Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:

"The cigar of the Davidoff Royal series are remarkable in terms of both form and style presentation. The series comprised two glamorous formats: Royal Salomones and Royal Robusto. These cigars are made with choice tobaccos set aside and aged for several years specially for occasions such as this. As these special tobaccos are available only in very small quantities, only a limited number of cigars can be rolled. The cigars' impressive size makes each and every one of them a tour de force in its own right, lending both the true glamour of royalty.The ideal blend of the specially - treated tobaccos used makes smoking these cigars a voyage of discovery, taking in a wide variety of gustatory experience and subtle aromas. Exceptional cigars for a long, unforgettable smoke which will delight aficionados time and again with new sensations and many - faceted flavors." - Davidoof & cie, SA, Geneve
    Photobucket
    True to Davidoff's statement above, the cigar is very special with more than perfect construction, burn and the layers of flavors and aroma. It is completely smooth, creamy and clean smoke with rich fruity and flowery aroma. The flavor profile is very complex and flavorful with hints of mild white pepper, white chocolate, nutmeg, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla and touch of tannic oakiness. The cigar is very rich, moving and satisfying with even burn and draw. It is nothing like other Davidoff because of a distinctive Cuban like rich fruity and flowery aroma. It is definitely very smooth cigar declares the superiority of the Davidoff quality. I think, I can write a song about this cigar. It is like a symphonic work which moves you with melodies. This is a true masterpiece of art from Henke Kelner. My friend told me that Henke thinks it is his best creation. I can not verify that because I never talked to Henke in person.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecudorian Connecticut

Binder: Dominican Republic

Fillers: All aged fillers from Dominican Republic( I don't know why I am close to believe that there might be some Cuban tobacco in the blend because I feel the distinctive Cuban like flavor in it. Maybe I need to smoke couple more of this sticks)
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts out with smooth and creamy, rich Cuban like fruity and flowery aroma with an underlying mild tannic oakiness. The tannic side comes from the Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper. Top of my tongue can feel peppery flavor with mild bitterness, middle of my tongue feel the smooth, creaminess, fruity, flowery aromas. Back of my tongue feel the mild roasted nuttiness.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As a sign of a great cigar at this stage the cigar opens up with layers of different flavor and aroma. The flavor profile is heavily dominated by white chocolate, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla flavors with underlying notes of nutmeg and clove. Straight medium bodied with smooth cream, mellow and round flavor. The top of my tongue feels more distinctive white pepper, above all the flavors with clean, smooth, buttery, mouthful feeling. Back of tongue is clean without any aftertaste.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar is very complex with long finish. I am just floating in a dream world of complexity and flavor. The strong Cuban like fruity, flowery aroma is dominating the smoke. I am simply sad to say goodbye but I have to. A true smoking voyage to the world of flavor and aroma. The entire time of smoking I enjoyed the roasted sweetness to it. I am glad to have a full humidor of this and planning to age them.

Outstanding review, Rip! I'm sure the Trinidad I enjoyed Thursday night is nowhere near as complex and magnificent as the Royal Robusto, but I also detected the fruitiness and floral aspects of the Cuban tobacco. It was quite a lovely experience and I'm looking forward to having the second one I received on my birthday.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Thanks for the review Rip! Sounds like a great experience.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Damn rip....that review made me want to buy one
  • Knoxca1Knoxca1 Posts: 148 ✭✭
    Those are some awesome pictures.
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    Great review and pictures
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    Damn rip....that review made me want to buy one
    +1. Think I'll go light up a davidoff, but not this one of course....lol. Great review Rip!!!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Great review, as always, Rip.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

My daughter just graduated from elementary to middle school with straight A. She also received the President's Award for Educational Excellence which come with electronic signature of President Obama and the Secretary of Education. Few students from many schools receive this award for their consistent academic record. I am very happy for her and thought I need to smoke something special to celebrate the good news. I picked up one of my precious collection - Cohiba Lancero the Cuban State gift. These cigars were rolled in 80's and have been aged at least 25+ years.
    Photobucket
    Cohiba Lancero started production in 1964 but was not named until 1969. Everyone knows the story how Fidel Castro discovered the cigar maker though the Chief of his body guard Bienviendo Perez(Chico) in 1963. Chico introduced Fiden with Eduardo Rivera the maker of Cohiba cigar. Initially, Eduardo started rolling this cigar just for Fidel and as the State gift to be offered to the foreign Heads of State, diplomats in early 1964. I feel very proud to have almost a box of this cigar. I wrote about it in my "Special cigar gift" thread. I received more information about this State gift. I still don't know when this box was rolled or released but I do know that it was given to my source around 1985. The tobacco of this special cigar goes through third fermentation. The seco and ligero tobacco is aged for 18 months in cedar wooden barrels. They age the tobacco of these State gift cigar from 8-10 years before sending them to the rolling table.
    Photobucket
    This cigar is very unique in taste and flavor. I smoked couple boxes of regular Cohiba Lanceros but the State gift is from a different planet. I can understand what long proper aging can do to a A class Cuban cigar. It has distinctive Cuban aromatic floral note, pleasant grassy taste with strong sweet, earthy, vanilla, cocoa, coffee, fruity flavors and aroma. The cigar has no harshness at all. It is very smooth, mellow and lovely an aged cigar could be. Excellent draw with perfect combustion. I never rate any cigar with number because cigar taste is individual and subjective. However, without any hesitation I will rate this cigar 9.9 out of 10…period.
    Photobucket
    I am not going to review this like other cigars with different marks because this cigar does not require that kind of attention. This cigar need to be smoke very slowly, without trying to concentrate too much on identifying the flavor and aroma. I let the smoke go without having the pressure of taking notes. This way I could really enjoy the cigar. I tried to keep the record in my head and typing this from my memory. We can talk and extend the description of a cigar with many words but in reality the basic thing we pick up from a cigar are sharpness, metallic, grassy, young, harsh, bitter, sour, sweetness, notes of cocoa, coffee, earthy, woody, cedary, the feeling of the texture of smoke meaty(thick), creamy, round, mouthful to the strength of mild, medium and bold with short, medium and long finish.
    Photobucket
    The cigar is straight medium to full bodied. Start with signature Cuban aromatic floral note with pleasant grassy taste. The flavor profile is combination of earhty, vanilla, cocoa, coffee, dry bean, cedar flavor with very complex and long finish. This cigar has been aged at least 25+ years, it mellowed out completely, no metalaic and harshness at all. It is all about smoothness and aged aroma. Through the entire smoking the top of my tongue felt the balanced super mild spiciness, the middle of my tongue enjoyed the creamy texture with above complex flavor and aroma. Back of my tongue felt the balanced earthy tobacco flavor without any bitterness. It is a cigar for the experienced smoker who knows how to use every part of the tongue to enjoy a cigar. I ate very light breakfast to keep my palate clean. Drank couple glasses of water to clean my mouth. I took 2 hours 15 minutes to smoke this gem.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    This is one of the smoothest and complex flavorful cigar experience I have ever had. This is far better than a Cohiba Behike. I am not going to smoke it again very soon. This is definitely going to be part of my cigar aging project. I have dedicated a specially designed Humidor to age this cigar by the car maker Ferrari. This cigar deserves the respect to be in this special humidor for longer aging so I can celebrate more special days in my life. Though politically I disagree with Fidel but I want to thank him for discovering Master blender Eduardo Rivera and created the Cohiba brand
    Photobucket
    WOW....Rip....your collection never ceases to amaze me. I can only imagine how amazing that smoke was. Enjoy them all my friend, life is too short to let those sit.
    Thanks Dustin...Indeed, life is too short, so do this kind of special cigar. I wish I had the stable supply to enjoy them regularly.
    catfishbluezz:
    WOW....Rip....your collection never ceases to amaze me. I can only imagine how amazing that smoke was. Enjoy them all my friend, life is too short to let those sit.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like I said, he has the COOLEST toys. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Very nice. Question though...if those cigars are 25+ years old, why do they have a band that has been in use only since the early 2000's? Not questioning the cigars, but just a curiosity.
    Sorry Joe, I can not answer to your question because I do not have that answer. However, the box, band and the taste confuses me as well. I am still trying to gather more information on this. So far, I have seen another of this box to one of my friend's house who works for the Italian Embassy. He also received directly from a Cuban diplomat and has the same band, box and cigars. As an American, we can not contact Cubans directly so I am unable to gather more first hand information. However, I am trying to gather information through my Italian friend. Stay tuned...
    j0z3r:
    Very nice. Question though...if those cigars are 25+ years old, why do they have a band that has been in use only since the early 2000's? Not questioning the cigars, but just a curiosity.
    Thanks for answering, I thought that maybe you would know. One cigar I want to try is a well-aged Cohiba...the oldest I've had is five years, but I'd like to see what they are like with 10+, even 20+ years of aging.

The Viaje Oro Reserva No.5 is a Nicaraguan Puro but rolled in Fabrica de Tabacos Raices Cubanas factory, Honduras. Races Cubanas owned by a Cuban family. They are famous for making some great cigars in the market. Cigar Aficionado announced VOR no. 5 as the the number 2 cigar in 2010. The cigar blend used aged Esteli, Jalapa ligeros and seco. It is a very good looking cigar just like a chocolate bar. During smoking I felt like smoking a chocolate bar. A very well constructed cigar with absolute perfect draw with dead even burn. The flavor profile is combination of strong cocoa, dark chocolate, leather, black pepper, mild caramel and with pleasant sweet, bitter, leather notes. It is not a widely available cigar because they only released 500 boxes. The 2010 release was out of market within days. I was able to manage a box 2010 release from a private collector. It is not a super complex cigar but complex enough with long finish. The complexity moves around with sweet and bitterness. This cigar still needs some aging to mellow down. It produces a lot of meaty smoke. It is straight medium to full bodied. Outland cigars in Charlotte, NC started selling this brand before Cigar Aficinados rating. They deserve some credit to put this cigar in the spot light.
    Photobucket
    This cigar reminds me a lot of Padron Family Reserve 45th but if we compare price vs. value, I will put VOR No. 5 ahead of Padron Family Reserve 45th though Pardon FR 45th is also a great cigar.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Aged Nicaraguan dark, oily Corojo,99

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Nicaraguan Esteli and Jalapa 8-10 years aged ligero and seco.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts with a blast of leather and strong cocoa note. Within few minute it releases strong dark chocolate, black pepper flavor. The top of my tongue can feel strong black pepper spiciness but not overpowering. I can feel slight harshness in it but not unpleasant. The middle of my tongue feels the thick, meaty smoke with cocoa, dark chocolate, cedar flavor with leather note. The back of my tongue feels mild bitterness. However, the experience is not unpleasant at all.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The flavor profile open up with full strength and aroma at this stage which a sign of a good cigar. The black pepper spiciness pick up to higher level with sweet bitterness. I can feel the caramel flavor with notes of cedar, leather and sweet spiciness. The smoke is thick, heavy and meaty. The harshness is more obvious at this stage. This cigar needs aging but still very pleasant. The top of my tongue feel the spiciness, middle of my tongue feel the meaty smoke with coca, distinctive dark chocolate, caramel flavor with sweet bitter note. The cigar is very tasty and declares the Nicaraguan unique flavors with very mild saltiness. Back of my tongue can feel the strong bitterness.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage the cigar is bold with heavy all the above flavors, aroma and notes. The best part is the rotation of the sweet and bitterness with complexity and long finish. The tingly feeling in my mouth is amazing. I wish the cigar was little more complex. I would have fallen love with it if there was some fruity aroma. I tried to retrohale but the mild harshness did not allow me to enjoy it. However, I can tell, a little more aging will make this cigar perfect. The entire time of smoking, I felt like smoking a dark chocolate bar. It is a fantastic cigar.

Is this cigar worth of the price? Yes, every single cents of it is worth. I am willing to buy more of this cigar from 2010 release.
    I wish I could find some of these!
    BigT06:
    Ditto... Rip, are you referring to the natural 45th? I am normally a big fan of the maduro's in the FR line, but the 45th natural has always intrigued me by the reviews. I have a couple 80th's naturals that are a couple years old and waiting for a good occasion. The 45th natural is high on the list to find as is this.

Todd....my guy a thte store south of me I trade with could probably find them if I asked, but my budget is shot and I cannot buy for quite some time...at least a coupel months. I will see him in a week or two and ask, he is the king of HTF smokes and I gladly repay him with rare smokes when I see him. One of hte few B&M owners I've met that is one of us.
    Dustin, please do not get me wrong. Padron Family Reserve 45th- both Natural and Maduro are amazing cigar. I was talking about the price vs. value. Though it is very difficult to find a Viaje Oro Reserva no.5 2010 release with regular MRSP but if we compare the price then VOR no. 5 is better in value. However, that doesn't mean it is a better cigar than Padron 45th. I always say that Padron is a unique cigar. I am impressed to know about your aged Padron 45th, 80th collection. with couple years of age, they are very smooth now and precious. Even one year age makes Padron reserve line a great smoke.
    catfishbluezz:
    BigT06:
    Ditto... Rip, are you referring to the natural 45th? I am normally a big fan of the maduro's in the FR line, but the 45th natural has always intrigued me by the reviews. I have a couple 80th's naturals that are a couple years old and waiting for a good occasion. The 45th natural is high on the list to find as is this.

Todd....my guy a thte store south of me I trade with could probably find them if I asked, but my budget is shot and I cannot buy for quite some time...at least a coupel months. I will see him in a week or two and ask, he is the king of HTF smokes and I gladly repay him with rare smokes when I see him. One of hte few B&M owners I've met that is one of us.

"The Camacho 1962 Pre-Embargo is starts with a Vintage 1999 Jamastran Corojo wrapper that finishes a complex filler that includes authentic 1962 Pre-Embargo Cuban tobacco. The aged Cuban tobacco used in this cigar is taken from one of four remaining bales in the world. It has been a long time since we have encountered a cigar of this caliber. This is without a doubt one of the finest cigars we have ever had the privilege of smoking. The smooth Pre-Embargo filler is complemented nicely by the complex Corojo wrapper.This wrapper comes from one of the first Corojo crops ever grown outside Cuba and is considered a landmark harvest in the cigar industry.The unique taste of this cigar is almost beyond words. Medium bodied with a rich full flavor, this cigar brings an abundance of flavors to the palate including wood, leather, peat, nuts and some spiciness. This type of complexity is rarely seen and is constantly sought out by aficionados. Available only in a 6 x 48 sizes in handsome bi-folding wood boxes of 25, an unfinished foot give each cigar a nostalgic look that is a reminder of the classic Cuban cigars that were commonplace more than 50 years ago. Sample what may be the finest cigar being made today, and fall in love with a new classic." - From Camaco website
    Photobucket
    Camacho brand is one of my favorite. I bought two boxes of this cigar and aging them in a separated humidor. It is very smooth and easy smoke. I smoked this in different time and always enjoy it. The problem is, its burn very quickly, the smooth, white ash cannot hold very long. It smells wet, musty, burning wood which is unique. The flavor profile is dominated by woody, musty, black pepper, cedar, walnut with sweet and leather note. Not extremely complex but super smooth, creamy texture. I retrohale the entire time of smoking. Can't verify the information about Cuban tobacco but I do know Camacho is the only company who produces the first generation Corojo tobacco in the world. Though many company claim to use first generation Corojo seeds but they are all hybrid seeds. I was told this by many cigars makers about the Corojo seeds. Christian Eiroa who runs Camacho in Danli, Honduras(now part of Davidoff), believes that only true, non-hybrid Corojo is worthy of the designation. His Camacho cigars are made entirely of authentic Cuban-seed Corojo and Criollo tobacco grown by his father Julio in Honduras’s Jamastran Valley, Honduras. They got their Corojo seeds directly from Daniel Rodriguez, the grandson of Diego Rodriguez the seed’s creator in Cuba. They have been growing Corojo and Criollo since the 1960s. Eioras refuse to use hybrids and call it Corojo. I believe this the secret of Camacho's unique flavor profile. I love their 10th Anniversary line very much as well as the Liberty line. Though after 2007 the liberty line quality is inferior compares to the 2006 and 2007 release in IMPO. This is one of my all time favorite cigar. When I can decide what to smoke, I can always count on this Camacho Pre-embargo cigar.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Honduran Corojo

Binder: Honduran

Filler: Pre-embargo Cuban and Honduran
    Photobucket
    1/3: Starts with super smooth rich, earthy, musty, woody flavor with peppery note. The smoke is very dry and the draw is very easy and clean. Produces a lot of thick smoke. The top my tongue can feel the sharp peppery spiciness, middle of my tongue feels the musty, woody, earthy flavor with creamy texture. Back of my tongue is feeling slight bitterness.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage the cigar is impressively spicy. I can feel the cedar, walnut, vanilla, black pepper, musty flavor with long finish. My mouth is full of tingly crispyness. I am trying to smoke it as slow as possible but still burning very quickly. The top of my tongue can feel the strong, sharp black pepper spiciness. Middle of my tongue is full above flavors with sweet notes. The aftertaste is gone taken over by smooth, creamy, vanilla under notes.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: I am enjoying the cigar most at this stage with full complex flavor and aroma of cedar, black pepper, walnut, vanilla, mild fruity, slight saltiness with strong sweet and mild leathery notes. This is a full flavored cigar with wet, musty smell. This is definitely aged tobacco but still can't find the Cuban aromatic flavor and the aroma. However, a great smoke. This not a super complex cigar but the long finish is very enjoyable, straight a medium bodied cigar.

Is this cigar worth of the price? No, not with the full price tag. However, it is great smoke and I will buy more and age them.
    Great review and very nice pics, Rip.
    Thank you for this stuff Rip. I enjoy reading these. The Camancho is one I have wondered about.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    How long have your Pre-Embaros been aging Rip? I think they start to get very interesting around the 3 year mark. The box I have was purchased around 3 years ago, and I pull one out 2-3 times a year to sample. While I don't feel they've necessarily been getting better (which is not a negative, they were good to begin with), they have gotten more interesting.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i find that they burn quickly also. im not a big fan of that. im glad camacho doesnt do that with all of their smokes.

More or less every cigar smoker knows about the Opus X. Usually, I like to provide some background information but it is not necessary about this iconic cigar brand. Why I picked up this cigar today, I don't know. I just wanted to smoke it because I miss the complexity and unique taste of this cigar. Is it worth of the money? I am not going to that controvertial debate because taste is subjective and individual. I do not believe, it is necessary to start the debate rather than enjoy the unique flavor, aroma of the Opus X. However, if you haven't smoke one of this please do smoke one and be the judge by yourself.
    Photobucket
    When I say it is a unique cigar, I mean the unique toasty, crispy, nutty and raising like flavor and aroma of it. It is a beautiful rainy day in Managua and I needed something crispy to cheer up and uplift my mood. I love rain but also reminds me of the gloominess of London or Lima/Peru. I am a person who really enjoy to float myself to the metaphysical world sometime. I can hide to that world from the reality. I would like to welcome you to my world with my review of this FFOX Forbidden X Lancero. This cigar was released is 2010 that means it was rolled in 2006 or 2007. Arturo Fuente always age their Opus line at least three years before release them in the market.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Dominical Rosado

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican aged leaf
    Photobucket
    This is a very good looking cigar with two as usual beautiful Opus X bands. Comes in a individual cedar box. The wrapper is beautiful brown reddish with a pig tail on top. It simply feels good in hand. It is simply very elegant with perfect construction and more than perfect burn. The flavor profile is combination of toasty nut, dry spiciness(mix of white and black pepper), nutmeg, slight cinnamon, cedar, raisin almost prune kind of mature taste, mild vanilla flavor with a slight touch of floral background. The subtle spiciness of this cigar is unique. It is straight a medium to full bodied cigar. The other uniqueness of this cigar is its clean and crispiness. I smoked the cigar with 2 hrs. 20 minutes. Lancero shape requires slow smoking to enjoy its intense flavor and aroma.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The first couple of draw releases toasty, nutty, crispy and clean smoke. The top of my tongue can feel the subtle spiciness(mix of white and black pepper). Middle of my tongue can feel the medium creamy texture with mild leather notes. The back of my tongue has a sweet, bitter aged tobacco taste. Overall, it is like kissing soft lips of a beautiful woman. You just feel it with closing your eyes. I am in love.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage, the intencity of this cigar is amazing. The flavor profile is a combination of toasty nutty, raisin, slight vanilla, cedar, nutmeg, hints of cinnamon flavor with mild floral note. It is like after a long passionate kiss, I just open my eyes and discover her beautiful eyes looking at me with deep passion. Ya, she really loves me. The top of my tongue if full of subtle spiciness but completely balanced. The middle of my tongue can feel the smooth, creamy, medium, buttery texture with above flavors. The back of my tongue has practically no aftertaste. What a great cigar.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: Pretty much the same flavor profile but with more body hit the spot. The raising like flavor getting close to prune flavor. I am thinking, is it really my imagination or the reality? I retrohale the cigar all the way because it is so smooth with long finish. The mouthful flavor and aroma add the slight floral note at this stage. The toasty, crispiness roar with complexity. Now I know why some people say this cigar is a hype and some say it is the most beautiful woman in the world. Maybe I am lost to describe her beauty in words but I am close to say - I love you too with a strong nicotine buzz.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome Rip.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Rip, you are killing us with your reviews. Keep it up!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz:
    Agreed! Great stuff! You should make a book!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Thanks guys...actually I have started writing a book about the history and the geo-political impact of the tobacco plantation and cigar industry. I don't know if I will be allowed to publish it during my service. There are a lot of fact about tobacco and the cigar industry. It is not simply a stick to smoke. There are a lot more behind the scene. However, I appreciate your kind words. Thank you!!!
    0patience:
    SleevePlz:
    Agreed! Great stuff! You should make a book!
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Brilliant Rip, simply brilliant brother ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    Rip, when I grow up, I wanna be just like you. lol

Your smokes always make me jealous!