Home General Discussion

Mold?

Just pulled everything out of the coolidor to reorganize, and saw this. Is it mold? Do I need to do anything? I haven't noticed anything anywhere else. image

Comments

• catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Noah...I have no clue what that is....which is precisely why I would pull it.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    catfishbluezz:
    Oh I'm definitely pulling the Xicar beads... just not sure if I need to take any other measures. I don't see any spots on the interior of the cooler, which is good. Guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled. God knows, with this three-stick-per-day habit I've developed, I'll be sure to spot anything right away!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    ndhaon91:
    catfishbluezz:
    Oh I'm definitely pulling the Xicar beads... just not sure if I need to take any other measures. I don't see any spots on the interior of the cooler, which is good. Guess I'll just keep my eyes peeled. God knows, with this three-stick-per-day habit I've developed, I'll be sure to spot anything right away!
    If you have enogh pillows, tupperware/bag waht you have and wipe the insides down with alcohol and let it breathe for a day or two. Then hit is with dawn and let it dry out. That's what I would do...and go with heartfetl beads.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I know the beads can get discolored but that's funky looking.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    looks like mold,, but I dont want to make any assumptions,,looks like you caught it before it got out of hand,, remember be sure you use distilled water when charging your gel crystals,,, If you do decide to wipe your humi down, use some distilled water,, say half a cup with a few drops of isopropyl,, you can also lighty "lightly" sand your humi with some 1000 or finer grit.. But my hunch is that your humi is fine..
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    looks like something not good for the cigar. This is a reason I only use Boveda packs for all my humidors.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    It's mold, get rid of it and keep a close eye on your sticks.

"Long ashes my friends."

• stadstad Posts: 396 ✭✭
    One of the best mold treatments you can do is to treat with distilled vinegar. I have used it in humidors and anything else that I needed to clean up. Since in live in the pacific northwest this happens at least once a year on something. Anyway, you can mix a little vinegar in a squirt bottle and add water; 1 part vinegar, 5 parts distilled water and lightly spray it down and then wipe and rinse. Leave the humidor open over night and you won't have any vinegar smell left. I have bought old/used humidors and have done this many times. The mold won't grow back unless you let things get out of hand.