Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Tax protest

KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
I highly doubt that the mainstream media would say this, but around 15 to 20,000 people showed up at the tax protest tea party here in Atlanta yesterday. Thier might be hope for this country after all.

"Long ashes my friends."

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there were two in my area

small town medina ohio had about 1000 and 1500 from the Canton tea party. most people havent even heard of that town.

if they keep up there will be no way the media can ignore it.

i think Cincy had about 4000
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I heard a little something about the one in Boston. I think they had a couple in Dallas as well.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    so did they dump tea in the water or did they just block traffic?
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    so did they dump tea in the water or did they just block traffic?
    They formed into a big capital T while wearing the same color shirts. :)
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    My wife went to one of those in Fresno. She said there was a huge turnout but the demographics were a bit...lopsided.
  • Options
    I see, so what exactly is this suppose to accomplish? (no I'm not being a smartass)
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Well I suppose the idea is that a large scale, public protest carried out in many different areas would be likely to illicit a response by the powers that be. Think along the lines of the civil rights protests and demonstrations from the 60's and numerous public protests throughout history. Whether it will work, and by that I mean whether the government will give a hoot, is up in the air, but if they're smart they'll at least consider that an action that displeases the masses may not be the wisest course.
  • Options
    Jetmech_63Jetmech_63 Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭
    I think along the same lines as Joe on this one. The more public display of disagreement with the governement that can be mustered, the higher the chance the something in washington wil finally click with someone. If i wasnt on det i would have gone too. I write CA congressmen and the CA assemblymen. I go to protests as i can, normally i make time for them. I feel like i need to make my voice heard. If i, or everyone, took the attitude of "well no matter how much we do this they'll never listen", i dont want to think of how that would be. Like the american people just gave up. I will not go quietly, i'll go swingin.
  • Options
    well it would hurt I'm sure.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    phobicsquirrel:
    I see, so what exactly is this suppose to accomplish? (no I'm not being a smartass)
    same thing that all the protests of bush were supposed to accomplish:
    a public statement that you are unhappy with the way things are running.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Jetmech_63:
    I think along the same lines as Joe on this one. The more public display of disagreement with the governement that can be mustered, the higher the chance the something in washington wil finally click with someone. If i wasnt on det i would have gone too. I write CA congressmen and the CA assemblymen. I go to protests as i can, normally i make time for them. I feel like i need to make my voice heard. If i, or everyone, took the attitude of "well no matter how much we do this they'll never listen", i dont want to think of how that would be. Like the american people just gave up. I will not go quietly, i'll go swingin.
    I have to agree 100% about feeling that you need to stand up and make your voice heard no matter if most people are saying that whatever you want to change will never happen. Many people probably don't realize, but thier were ALOT more loyalists during the revolutionary war than their were people fighting England. What would have happened if the few decided not to fight for something they believed in? Same principle applies to the Tea Parties and the FairTax rallies.

"Long ashes my friends."