Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Awesome review as always Rip.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Rip! Great read as usual!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Nice, detailed review.
    While downtown today, I was drooling at the box of Behike 52s they had at CdLH.
    199 Kuwaiti Dinar for the box (roughly $700).
    I stopped drooling.
  • Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Daniel &Tony, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.
  • Options
    Steve, the price for a box of Behike 52 shouldn't be more than $450. I remember the top line CCs are very expensive in Kuwait city. You can always get the best price in Spain. Dubai is also not bad. Try Dubai duty free shop or some on-line Spanish/Swiss tobacco vendor. the price is not bad without the tax. Where do you buy your CC? I saw you got some great sticks recently.
    Steve2010:
    Nice, detailed review.
    I stopped drooling.
  • Options
    Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    rzaman:
    Steve, the price for a box of Behike 52 shouldn't be more than $450. I remember the top line CCs are very expensive in Kuwait city. You can always get the best price in Spain. Dubai is also not bad. Try Dubai duty free shop or some on-line Spanish/Swiss tobacco vendor. the price is not bad without the tax. Where do you buy your CC? I saw you got some great sticks recently.
    Steve2010:
    Nice, detailed review.
    I stopped drooling.
    CdLH at the Kuwait City airport. When I go to Dubai, I stock up on smokes and liquor at the Duty-Free.
    Yesterday I tried to get the guy to break the box and sell me a few singles, but he wouldn't budge.
    On a humorous note, when he heard the price, my friend said "that's not so bad". He recanted when I told him the box only has 10 in it.
  • Options

Casa Fuente is a cigar line that is made for the namesake Casa Fuente retail store, which is located in the Forum Shops at Caesar’s Palace in Las Vegas, NV. Casa Fuente is not only the first licensed store from the Arturo Fuente cigar brand in the United States, but also home to one of the best mojitos this side of the United States-Cuba embargo. This cigar also has a limited release of three vitolas used Ecuadorian Rosado Wrapper but the regular line comes with Cameroon wrapper in five different vitolas. However, Casa Fuente is not owned by the Fuente family. Only the cigar bar is operated under an agreement with the family and the owner of Casa Fuente. [Source: on-line publications]
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Cameroon

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Unknown
    Photobucket
    The cigar looks solid. The wrapper is fairly smooth, toothy, slight veiny like any other Cameroon. It smells like mild horse stable with slight floral, citrus notes. The Casa Fuenete band is attractive. It has a orange foot ribbon. The wrapper is medium dark brown with some oil which is little unusual in a Cameroon wrapper. When I gave the cigar a squeeze, it is fairly firm and tight. After clipping the cigar with the cold draw I felt leather and mild milk chocolate notes. The flavor profile is combination of sweet, spicy, slight floral, sour(citrus), milk chocolate, leather, earthy, nutmeg, cacao power, black pepper powder flavors and aroma. It is a medium bodied cigar. The entire smoke was rich and smooth but not fully complex. The draw is good but it doesn't release a lot of smoke. This is normal and the characteristic of any Cameroon cigar. I am a huge Cameroon fan and very selective. I only smoke when the wrapper comes from the firm of German Merapfel family who owns CETAK S.A.
    Photobucket
    1/3: It starts off with signature Cameroon spice along with mild chocolate, mild leather, woody and earthy notes. The draw is very clean and crispy. This is the sign of a good, aged Cameroon wrapper from the Merapfel's firm. Other Cameroon wrappers do not have this clean and crispness. Within few puffs the cigar open up with fairly rich, medium creamy texture. The top of my tongue can feel the clean sweet-spiciness, the middle of my tongue is filled with medium creamy texture with sweet, citrus, woody, cacao, black pepper powder elements. The back of my tongue is without any distinctive flavor and aroma except super mild tobacco bitterness. That's it...quiet simple start. However, I am enjoying the sweet-spiciness of the cigar. The draw has been little tight. At this moment it is a mild to medium bodied.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As I moved in to second third, the cigar opens up the draw with more distinctive sweet mellowness. The spice is not dominant rather then it is more round and smooth. I feel the creamy milk chocolate, cacao power, nutmeg flavors and notes. The top of my tongue is feeling less spiciness rather than more sweet-citrus sourness. The middle of my tongue is enjoying the medium creaminess with above flavors and aroma. The back of my tongue is pretty clean with mild aged tobacco elements. It is not overly complex but fairly complex. The finish is medium. The floral note at this stage is really enjoyable. I can feel it is gathering towards medium strength. The best part of this cigar is the retrohale because the smoke is very clean, crispy, round, mellow, smooth without any harshness. However, it lacks complexity.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At the beginning of the final third, I am detecting a new flavors- mild cinnamon with grassy note. The strength seems died down from medium to mild for a while but again came back to medium after couple puffs. The top of my tongue has sweet and mild spiciness. The smoke is light creamy with 2/3 flavor profile and aroma. I am loosing my interest to smoke the cigar. usually, Cameroon picks up more body and spiciness at this stage with long finish. I am missing the tingly spicy feeling which is telling me not to smoke any longer. It is straight medium bodied cigar.

Final thought: Overall, it is a decent smoke. It does not live up to it's hype. I will not hesitate to set aside this cigar from my other favorite Cameroons such as Don Carlos Anniversary, DC Maximus Stanford’s 90th, GOF Carlito, Dominican Partagas Reserva, Decadas, 150 and 160. I am kinda disappointed.
  • Options
    I'm headed to Vegas in December and gonna stop at Casa Fuente.
    I'm really glad you wrote this article, cause I had discovered that one in a search and thought I might try and obtain one.
    But it really sounds like there are much better cameroons to snag. Thanks Rip!!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    :)
  • Options
    bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience:
    I'm really glad you wrote this article, cause I had discovered that one in a search and thought I might try and obtain one.
    Can't comment of the CF cigar as I have yet to smoke any of mine but I have had better Mojitos than what is served there, much better and MANY other places. Maybe I am just a Mojito snob but the one I had there was very subpar.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony. It is my personal opinion so you can decide your own. However, try some the AF's rare sticks while you are there. Specially, the Forbidden X line. There are much better Cameroon out there.
    0patience:
  • Options
    Hi Todd, I never been to Casa Fuente so I am unable to comment on their Mojito. On top of that I am not a Mojito expert LOL.
    bandyt09:
    0patience:
    Can't comment of the CF cigar as I have yet to smoke any of mine but I have had better Mojitos than what is served there, much better and MANY other places. Maybe I am just a Mojito snob but the one I had there was very subpar.
  • Options

To celebrate twenty consecutive years of increased sales and overall growth, Ashton owner Robert Levin and Carlos Fuente Jr. have teamed up to create the Ashton Estate Sun Grown, or ESG for short. Such a special occasion called for a very special cigar. The ESG uses a unique Dominican wrapper grown on the Chateau de la Fuente farm in the Dominican Republic. This wrapper has never been used on any other cigar. The blend is the creation of Carlos Fuente Jr. who is a master blender and has created the most sought after cigars in the world. With ESG the bar has been raised once again.

Every year, Ashton will introduce one size of Ashton ESG for the next five years. In its debut year, a 6.75 x 49 size was introduced. In the second year a 5.25 x 52 has been added along with the continued limited production of the first year. And so it will continue for three more years until 2010. From then on, all five sizes will be produced annually and made available to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Ashton. The rare tobaccos used in this spectacular cigar dictate that only extremely limited quantities can be produced. From the unbelievably gorgeous packaging to the rich, bold complexity of the cigar itself, the Ashton Estate Sun Grown will take its place as a legendary cigar. Such a powerful statement can only be made with the greatest confidence. And that confidence comes from years of growing and blending the finest tobaccos in the world. To experience an Ashton Estate Sun Grown is a pleasure beyond expectation. [Source: Ashton site]
    Photobucket
    Ashton ESG(Estate Sun Grown) is a beautiful looking cigar. It feels heavy and good in hand. The cigar has caramel color wrapper with slight copper hue to it. The band has a Victorian look with golden rim around it. one of the best looking band in the market. The wrapper is oily and slight veiny. Overall, the cigar has a Victorian regal appearance. The pre- light cigar has aroma of leather, wood with slight honey note. The cigar has a perfect burn and draw from beginning to the end. It is a medium to full bodied cigar but not bold. The cigar is very smooth, complexwith long finish. The flavor and aroma profile is combination of leather, wood, spice, floral sweetness, nutty, caramel, cacao, cinnamon, chocolate, black pepper powder. The best part of this cigar is it's mellowness and the thick creamy texture with long finish. I retrohale the cigar all the way. It is completely smooth without any harshness. However, when I bought the box a year and half ago there was a little harshness to it during retrohale but now it mellowed out completely. I felt the change in flavor, aroma and smoothness after some age.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Dominican Sun Grown Rosado

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar begins beautifully with light spice with a hint of leather, wood, cacao powder, nutty caramel, sweet raisin flavors and aroma. Wow what a start! few cigars begins with so many flavors at the beginning. from the start it is medium in strength with creamy texture. The top of my tongue is coated with sweet spiciness. The middle of my tongue is full of creamy texture with above flavors and aroma. It is interesting that the back of my tongue has a sweet-leathery under note. I am not surprised because I smoked many ESG before but I am just surprised to realize that how much the cigar mellowed out. This cigar simply gets better than ever with aging. It releases a lot of creamy smoke and the flavors and aroma come and go inside the mouth with each puff. What a complex cigar. This beauty hits the spot from the start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: On the second third, the cigar has all the above flavors and aroma but gathering distinctive chocolate and black pepper spiciness with a hint of raisin, plum, nut, caramel, cacao, floral sweetness aroma to it. The strength is lifting up from medium to full but still very smooth and creamy. The mouthful, round, buttery texture is very pleasant and enjoyable. It is fully loaded with tons of layers and layers of flavors and aroma. I am in love. I don't know if it is less than any Opus X. The Dominican top grade tobacco has a very distinctive floral sweetness and this cigar is a proven example why some top Dominican cigars are so unique in flavor, aroma and complexity. The finish is long and the aftertaste is very complex. I am simply enjoying the layers and layers of flavors in it. A true beauty. The back of my tongue is really enjoying the floral sweetness. This tobacco has been aged well. I can go on and on and write a entire book about this beauty. I am the happiest man on earth at this moment.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage my mind is a bit of meditative state. I am swimming in a pond filled with lots of flavor and aroma. I don't know which direction to take because all are good and welcoming. I have decided not to take any direction rather than enjoy the moment. The time has stopped but my mind is full of joy. The top of my tongue is enjoying the delicate sweet-spiciness. The middle of my tongue is full of 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma. The dominant flavors are wood, sweet-leather, spice, cinnamon, chocolate and very mild fruitiness. The balance, complexity and long finish is astonishing. I didn't had to touch up the cigar once because the draw and burn are still perfect. What a well constructed cigar. The cigar is full bodied now but very smooth and mellow with thick buttery texture. The sweet- leathery flavor coming to the front and the cacao, caramel, nuttiness is at the background. The flavors and aroma are coming back and forth with each puff with mouthful, round and mellowness. It changes so quickly with each puff that it is very difficult detect dominance of the flavors and aroma. My mouth and tongue is enjoying it much- talk about complexity.

Final thought: Overall, Ashton ESG is my all time favorite smoke. I believe this is the most expensive cigar in Ashton profile and some people like VSG over ESG. VSG is also a great cigar. However, I wouldn't compare them because they both are unique in flavor, aroma, strength, balance, finish and complexity. This is a phenomenal cigar and one of my top twenty favorite non- Cuban. This is not only a top Dominican cigar but also one of the best non-Cuban cigar in the market. It is very balanced and locks the complexity within medium to full strength which is not a easy task. It lives up to it's hype and worth every single penny. I am definitely going to buy more and age them. After a huge disappointment with Casa Fuente this morning, I really wanted to smoke something close to my heart. Ashton ESG did the magic. Indeed, the world is a beautiful place to live and I don't want to die.
  • Options
    Awesome
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    The B Town Bombers just hit me with one of these. Can't wait to fire it up!
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Very nice review on that ESG. I for one am not a fan of the ESG, but I really enjoyed your review.
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words Glen.
    phobicsquirrel:
    Very nice review on that ESG. I for one am not a fan of the ESG, but I really enjoyed your review.
  • Options
    Let us know what you think. I am very curious to know. Thanks!
    BigT06:
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    I will post my thoughts for sure.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    I will post my thoughts for sure.
    After reading rip's rview, I ordered a single,,pricy little buggers,,
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Your review makes me want to burn the one I have. But I think I will hold off a little longer.
  • Options
    I've been reading Rips' articles for some time now. One thing that I have noticed is that it's helped me to distinguish different tastes. I still wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what I taste in a cigar, just that I like or don't care for them, but sometimes I can be smoking a cigar that Rip had mentioned certain tastes in and I can go, "yeah, I taste that."

Rip's articles (I won't call them posts, cause they are articles) have given me a better appreciation of certain cigars, even though I've been smoking cigars for quite some time.

I just had to say that. Oh yeah, thanks Rip!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I loved both the ESG and Casa Fuente reviews. I have yet to try an ESG but I'm sure I will soon. I'm surprised you were disappointed with the CF. I found the Lancero (the only Cameroon vitola I smoked) to be fantastic and a better balance than the Carlito. I actually enjoyed it as much or more than the Partagas 150. Its funny how palates can differ.
  • Options
    Thanks Tony...I am humbled to know that my review helps you to identify some cigar taste. I appreciate your kind words.
    0patience:
    I've been reading Rips' articles for some time now. One thing that I have noticed is that it's helped me to distinguish different tastes. I still wouldn't be able to tell you exactly what I taste in a cigar, just that I like or don't care for them, but sometimes I can be smoking a cigar that Rip had mentioned certain tastes in and I can go, "yeah, I taste that."

Rip's articles (I won't call them posts, cause they are articles) have given me a better appreciation of certain cigars, even though I've been smoking cigars for quite some time.

I just had to say that. Oh yeah, thanks Rip!
  • Options
    It is funny how palates can differ. I agree with you 100%.
    dennisking:
    I loved both the ESG and Casa Fuente reviews. I have yet to try an ESG but I'm sure I will soon. I'm surprised you were disappointed with the CF. I found the Lancero (the only Cameroon vitola I smoked) to be fantastic and a better balance than the Carlito. I actually enjoyed it as much or more than the Partagas 150. Its funny how palates can differ.
  • Options
    History of Cohiba Behike:
    Habanos, S.A. presents Cohiba Behike, which will be the most exclusive l
  • Options
    zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    fantastic review!! I love both the 52 and 54's!! your review is making me want to light one up tonight.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    beautiful romantic review Rip! I closed my eyes, puckered my lips, reached over to you. All to realize it was just a dream. sad face :(
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Great write up as always! Don't suppose you'd be into doing a trade for one?
  • Options
    Excellent review. I may smoke one tonight to remind myself what good tobacco tastes like.