Home General Discussion

I just can't bring myself to smoke it.

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Bored again, so here we go.

Did you ever get a cigar from a brother or someone that you just couldn't bring yourself to smoke?
Such a fine cigar, maybe one you have had before, that you know it's there and waiting for you.
Then when you reach for it, you know it will be awesome, but something in the back of your mind goes, "once you smoke it, it's gone. When will you get another?"
I currently have a couple cigars in my humi from some awesome brothers, that I keep reaching for, but end up putting them back. I know, they are for smoking and I don't want to be disrespectful to the brothers who sent them, but damn, they are tremendous cigars and it's so hard to put a flame to them. LOL!

So am I the only one who runs into this?
In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    I just went through that tonight with the Ruination, it was the only one I had and I didn't want to smoke it and find out how amazing it is, but I smoked it and found out how amazing it is. Now I wish I had more.
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Everyday with a Le Vertite 2009.
  • armaes8armaes8 Posts: 279
    I find myself doing the same with the Reqonquista, and the Cain F Lancero.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never! Ill light up any great cigar, anytime! I do save some for special occasions, but I never hesitate to burn anything. You can always always buy more! Well, almost. But anyway, they're there to smoke!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Life's short. Go for it.
  • skweekzskweekz Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    It seems I've ended up with an entire section of my humidor with these exact smokes in there. But several of them have a date with destiny picked out (a certain one for father's day, another for my birthday, one for Veteran's day, something special for my daughter's birthday and so on)
  • armaes8:
    I find myself doing the same with the Reqonquista, and the Cain F Lancero.
    Why save the cain f lancero? My b&m has 3 boxes left still you could always get more. They maybe short runs but I think I'm the only 1 in ohio who buys em
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another AF curly head. After trying one not too long ago (barf), "I just can't bring myself to smoke it"
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • danielzreyes:
    I have another AF curly head. After trying one not too long ago (barf), "I just can't bring myself to smoke it"
    lol first cigar I ever smoked. Got it at a truck stop for a buck fifty
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Pretty much every cohiba I have....as I know they need years... The behike Greg gave me is buried under dozens of Johnny o's
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I got sent 3 very very expensive and rare sticks last year by a brother and around Christmas I just decided to light em up. I didn't regret it one bit. Just do it. They are meant to be enjoyed.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    I don't save cigars for sentimental reasons.
    Whenever I reach into the humi, everything's in play.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    I have a Behike Greg gave me that is waiting for something truly special. Also have a Shark that I got from Rick that I am saving. Those are only being saved for personal reasons, not really due to the rarity. When I wanna fire one up, I will do so without regret.
  • chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Well I'd have to say the only liga privada no 9 pig I have. I am sure a time will come when I get the chones to smoke it.
  • ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    I used to feel the same way, brother. I would horde certain cigars, certain that I would never find another. Then, I found the forum and the generosity of the Brotherhood. Through this group of mangy scoundrels I discovered that even your most sacred cigar has a brother, sister, cousin or long lost uncle out there somewhere.
    My recommendation is to constantly update your favorites and wishlist, even if you have to do it every week. Someone is gonna go snooping and decide, "Hey, I've got a few of the sticks he wants to try!", and the next thing you know... Smoke 'em, that's why you have them.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    chemforever:
    Well I'd have to say the only liga privada no 9 pig I have. I am sure a time will come when I get the chones to smoke it.
    You owe it to yourself to smoke the Pig. Seriously.
  • firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    Steve2010:
    chemforever:
    You owe it to yourself to smoke the Pig. Seriously.
    The #9 pig is/was my best smoking experiance to date. I would sell my left nut for a couple more ;)
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    I used to feel the same way, brother. I would horde certain cigars, certain that I would never find another. Then, I found the forum and the generosity of the Brotherhood. Through this group of mangy scoundrels I discovered that even your most sacred cigar has a brother, sister, cousin or long lost uncle out there somewhere.
    My recommendation is to constantly update your favorites and wishlist, even if you have to do it every week. Someone is gonna go snooping and decide, "Hey, I've got a few of the sticks he wants to try!", and the next thing you know... Smoke 'em, that's why you have them.
    +1...also, what smokes u hanging on to 0patience?
  • That is what I,m going threw right know I have those Casa fuente sticks I brought back from Vegas. my favorite thus far. I open the humidor see them and know there my best, but say the same thing once these are gone ill never get any more because you can only get those in Vegas.
  • robertgreen30robertgreen30 Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭
    I feel ya there, I have a Cuban H. Upmann that is siting in my humidor just waiting for me to smoke but just can't bring myself to smoke it
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mmccartneydc:
    Toombes:
    Gosh I don't know. Could be a T daddy that is eyeing me. ; )
    Or possibly the partagas lusitania that another BOTL sent me.
    Part of the problem to is when you get cigars like that, you want a time when you aren't bothered and can just relax and enjoy it. In my house, that isn't often. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Sounds like an ISOM I managed to come across; currently saving and aging them for a special occasoin
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    0patience:
    mmccartneydc:
    Toombes:
    Gosh I don't know. Could be a T daddy that is eyeing me. ; )
    Or possibly the partagas lusitania that another BOTL sent me.
    Part of the problem to is when you get cigars like that, you want a time when you aren't bothered and can just relax and enjoy it. In my house, that isn't often. LOL!
    Well I say smoke it! I know where there is more!!!!! Lol
  • JHeweyJHewey Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭
    Another for me is GOF 2005
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    I couldn't have said it better
    beatnic:
    Life's short. Go for it.
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    danielzreyes:
    I was puzzled by the first sentence, laughing at the next!
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have a handfull of cigars with over 10 year on em. those are difficult to pull out of the humidor.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Often in human affairs, diametrically opposite propositions are equally true in the same time and place. Like "save the best for last" and "no time like the present". The only way I have found out of such a dilemma is to set a milestone. You say: "I am going to blow X when Y".
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    I do this all the damn time. I've actually dug through my humidor and been so indecisive about what I want to smoke, that I ended up not smoking anything! Yes, stupid I know.

I have trouble smoking a few cigars that I know would be difficult to replace i.e. some ISOMs etc.

But I also have trouble smoking cigars because of age. Let me 'splain - if I have a cigar that's been sitting for 10 months, I'll put it back and think "I bet this will be even better after a year". Then after a year "I bet this will be better after 18 months" etc. I've been getting better about this lately and will just grab something and smoke it without too much deliberation anymore.
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I share the same sentiment as Gray4lines, skweekz, and webmost - I don't have any cigars that are "off-limits" but I do have some cigars that I'm saving for special occasions. (i.e. wedding/honeymoon, birthday, holidays, etc.) These special-occasion smokes have their own little section in the humi so I don't get tempted and grab them before the special dates....but other than that everything's fair game.

I like to rummage through the humi and just pick whatever feels right for that day - it's almost like picking a letter on a Ouija board when I go searching for a smoke - I just let my hand hover around until I find the "right" cigar for that moment.

But if I had cigars with 10+ years age or some irreplaceable ISOMs I'm sure it wouldn't be as easy to just light them up on a whim....

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *