Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    been a long time lurker of your reviews Rip. Like BigTodd, I too get jealous of your smokes. I kinda wanna just sit next to you when you smoke. Just look at your cigar and smell the air. True story.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont think im as jealous as some of these other guys are but one cigar was just over the top for me and that was the Davidoff Royal Robusto.

very difficult to give me cigar envy.
    ... but you managed.

keep reviewing. im enjoying.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Thanks you all Todd, Jliu. Jliu if I am in San Ramon, we will get together for a smoke. Kuzi, Thanks for your kind words. Indeed, Davidoff Royal Robusto is a phenomenal cigar. I also enjoy your reviews. Your site looks great.
    Thanks Brett. Congrats on your new venture and full time job. I wish you good luck to the cigar journey. I have no interest with cigar business but want to write up a book from a different angle. Hope you are enjoying your new job.
    90+ Irishman:
    Brilliant Rip, simply brilliant brother ;)
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Rip, you constantly astound me with your reviews. I'd love to be able to spend an evening on the back deck with you and soak up whatever knowledge you would be willing to share. I look forward to your next review.
    We will Daniel. I have a plan to make a trip to your state to collect some local bourbons. We can spend a day chatting, eating, drinking and smoking cigars.
    Toombes:
    Rip, you constantly astound me with your reviews. I'd love to be able to spend an evening on the back deck with you and soak up whatever knowledge you would be willing to share. I look forward to your next review.
    rzaman:
    We will Daniel. I have a plan to make a trip to your state to collect some local bourbons. We can spend a day chatting, eating, drinking and smoking cigars.
    Toombes:

Excellent! Please let me know when you will be here and I'll make arrangements to be available, work be damned! Lol!
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    rzaman:
    Toombes:

Excellent! Please let me know when you will be here and I'll make arrangements to be available, work be damned! Lol!
    I'd make a trip up for that herf as well!
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I'd like to date that stick. LOL
    where are you Rip? Need more fantastic pictures and mouth watering reviews please.
    There will be one tomorrow. Davidoff 100 Years Geneva, thanks!
    you never cease to amaze me. Looking forward to it!
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    rzaman:
    There will be one tomorrow. Davidoff 100 Years Geneva, thanks!
    Looking forward to it

Davidoff released this cigar in 2011 to honor Zino Davidoff's parents arrival to Switzerland in 1991 from Kiev, Russia. This cigar comes in two different vitoals Robusto (5 X 50) and Toro (6 3/4 X 50). This cigar was released in IPCR show at the Davidoff dinner party. Though Zino was the mastermind behind the brand of Davidoff but he was able to do it because of his parents. They supported him all the way to devote himself to the premium cigar industry. He travel through Argentina, Brazil and Cuba as a young man to learn about tobacco plantation and cigar production. Some people get confused between the 100 Years Geneva with Davidoff 100th Anniversary cigar. Davidoff 100 Anniversary was created to celebrate Zino Davidoff's 100th birthday.
    Photobucket
    The blender of this cigar is Henke Kelner, of course. Over a decade Davidoff is doing a lot of research on hybrid tobacco seeds with different tobacco growers, mainly in Ecuador and Dominican Republic because of the lack of aromatic Cuban tobacco. Henke used five different types of tobaccos in this blend. All the leaves have been aged from 5 to 9 years for strength, full flavor, aroma and characteristics. Ligero leaves dominated the fillers for intense and full bodied flavor. I have smoked more or less the entire line of Davidoff. lately, they have been blending many cigars with ligeros but always smooth and full flavored. Only Davidoff is artistically capable to do the job right without any harshness with long aging process. The toro size feels heavy in hand, little wet. The wrapper is close to dark brown, smooth but not oily. The flavor profile is a combination of citrus, milk chocolate, woody, cedar, earthy, clove-cinnamon with mild sweet, pepper notes. The texture is creamy, round and smooth with medium finish. It has a pig tail cap which reminds me of a Cuban cigar. I retrohale the cigar all the way because I was able to do it for its smooth and mild spiciness. From start to finish prefect draw, burn with flaky ash
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Criollo from Yamasa region in Dominican Republic

Binder: Dominican San Vicente leaf

Filler: Five different types of tobacco(aged 5-9 years)s from Dominican Republic and Ecuador
    Photobucket
    1/3: Balanced woody, musty, cedar flavors with very mild sweet, peppery note. It produces a large amount of smoke. The top of my tongue can feel mild sweet, spiciness. The middle of my tongue can feel the creamy texture with above flavor and aroma. There is no aftertaste at the back of my tongue. Little bit of a boring start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage the cigar picks up more flavors and aroma with smooth, milk chocolate(close to butterscotch), earthy, mild clove-cinnamon, mild citrus lemon flavor with distinctive sweet and slight leathery notes. I am beginning to enjoy full complex flavor of the cigar. The cigar is more tasty with retrohale because I can feel the medium spiciness. I am definitely enjoying the smoke now. The strength is taking over with round, mouthful texture - wow. The top of my tongue can feel the balanced white pepper spiciness, middle of my tongue can feel the creaminess with all the adobe flavor and aroma. Back of my tongue can feel the mild aged bitterness.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: Now I can feel the strong flavors and aromas with earthy, nutty, leathery, cedar with hints of dark chocolate. The mustiness is back with full flavor profile. I am really enjoying this cigar. This is the kind of cigar I love to retrohale because it is full of flavored, smooth with long, spicier finish. I have to say the start was not impressive but the 2/3 and Final/3 made me happy. I will definitely buy a box and age them.

Final thought: this cigar needs some adjustment during the 1/3 mark IMPO. I have one more to smoke so I will leave my final comment to that. It is a very fine smoke. If you are a Davidoff lover, you must smoke this cigar.
    Excellent review, Ripon! I'm currently eyeing a Davidoff Millenium sampler, since they have eluded me as of yet. If/when I get them, I shall give you my take on them.

Robaina was born in Alqu
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You just solidified the reason why this is the top cigar on my bucket list...
    Davidoff Millenium is a great cigar. It is good you are ordering a sampler pack so you can find your favourite size. My fav. Vitolas are robusto and petite corona. However, they are all good. The complexity and balance of DM is very pleasant. Please let know about your smoking experience.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    They are quite high on my list as well.

Nice review Rip.
    once again. mouth watering, awesome review. I love how you give background and your own twist. When I read it, I melt.

These cigars were released on December 2011 in commemoration of Arturo Fuente's 100th Anniversary. There is very little information about the cigar. However, I also heard that this is not going to be the only 100th anniversary cigars from Fuente, they are going to release couple other throughout the year of 2012. The cigar has two bands. First as usual Opus X Forbidden band and the second band is very different - number 13 inside a clock. There are many speculation about number 13. ForbiddenX 13 series is grown on a specific 13 acre plot, Carlos Fuente Sr. was born on 13th St, He died at the age of 85. 8+5=13, Arturo Fuente's headquarter at 1310 N. 22nd St. bla bla bla. Arturo Fuente is very creative about attractive stories about some of the cigars. The box comes with 13 cigars and I smoked one just now and the rest of them are for my aging project.
    Photobucket
    I am in touch with Fuente to gather more information. I will update more information as soon as I receive something new from them. There was very little knowledge about this cigar when they came to the market and they disappeared within a week. One of my friend brought this box from Dominican Republic who is friends with the Fuente family. He also mentioned to me that these cigars are not one time release, they will release more this year. This box is ForbiddenX 13 Heart of the Bull 1957 (5 1/4 x 50). Each vitola comes with different year and name which represent different historic events of Arturo Fuente’s past.
    Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Dominican Rosado but much darker than regular Opus X. Close to Colorado maduro.

Binder: Secret

Filler: Secret
    Photobucket
    1/3: Strong black pepper like no other Opus X but within couple puff the spiciness dies down. The flavor profile is very interesting and complex with sweet raisin-prune, woodiness, cocoa, dark bitter chocolate, mild leather with long dry finish note. The top of my tongue can feel the mild spiciness, the middle of my tongue can feel the round, thick texture with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue can feel the aged tobacco bitterness with earthy note. I have to say nothing like any regular Opus X, Forbidden X or Lost city kind of start. The initial short spiciness was a combination of black pepper and red chili power kind but interestingly dies down within couple puff. It is like a lightening then gone. The long earthy long finish was very enjoyable at this stage. I don't know how many years of aged fillers are in it. Though the spiciness is gone but it stay in the background very delicately which I never experienced in any other Opus X line. The dry bitterness is amazing. I retrohale it all the way and enjoyed the complexity. few cigar can be so complex at 1/3 mark like this one.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The spiciness is completely gone but remains delicately at the background. I can only feel the delicate mild spiciness during retrohale. the flavor profile is taken over by strong Turkish coffee like distinctive bitterness. The strength is coming back with sweet prune kind of flavor with dark bitter spicy chocolate, oily leather notes. I am in love with the thick complexity of this cigar. The top of my tongue can feel the mild sweet, bitter spiciness. the middle of my tongue can feel the dry flavors and aroma. It is literally dry with long finish. No tingly feeling but the strength is picking up. The back of my tongue is really enjoying the aged tobacco bitterness. In one word- fantastic.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: This cigar is another perfect example of a complex smoke. The flavor profile resemble the 2/3 flavor profile with Belgian dark chocolate, cinnamon-nutmeg, distinctive earthy flavor and aroma with long finish. The coffee under note is in the background. The top of my tongue can feel the cocoa-spiciness. The middle of my tongue can feel the round, mouthful, creamy texture with 2/3 and final/3 flavors and aroma. The spiciness is mix with cocoa power sweetness. I have never experienced this in any other cigar before. It is full bodied at this stage with more spice. The top, middle and back of my tongue is busy with creamy complexity. I love this cigar and glad to have a box because this will get simply better with aging.

Final thought: This is nothing like any other Opus X line cigar. It has the similar raising like flavor profile but the long earthy, oily leather, cinnamon-nutmeg kind of flavor and aroma is very different. It is definitely a different blend and declare as a perfect 100 anniversary cigar. I will buy more if I can find them. It will be a classic cigar in Arturo Fuente's cigar profile within couple years of aging. I highly recommend this cigar. It does live up to it’s hype.
    Photobucket
    another amazing cigar and another amazing review Rip. Man, look at that oily dark wrapper. It looks so amazing. I want to chew it. Spit it out. Chew it so more. And eat it. I do.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    jliu:
    another amazing cigar and another amazing review Rip. Man, look at that oily dark wrapper. It looks so amazing. I want to chew it. Spit it out. Chew it so more. And eat it. I do.
    +1

These cigars are part of the Dominican Partagas brand. Since 1991, only well-aged tobaccos have been used to create the Partagas Limited Reserve. This line was released in 2005 and was christened "Decadas", to represent the Cameroon wrappers that were aged for a decade that this line utilizes. Limited Reserve Decadas cigars feature a Cameroon wrapper that were aged in Spanish cedar for ten years before being rolled. The great cigar maker, Daniel Nunez was determined to produce a top-rate cigar, despite the obstacles and difficulties of doing so. The undertaking was complex, but his experience and determined talents helped to set this line of cigars high above the rest.
    Photobucket
    The first Partagas Limited Reserve cigar was released in 1991. These limited edition cigars are famous not only for their low production amounts, but for their extremely superior construction. The filler’s tobacco leaves are carefully selected as only one in about every one hundred are placed in orderly lots to be aged. The distinct Cameroon wrappers used in the Partagas LR Decadas 2007 are also hand selected from the brand reserves. Only about three in every one thousand of the highest quality wrapper leaves makes the cut. The cigars and their components withstand a lengthened aging procedure in rooms constructed of premium Spanish cedar. The cigars are than vigilantly watched with every aspect of the process noted to determine which cigars are suitable to represent not only the brand, but the Limited Reserve line of cigars. In the end, those cigars that have passed the test of time and quality are placed in a handmade mahogany box with a certificate documenting its detailed aging journey. The name Decadas is derived from the Spanish word for decade, which represents the period of time their exquisite wrappers were aged. The original Partagas Limited Reserve(PLR) and the Partagas Limited Reserve Decadas(PLRD) are completely two different blends and cigar. The original PLR comes with the same wrapper but with Mexican binder and Dominican fillers but PLRD comes with Honduran binder and Dominican and Nicaraguan Ometepe fillers. Both are also different in tastes. I will review the Original PLR some other time.(source: various on-line publication and articles)
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cameroon(10 years age from 1999 and released in 2005. That means until now it is a 13 years old aged wrapper

Binder: Honduran San Agustin

Filler: Dominican, Nicaraguan (Ometepe)
    Photobucket Photobucket
    The flavor profile is combination of fresh herbal, lemony, mild raisin, leathery, oak, anise, nutmeg, cocoa flavors. It has mild to medium body with top quality Cameroon's sweet and subtle spicy aroma. A delicate but super complex smoke, requires clean palate to enjoy the layers of flavors and aroma. This is elegant cigar, must for any Cameroon lover. There are very few excellent Cameroon cigars in the market. This one is one of the top five along with Partagas 150, 160, AF Hemingway, Partagas Limited Reserva IMPO. This cigar has perfect construction with flawless burn. One of those few cigars we can retrohale all the way from the start to finish. Without retrohale, it is very difficult to enjoy a vintage, fine cigar. This is where the cigar stand aside and declares it's superiority. It comes in a beautiful, sealed glass tube. Total twenty glass tubes line down in two rows inside a beautiful humidor.
    Photobucket
    1/3: Upon igniting the cigar releases fresh herbal, lemony flavor with sweet leathery and oak. It is moderately light smoke at this point but super smooth, subtle and round - sign of a aged cigar. the sweet, mild raisin like aroma is noticeable. The top of my tongue can feel the sweet, mild black pepper spiciness. The middle of my tongue is full of fresh herbal, lemony flavors with sweet leathery, oak. The back of my tongue has no aftertaste. During retrohale the sweet spiciness is more distinctive but without any harshness. The smoke is dry with aromatic woodiness. The cigar is mild but full of complexity with medium finish.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage, the flavor open up with distinctive anise, nutmeg with more woodiness. The mild raisin like flavor mellowed out and taken over by more sweetness and aromatic flavors. The body is picking up to medium. The top of my tongue can feel more sweet spiciness. the middle of my tongue is full of anise, nutmeg, fresh herbal, lemony flavor with sweet leathery note. The back of my tongue is enjoying the aged tobacco sweet, super mild bitterness. A complete smooth, cool and dry smoke. I am retrohaling the cigar in each puff to enjoy the layers of complex flavors and aroma. The best part of this cigar is how to sweet, spiciness pick up step by step. At this stage the finish is long without any aftertaste...wow.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar is straight medium bodied and the flavor continue to evolve layers after layers. I am feeling the cocoa power aroma with above flavors and aroma profile. Little bit of roasted nuts crispness with a combination of sweet leathery note with more spiciness. The flavor is combination of 1/3, 2/3 flavor and aroma profile but still smooth, round and subtle. The top of my tongue can feel more spice. At this stage the cigar is medium to full with strong spiciness. The mouth is enjoying the sweet, crispy spiciness with tingly feeling. This is a very complex cigar and prefect for retrohale to enjoy the delicate flavors and aroma. one of the best aged Cameroon in the market.

Final thought: One of my top Cameroon cigar. This cigar is a fine example of a true vintage beauty. the classical layers and layers of complex flavor and aroma need to be enjoyed with clean palate in the morning as a first smoke. I wouldn't recommend any alcoholic drinks with it. The delicate, smooth taste should be enjoyed with a glass of water. Many smokers think powerful smoke means more and complex flavor but it is actually the opposite. A mild to medium smoke can be more pleasant to enjoy the full flavor and complexity of a cigar. If you want the proof of my statement please go for this cigar. I highly recommend to collect a box, age them and enjoy to celebrate a special moment.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man Rip, another amazing write up. Thanks!
    Being a cameroon fiend, I've only had one of the Partagas Limited Reserve, a No. II robusto.
    I would agree that it is a smooth tasty cigar. Thanks for reminding me of it.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great job on the reviews! I really like that partagas, it's a gem. Haven't been able to find those opus's though.
  • jj20030jj20030 Posts: 5,804 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love the partagas LR
    Thanks Glen. Opus Forbidden X Anniversery cigars are currently out of stock but some B&M might offer a singles with hefty price. AF couldn't roll a lot of this cigar because they have lost some aged tobacco in fire. I think it happened last year. They lost some really aged tobacco in that fire. Some of them were rested in those tobacco burns for a long time for the anniversary release.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Great job on the reviews! I really like that partagas, it's a gem. Haven't been able to find those opus's though.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see this thread up top, I'm like "yessssssss"
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
    Thanks Daniel...I am glad to know that you enjoy the thread. I am not a pro like many of you. I simply enjoy to share some of my cigar moments and feelings about my life with the BOTLs here. I appreciate your kind words.
    danielzreyes:
    When I see this thread up top, I'm like "yessssssss"