet-aromatic spiciness. Interestingly the back of my tongue has a slight harsh tobacco finish but it does not undermine the taste of the cigar. The top of my tongue has a strong zing of cardamom spice; the middle of my tongue has the creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma. The clean and crispy sugarcane sweetness is amazing. The finish is longer with mild leathery finish. The complexity has been changing a lot at this moment. I am discovering 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma profiles with each puff. The cigar has good complexity now but it came too late. A lot of smoker may lose interest at the 2/3 stage. Again, the best part of Angel's share is the retrohale. The strength is medium but not fully medium. I have a mix feeling about this cigar. I cannot say this is a great smoke and I will explain the reason why to my final thought.

Final thought: If Arturo Fuente releases this cigar without Opus X band and simply with a new line of Angel's Share band then the disappointment could be less. Of course when they put the Opus X band, the smoker will compare it with a regular Opus X. The cigar has some flavors and aroma of the opus X in certain extends but it is completely different in complexity, balance and finish. Opus X is an established brand with certain expectation and AF failed to deliver the expectation with the Angel's Share. This is a good cigar but does not deserve the regular Opus X status. It will be fairer to introduce with a new line with less MSRP. At the same time, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the retrohale of this cigar is better than the regular Opus X. This is a unique blend with complete different complexity and body. I like the Opus X's distinctive raisin sweet flavor with toasty nutty finish at the back. Angel’s Share does not have that. The nuttiness is more like flat or stale almond kind. I am comparing it very critically because of the Opus X band. Other than that it is a good smoke but not overly complex. I hope I was able to describe it logically.
    Just read this (I am still trying to catch up ... lol). I haven't had this blend yet, can't find any (damn). I wonder, have you had the lost city? I know when they came out a lot of people were dissapointed due to them having the opus label but being not a opus. I personally liked the lost city as it was different. Is this guy like that? I would agree with you though, it is annoying that they take the "opus" name and keep re-blending it. I guess I get it but the Opus line is so well known.
    Hi Glen, Thanks for your nice comments. Yes, I had Lost City and I agree with you that is is different than the regular Opus X. Opus X is a very good cigar but simply overpriced with tricky marketing promotion. This is a very good cigar but nothing like any regular Opus X. It is simply overpriced and does not deserve $45-50 price tag.
  • Options
    Thanks again Glen!
    phobicsquirrel:
    btw I love the pics of that opus!
  • Options

Cohiba is the flagship brand of Habanos. It was created in 1966 for President Fidel Castro himself and was made at the then top secret but now world famous El Laguito factory. At first, it was only seen outside Cuba as gifts for heads of state and visiting diplomats. Since 1982 Cohiba has been available in limited quantities to the open market. The name is an ancient Taino Indian word for the bunches of tobacco leaves that Columbus first saw being smoked by the original inhabitants of Cuba — the earliest known form of the cigar. The leaves for Cohiba are the “selection of the selection” from the five finest Vegas Finas de Primera in the San Juan y Martinez and San Luis zones of the Vuelta Abajo region. Uniquely amongst Habanos two of Cohiba’s filler leaves, the seco and ligero, undergo a third fermentation in barrels, which adds smoothness to the blend. There are two distinct Lineas (Lines) of Cohiba: the medium to full flavoured Linea Clasica introduced between 1966 and 1989; and the medium flavoured Linea 1492 brought out in 1992 to mark the 500th Anniversary of Columbus’s epic voyage of discovery. Ten years later in 2002, a new size, the Siglo VI, was added to the Linea 1492.
    [Source: CDH]
    Photobucket
    I wanted to smoke something special today and I picked up the Cohiba Siglo VI from 2004 release. It has been aged in perfect condition last eight years. The cigar has a milk chocolate brown wrapper and almost veinless. The surface is very smooth and has a silky feel. It has wood, hay and spice, leather, earth scents on the foot. The cigar feels heavy and solid in hand. The cold draw has white peppery note, vanilla, milk chocolate and aromatic cardamom flavors and aroma. This is also the sing of a long well aged cigar. The cigar is extremely rich, complex with long finish- almost as good as a cigar can be. The flavor and aroma profile is ever changing with hay, wood, dry bean, earth, leather, vanilla, milk chocolate, coffee (Cafe Latte), espresso, mixed dried fruit cake, crispy lemony bite with tons of aromatic cloves, cardamom, anise and nutmeg aroma at the back. The cigar has a wonderful thick, creamy honey like sweetness to it from the start to finish. The burn and draw is impeccable from the start to finish. There is no sign of harshness and the entire smoke has been smooth, creamy and silky.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Fillers: Cuba
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with mild strength but with a blast of aromatic dried fruity and floral aroma. Aged Cuban cigars always start with aromatic blast. There is not a single bite of harshness. It starts with sweet wood (cedar), dry bean, damp earth, mild sweet-spicy leather aroma but taken over by distinctive mild chocolate, fruit cake flavors within 8-10 puffs. The smoke is very clean and smooth. It has a distinctive crispy lemony edge with aromatic anise and nutmeg aroma at the back. The top of my tongue has a super mild spicy zing, the middle of my tongue is full of cream and mouthful silky texture with above aroma and flavors, the back of my tongue is completely clean without any aftertaste. The retrohale has a smooth and delicate white peppery spiciness. Each puff has long finish and I can feel mild tingly feeling in my mouth already- wow! Few cigars can have such a complex start, even with other top Cuban brands. The ash is little flaky. This is expected from an aged cigar. The oil has been almost evaporated and married within the blends. It is also little windy here. The strength is mild to medium, the flavor and aroma is very rich, smooth, fully balanced and extremely complex with long finish. It is a perfect start and declared the quality of a top Cuban cigar. This is why I adore aged Cuban and reserve special respect for top quality Cuban cigar. Apparently, the smoke is in control of my mind and body. It is almost impossible to replicate its classical performance...period.
    Photobucket
    2/3: While getting into the 2/3, I can feel the strength is close to medium but still super creamy and smooth. The full 1/3 flavors and aroma profile is there but slowly taken over by coffee(Cafe Latte) flavors, the signature Cuban aromatic fruity-floral aroma and toasted nut at the back in each puff. The background aroma is the mixed of cardamom-anise-nutmeg but a creamy, thick honey like sweetness shield is around it. It is an ever changing layers and layers of flavors, aroma inside my mouth with long finish. The tingly feeling is getting more noticeable. The smoke is lush, clean, smooth and creamy with rich complexity. It practically changes its flavors and aroma with each puff. This is a phenomenal cigar. The aging does the magic. I am rethrohaling each puff and enjoying its aromatic background with mild-delicate white peppery finish though the nose. There is no aftertaste at the back of my tongue. It is all about flavors and aroma with white peppery spicy finish. My mouth is filled and locked with layers and layers of complex and richness with creamy honey sweetness. One thing I would like to mention here is, this cigar releases it flavors and aroma very strong. Practically, I don't have to think so much to feel it. The strength is straight close to medium. It is simply magical. In fact, I hate to take notes with such a great smoke because it hampers the moment of joy of smoking such a phenomenal cigar.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage the cigar has still the complete flavor and aroma profile of 1/3 and 2/3. How many cigars can retain and hold such a complexity? However, I am detecting an espresso kind of coffee flavor with cloves-cardamom-anise-nutmeg aroma at the back. The creamy-smooth-thick honey sweetness is still there. I just cannot type anymore. The smoke fully captivated me with its rich-complex flavors and aroma with long finish. My entire mouth is full of crispy and tingly feel. I think a cigar simply can't get better as this one. Cohiba Gran Reserva Consecha 2003 is like this. I want to mention that GR 2003 was released in 2009 with aged tobaccos from 2003. This cigar was released in 2004 and got eight years of age in it until now. Gran Reserva is also Siglo VI cigar with aged tobacco from 2003. This cigar has been aged two additional years. Does it make it more superior than Gran Reserva? I don't know how to answer that but it is as good as Gran Reserva at this moment. If you can hold a regular Siglo VI for this long, you will be rewarded. I rarely score a cigar but I will score it with 98 points out of 100 without any hesitation. At the same time, I will say that with 5 years+ more aging, this cigar will get 100 score easily...period.

Final thought: This cigar was a gift from a Cuban friend who is one of the director of Casa del Habano. When he couldn't find a box of Gran Reserva Consecha 2003, he gave me five sticks from 2004 release from his personal collection when I was in Cuba. Usually, my final thought is long with more descriptive words but I am done typing here so I can enjoy the finish properly. I am fully captured with the smoke and captivated with its uniqueness. The people who say negative things about Cuban cigar needs to smoke one of this before they try to promote their business interest. A cigar cannot perform better than this. This is one of the top three best cigars in the world. It's a hammock kind of day after hiking (climbing) all day yesterday. 80 degrees, doves serenading, pool beckoning - paradise!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    bripperbripper Posts: 74 ✭✭
    These ciigars are phenomenal, but best part of review is the backyard. Why leave? I would just stay there and smoke.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Yeah rip, we all need to come to your backyard and herf one of these days!
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    Very nice Rip! The Siglo VI is one of my favorites and with 3+ years with age, they just fantastic! I'm going to light up a Siglo IV in a few weeks, which has just a bit over 3 years on it and hoping for the same results. I know 5 years, the entire Cohiba line is just fantastic, but storing them that long without lighting them up is hard! Great review again!
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review!! These have been on my box list for a while now
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    thanks rip. i am going to have get me a box of the siglos and stash them away. my problem is being able to let them age without smoking them. i am hoping the more i aquire the more i can let age.
  • Options
    How would you compare this with the 4? I had the 4 and thought it was good but worth the price... eh, it's hard to say.
  • Options
    Thanks bripper. I spend most of my free time in my backyard.
    bripper:
    These ciigars are phenomenal, but best part of review is the backyard. Why leave? I would just stay there and smoke.
  • Options
    Hey Roberto, If you come to Nicaragua just let me know. You are welcome to smoke in my backyard. BTW, did you get the La palina Goldie?
    Roberto99:
  • Options
    Hi Shawn, Thanks for your nice comments. Well Siglo IV is also a great smoke. I agree 5+ years age transform the Cubans very enjoyable. I also love Siglo IV. My favorite Siglo cigars are IV and VI. For some reason, I do not like Siglo V.
    zeebra:
    Very nice Rip! The Siglo VI is one of my favorites and with 3+ years with age, they just fantastic! I'm going to light up a Siglo IV in a few weeks, which has just a bit over 3 years on it and hoping for the same results. I know 5 years, the entire Cohiba line is just fantastic, but storing them that long without lighting them up is hard! Great review again!
  • Options
    Thanks Lee. Get them now and let them rest. You will not regret it.
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Nice review!! These have been on my box list for a while now
  • Options
    Your welcome Jeep. If you buy a box of Siglo then buy Siglo IV or VI. Well, you have been collecting a lot lately. This way you will have enough to smoke now and allow to rest 75% for the future.
    jeep edson:
    thanks rip. i am going to have get me a box of the siglos and stash them away. my problem is being able to let them age without smoking them. i am hoping the more i aquire the more i can let age.
  • Options
    Both are very good but I will keep Siglo VI ahead in terms of complexity and finish. Please don't get me wrong, I still love Siglo IV. I have smoked the entire line and prefer IV or VI only.
    phobicsquirrel:
    How would you compare this with the 4? I had the 4 and thought it was good but worth the price... eh, it's hard to say.
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    I just may take you up on that offer someday! yes, I did get the goldies. I've never gotten "banana bread" from a cigar before this one! Smoked 2, gifted one to the BOTL that helped me get them. Planning on letting the others rest until summer. Thanks for the tip!

rzaman:
    Hey Roberto, If you come to Nicaragua just let me know. You are welcome to smoke in my backyard. BTW, did you get the La palina Goldie?
    Roberto99:
  • Options
    rzaman:
    Both are very good but I will keep Siglo VI ahead in terms of complexity and finish. Please don't get me wrong, I still love Siglo IV. I have smoked the entire line and prefer IV or VI only.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Good deal. Yeah I have a few 4's and was eying some 6's a while back. Ordered some behikes instead though. Have to wait a while. The wife hate's when I drop so many bones on cigars since I have so many of them. I keep telling her, hey, I have cigars with over 10 years on them and it's more like an investment!
  • Options
    Glen, just want to repeat my statement from the Dabidoff thread. Few people can wait 10 years on certain cigar but in your case you can. I would say go for a box of Cohiba 1966 not Behike. If you wait five years you will be a big winner. Cohiba 1966 cigars will be out of stock soon. This is a one time release cigar.
    phobicsquirrel:
    rzaman:
    phobicsquirrel:
    Good deal. Yeah I have a few 4's and was eying some 6's a while back. Ordered some behikes instead though. Have to wait a while. The wife hate's when I drop so many bones on cigars since I have so many of them. I keep telling her, hey, I have cigars with over 10 years on them and it's more like an investment!
  • Options
    Hi Roberto, I am glad to know that you also found the banana bread flavor. I felt more like banana-vanilla bread. It is good to see when other smokers found the similer flavors. Please take my offer seriously lol.
    Roberto99:
    I just may take you up on that offer someday! yes, I did get the goldies. I've never gotten "banana bread" from a cigar before this one! Smoked 2, gifted one to the BOTL that helped me get them. Planning on letting the others rest until summer. Thanks for the tip!

rzaman:
    Roberto99:
  • Options

In the Chinese calendar, the sixth of the twelve Chinese signs of the zodiac is characterized as wise and graceful. Integrating these characteristics into an aroma represents a challenge for the Davidoff Master Blender: namely, to combine particularly old tobaccos to successfully create three layers of flavors - from floral nuances reminiscent of honey, to caramel, and finally to peppery notes of wood or nut, whilst also providing a captivating quality.... highly aromatic, with light-medium strength and Cuban thickness, the cigar develops a charming creaminess due to the Ecuadorian binder. It is limited to 4,500 pieces.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    According to the Chinese Zodiac, 2013 is the Year of the Snake. This zodiac sign symbolizes traits such as gracefulness, materialism and intelligence. People who are born under the Year of the Snake are “deep thinker” individuals. They are very analytical when it comes to results and they do not jump into conclusions. When it comes to achieving goals, Snakes always have their own ways around. They will plot and create effective solutions just to reach their objectives. With their intelligence and capability to analyse situations deeply, these individuals can achieve many possibilities in their lives. People who belong to the year of the Snake love to surround their selves with the finest of life. They can be pretty materialistic and usually have high standards. Your Chinese Zodiac is Snake if you were born in the following years; 2001, 1989, 1977, 1965, 1953, 1941, 1929, 1917 and 2013.[Source: Davidoff and other online articles]
    Photobucket
    The cigar has classic look with regular white golden Davidoff band and a deep red year of the snake second band. It is a Churchill size cigar with 48 ring gauge which allows a smoker to enjoy the intensity of a cigar. The hybrid wrapper is dark red mud (almost medium roasted coffee bean) color with few visible veins on the surface. It has cedar, hay scents at the foot. The cold draw has peppery, grass, mild floral, slight dry coffee bean notes and aroma. The presentation is eye catching and stylish. It comes in an octagonal shape, red lacquered wooden box with a velvet lid liner. It contains eight cigars. The cigar is very rich, complex and has a long finish. It has a perfect draw and burn. It is straight a medium bodied cigar. I am really happy to see that Davidoff is not forgetting about smokers like us who love medium bodied, complex and flavorful cigars. Lately, Davidoff has been releasing more and more medium to full, full and big ring gauge cigars. The flavor and aroma profile is a combination of signature Henke musk-earth, fresh spring forest with a lemony twist, grass, cedar, dry bean, toasted nut(honey roasted peanut), black pepper, caramel, milk chocolate, espresso coffee flavors and distinctive cloves aroma. There is also a caramel-honey kind of sweetness to it throughout the smoke. It is completely smooth and burn slowly.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecuador 702 Sun Grown

Binder: San Vicente Seco

Filler: Piloto Seco/Viso, San Vicente Ligero, Hybrid 192 Yamasa Seco
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts with a blast of black pepper. The Henke musk-earthiness is mild. Within 4-5 puffs the musky flavor has been taken over with grass, cedar, dry bean and spring forest freshness with a lemony twist at the back. The cigar is very dry at this stage. It is interesting and little opposite of my like. Within 10-12 puffs the musky flavor changes to wet side with a wonderful lemony twist and very mild wild floral note at the back. The change in complexity is very interesting. The retrohale has an amazing soft black peppery finish though the nose- wow! It is spicy but the delicate peppery softness is welcoming me to inhale the smoke. This is very enjoyable. The ultimate way to enjoy the full flavor and aroma of a cigar is retrohale. During retrohale I am also enjoying a toasted peanut buttery finish at back of the soft spiciness. At the end of 1/3 I am also detecting milk chocolate flavor with a honey roasted peanut sweetness aroma at the back. This is simply amazing. My mouth is full of creamy and zesty smoke without any harshness at the back. The 48 ring gauge is allowing me to enjoy the intense flavors and aroma even more. This is a reason why I love Churchill size and smaller ring gauge in a cigar. The strength is mild to medium with rich flavor and aroma and complexity. Overall it has a very good start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At the midway point, the peppery spiciness has been combined with sweet cedar and wet musky flavors. It is quiet intense and dominating. At the same time, the milk chocolate flavor has been turned into sweet dark chocolate flavor with little more power. This is a great twist in complexity. Of course, Henke practically never disappoint us with his complex blends. The strength is solid medium with smooth, creamy and mouthful texture. Still, there is no sign of harshness at the back. The tobacco has been aged very well. The spiciness is picking up more power but it is locked within a shield of toasted honey covered peanut, lemony note and caramel sweetness. The sweet-peppery spiciness through the nose during retrohale is the best part at this stage. The smoke is quiet intense and its playing around my mouth with a wonderful delicate shift of dancing. The top of my tongue has a clean zing of black peppery spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with creamy texture of smoke with above flavors and aroma and the back of my tongue has a sweet tobacco finish without any single touch of harshness. The smoke is moderately aromatic with cloves aroma. Clove is an interesting spice which has a distinctive aromatic sweet and delicate spiciness. This is awesome!
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The strength is somewhere medium to full but it moves around medium body. I really enjoy this playful strength in a cigar. The full flavor and aroma profile of 2/3 is there but with more upfront dark chocolate and espresso coffee flavors. Another twist in complexity. The espresso flavor is nothing like a Nicaraguan cigar. The espresso flavor is coated with an aromatic clove kind of sweet and spiciness. This is where Dominican tobacco stand unique with Nicaraguan overpowered and sometime over spicy espresso flavor. This is coming from the San Vincente, Piloto Cubano and Yamasa tobaccos. Yamasa tobacco is unique but the only problem is- it has a lot of oil in it. The Davidoff Puro de Oro used the Yamasa wrapper and as a result the burn is always uneven. However, using Yamasa as a filler tobacco makes it very complex and enjoyable- again Thanks to Mr. Henke Kelner for his magical touch. He knows very well how to utilize different tobaccos in a blend. I can only imagine what he can do if he had access to the Cuban tobaccos in his hand. The strength and spiciness are picking up and now I can feel the kick through my nose during retrohale. It is still pleasant but I am retrohaling less frequently at this stage. The lemony twist and spring forest freshness is getting buried under more spiciness but it is still at the back. What a complex smoke! Apparently, all the flavors and aroma are still there but the complexity is moving around back and forth here and there. At the same time, there is a stable espresso coffee and caramel sweetness end of each puff. This is extremely complex with long finish at this stage. I wish this extreme complexity was at the 2/3 mark.

Final thought: I have always expressed my frustration with recent Davidoff released cigars for being more powerful in strength and bigger ring gauge. I mentioned this earlier in different threads that the Davidoff top line management wants Henke to follow the market demand but Henke has been trying to stick with the core quality of Davidoff cigar- medium in strength, complex flavors and aroma with long finish. He did it again with the Year of the Snake Limited Edition 2013 release. As a Davidoff cigar lover, I am extremely happy because no one except Henke can do it with non-Cuban tobaccos. The only negative thing about this cigar is its weak floral note and the price. The $20 would have been a better price than $30 per stick. However, I enjoyed it from the start to finish and happy to have a box. I will see how these cigars develop with some aging. This cigar should definitely take a place on the top 25 non-Cuban cigar list in 2013. This is a must smoke for the Davidoff cigar lovers. The weather in Managua is very pretty today- clear sky without any sun, plenty of tropical breezes. I am very happy to be alive and enjoy a fine smoke. Have a good day!
    Photobucket
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    I was wondering what this would end up like given the ligero and Yamasa fillers. Now I need a box damnit... I'm a big fan of Churchill DC size as well.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i should not have read that review.
    being that i am already a davidoff fan, i may need to hunt one of these down.