Home Non Cigar Related
Options

A communal address list?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Would anyone be interested in something that we could all access and enter the info into a secure web page? Password protected and all that?

Just a thought.

Wait, wait. Let me put my fire suit on.
Ok, flame on!
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Something like this exists, though not on a website. Personally, I'm against a consolidated list for reasons I've stated in the past. It's not an issue of people having my info, but rather a concern with "what if it somehow fell into the wrong hands"?. I trust the people here, but that trust extends exactly that far.

I like the old way of getting an address, that is to say you found a person who did a trade with your intended target and approached them to get the info. I think it fostered a lot more communication with members you maybe didn't know so well, whereas the idea of a consolidated list seems so impersonal to me. I don't know, I was in the minority then, and I'll probably be in the minority now, but that pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    I've done this a year or two ago (though not as a website). I don't really update it anymore as there was a huge debacle when a few BOTLs decided that a huge list floating around wasn't appealing to them (though no private info was ever leaked to spammers, unsavory characters, etc).

If I remember correctly, I think the general consensus of the forum was that if you wanted a private list, make your own and ask for addresses individually.
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j0z3r:
    Something like this exists, though not on a website. Personally, I'm against a consolidated list for reasons I've stated in the past. It's not an issue of people having my info, but rather a concern with "what if it somehow fell into the wrong hands"?. I trust the people here, but that trust extends exactly that far.

I like the old way of getting an address, that is to say you found a person who did a trade with your intended target and approached them to get the info. I think it fostered a lot more communication with members you maybe didn't know so well, whereas the idea of a consolidated list seems so impersonal to me. I don't know, I was in the minority then, and I'll probably be in the minority now, but that pretty much sums up my feelings on the issue.
    Kind of thought that was the consensus, but had to ask. ; )
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    wwhwang:
    I've done this a year or two ago (though not as a website). I don't really update it anymore as there was a huge debacle when a few BOTLs decided that a huge list floating around wasn't appealing to them (though no private info was ever leaked to spammers, unsavory characters, etc).
    And that wasn't really the issue then or now Wayne, at least not from my perspective. It was about the possibility, nothing more. The simple fact of the matter is that if the list doesn't exist, it can't fall into the wrong hands. I don't doubt for a second that your intentions were good and that you yourself wouldn't be responsible for any leaks, but once it's out of your hands you lose all control over where it goes.

I didn't always feel this way, but when I saw what I felt to be irresponsible sharing of the list, such as some people sending out to the list to others that nobody knew and who hadn't been around for much time, my views changed. There's probably more than a dash of paranoia in that viewpoint, but then again just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me. Big Smile [:D]
  • Options
    bigfnstevebigfnsteve Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭
    I think its fun to gather addys. It forces you to branch out and talk to folks you might not interact with regularly or ever. Its part of the game. A consolidated list might be nice and easy but who around here likes that?! :p
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    im with joe. i dotn want my info out there unless i put it out there.
  • Options
    cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I know where you live..
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    There are enough cut-throat, back stabbing, scumbag traitors on this forum to secure the info you need. I'm just sayin.
  • Options
    The SniperThe Sniper Posts: 3,910
    kuzi16:
    You're just trying to avoid being bombed.

It wont work. :-)

• Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    The Sniper:
    kuzi16:
    You're just trying to avoid being bombed.

It wont work. :-)

Oh, it's out there...and it's safe and secure.
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I know where you live..
    That's funny Greg, I'm pretty sure I know you where you live as well. I have a few addys if someone needs one or two.